Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite subject!

• 19-07-2011 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Just doing this as a personal project to see what are peoples favourite subjects and why. When you choose could you leave a comment why the subject you have chosen is your favourite and feel free to expand!

Thanks ;)

^^
    Economics is my choice as I find it very interesting and the exam has a very good choice of questions! :)

What is/was your favourite subject? 106 votes

Irish
    0% 0 votes
    English
    0% 1 vote
    Maths
    8% 9 votes
    French/ Spanish/ German (European Language)
    14% 15 votes
    History
    10% 11 votes
    Geography
    5% 6 votes
    DCG
    5% 6 votes
    Business
    3% 4 votes
    Accounting
    1% 2 votes
    Economics
    2% 3 votes
    Biology
    3% 4 votes
    Chemistry
    12% 13 votes
    Physics
    8% 9 votes
    Applied Maths
    5% 6 votes
    Technology
    1% 2 votes
    Art
    0% 0 votes
    Home-Economics
    0% 1 vote
    Construction Studies
    2% 3 votes
    Music
    2% 3 votes
    Engineering
    4% 5 votes
    Other (please specify)
    2% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

Cool poll :)

Biology, because it's interesting, and you learn a lot about real life - like the nutrition section, reproduction section etc, stuff that's good to know outside of school. My teacher wasn't the best, but classes were never a bore, and I found it easy to learn and understand.

Hoping to become a Maths and Biology teacher :D

Oh and I was torn between Maths and Geography as well as Biology, but Biology just about edges it!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

I said French because it was the first that came to mind, but really I like all my subjects...it's difficult to choose a favourite. Sure I hated Geography and Religion for the Junior but I love everything I've chosen for the LC :3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Business. It's interesting and easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I liked all of them pretty much. I'd say it would have to be a tie between English and Chemistry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Mathematics...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

has to be chemistry... bit tricky in some places but makes you think and its interesting:)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nuggetclv

Maths -
    For the rest of the exams, you're tested on how much of the book you can learn off in my opinion. Maths teacher was the best. This subject asks something of you, at HL anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Geography, in my opinion, is the most interesting subject by far (not to mention most relevant). I've been fascinated with the subject since I was very young... always getting globes, atlases etc. :D Geography class is the only class in school I always really look forward to.
    Although I also love learning about business, science and world religions.
    I like to speak Irish and German but for some reason I always find language classes (no matter how much I am fascinated by the language) immensely boring.
    Really I like all subjects bar English and Maths *shudder at the thought of having to spend another year learning them*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Laika_

English, without a doubt. I was delighted to have the opportunity to study Shakespeare for the LC. Wasn't too taken with the poets this year, but loved Hopkins. P I is an excellent test of raw ability under pressure (if you are not learning off a short story!)- something not always tested so thoroughly in the LC. I will really miss it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

Geo10 wrote: »
    I've been fascinated with the subject since I was very young... always getting globes, atlases etc.

Thought I was the only one! I knew all the capitals, all the populations, all the land areas. I'd spend hours aimlessly flicking through atlases :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I voted Home Ec but meant Construction. Why? Doss of a class, barley had to go, spent a good bit of time making the project and practising for the practical, in which I'm confident I'll get >45% (max = 50%) of my final grade. Add to that the paper is the easiest paper I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Nagikami

I voted Other for Japanese It's a pretty awesome subject, it's interesting, the exam is really easy (43.4% of students got As last year) and it's useful Also I love languages so that helps too =D And watching anime comes under studying for Japanese in my book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Physics; I loved my teacher and there were only 5 of us in the class so it was always really fun. We all grew really close over the past 2 years and called each other our physics family (all girls school :P).
    Our teacher made it really hands on and if any of us didn't understand something she would explain it until we all clearly understood it. The subject itself is really nice and easy to understand as it is basically about the world around us.

I love physics! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

English is my strongest, but my favourite is Latin, without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Its gotta be music. LOVE it so much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Nagikami wrote: »
    I voted Other for Japanese It's a pretty awesome subject, it's interesting, the exam is really easy (43.4% of students got As last year) and it's useful Also I love languages so that helps too =D And watching anime comes under studying for Japanese in my book
    Do you think it would be possible to take up Japanese in one year on your own and get an A/B in HL?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Nagikami

Do you think it would be possible to take up Japanese in one year on your own and get an A/B in HL?

If you work at it then I don't see why not Especially as it is one of the easiest subjects at LC level
    I'd definitely advise you to get the Nihongo Kantan textbook as it covers most of the stuff you need to learn for the LC exam
    The exam itself is quite easy For the written (HL) you have to do 3 reading comprehensions and a small grammar question after each Then there's a cultural question which takes up about 6 lines, 2 essays, the 1st about 200 characters and the second about 320 characters (which is about half a page and a page respectively) The listening is incredibly easy compared to other languages ie French, German, Irish etc, and the Oral isn't that bad either with 3 sections: 1. General Conversation (incredibly easy, stuff like your family, where you live etc), 2. Short Speech-type thing (You choose a topic off a face-down card you chose Usually covers the same type of stuff as section 1 but in more detail like My Favourite Book or Sports) and 3. Photos (You choose a photo at random and you have to decribe it) And starting from this year's LC you actually get sent a list (about a month before) of what Topics come up in the speech section and the 4 photos that come up in section 3

So yeah you could do it in about a year, I think (Btw this sounds like a lot but it's not)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

Has to be maths for me simply because I enjoy it so much. I'm one of those weird people who actually enjoys doing their maths homework because I find it so fun:D. English on the other hand sends shivers down my spine at just the thought of scribbling down some mindless iterations for an essay about some play or novel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

French/Irish for me but I have to say I liked all of mine save Geography.

For good reason a lot of people's favourite subject= the subject they're best at it. Which is exactly why you should pick ones you like if you can at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

Sorry made a mistake with this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ryan087

probably biology because it was the only honours subject I did. God I did so bad in that leaving cert it's not even funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

brian93 wrote: »
    Thought I was the only one! I knew all the capitals, all the populations, all the land areas. I'd spend hours aimlessly flicking through atlases :D

Ditto! :D My aunties and uncles used to always test me on all the capitals, populations of countries/ cities etc. when I was young! What's scary is I knew more capitals of the world when I was like 8/9 than I do now because I don't have time any more to be constantly reading atlases etc. with the stresses of secondary school! :D They should put capitals, identifying countries/ states/ counties, populations of places etc. on the LC Geography syllabus :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

I like most of what I'm doing but my favourite has to be applied maths... or something maths/physics related :P </nerd>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Physics woop :D

:cool: Irish has no votes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Probably Chemistry.

Followed closely by Physics and Japanese though.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

Engineering, fierce interesting - something new always comes along.

That said; the satisfaction from HL maths is unreal, and the flow of Irish sounds amazing (if you can do it :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

0 Irish - European Language 7

Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Leaving Cert 2013

Japanese all the way:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Iceuil

Was torn between chemistry and geography. Absolutely love both of them, but voted for chemistry, because I am thinking of studying it further.

Advertisement