Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapy watch that I love

• 19-07-2011 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

My sister gave me a watch from Oasis for Christmas 09 which I absolutely love. However, the needley thing on the side of the face that winds the watch (I am SO sorry for sounding like a complete moron to you all here :o) got caught in a zip and came out. I brought it into a jeweller's (not a very friendly guy anyway so wouldn't give him my business!) who told me it would probably cost a good bit more than the watch's value to get it fixed. The watch is only worth around 40 euro and is still available to buy online but I'd rather fix the one my sister gave me if I could.

Anyone here have any ideas of costs of this? Or somewhere I could go to get it priced? Anywhere in Leinster (including Dublin) or Waterford would be great!

Thanks! (and apologies again for my lack of watch-related terminology!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

A while back I had the stem of one of my watches replaced as it was broken and I was charged €45 in a FastFix shop. It seems that your man is right in saying is not worth the trouble, but if the watch has some sentimental value, then by no means go and repair it, but be prepared to pay more than a new watch.

I'd say any watchmaker would be able to fix it for you and there are plenty of them in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭marcus1971

If it has sentimental value and you really want to keep the one you have, I would just either watch ebay for another one or buy one for 40 euro and swap out the crown and stem from that one, its a really easy swap, it would be easy enough to talk you through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Thanks so much for the replies- as it turns out, I was cleaning out the car the other day and I found the stem itself, but there's obviously something I need to do in order to get it to stay in the side of the watch? Cos if I stick it in the side as it is, it'd just fall out.

Probably just easier to buy a new one though I suppose! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I would do what Marcus above suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭marcus1971

If you consider the watch useless to you now as it is not worth paying to get fixed why not just have a go at trying to fix it yourself?

Its likely a quartz watch, you can usually open the scaseback really easily and on most quartz watches there is usually a button/tab marked "push" it, if its not marked its easy enough to identify it, it maybe just a case of pressing this button while re-inserting the stem (assuming the stem is still in one piece) and releasing the button when the stem is in.

If you take a picture of the stem it should be easy enough to see if it is in one piece and a piece has not snapped off.

If you take pictures of the caseback it would be easy to tell you how to get it off

If you take pictures of the movement it will be easy enough to tell you how to get the stem back in.

And if it doesn't work, no loss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement