Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford Hotels?

• 19-07-2011 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Myself and my boyfriend are thinking of going to Waterford for 5 nights the first week in September I would really appreciate it if anyone could recommend a good hotel or holiday let in the city I have been on Tripadvisor and was thinking the Fitzwilton looked the best and within budget but lately the reviews seem to be very poor. I would really appreciate advice as I dont want our choice of accomadation to ruin our holiday:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Google the Granville or the Tower - they're all around the same area on the river front.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

we stayed at the fitzwilton 2 years or so back when they were run by dunnes and i have to say it was a nice hotel without being overly flashy or anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

Hi there
    I went to Waterford with my wife for the weekend earlier this year and to be honest our experience was the weekend was too long.
    We stayed in The Tower Hotel and while the hotel itself was fine it was the lack of entertainment down there.Saturday morning we drove to Tramore and there was 4 cars in the town (ours one of them)
    Saturday afternoon we went to the cinema which was a rare treat for us so we enjoyed that and then Sunday was a Garden Center Fest.

We found the food quality in resturants poor and on the two nights we went out for dinner had to give our food back as it was raw inside(shank of lamb & Chicken)

While I admit that we were there before the season started you are talking about the end of season so it could be just the same.

These are our honest thoughts of Waterford and I do appreciate that many people have had great times down there but we would recommend somewhere else

We are off to Madrid in September ourselves for 4 days so hope it will be better
    Whatever your decision hope you have a good time

Sorry if I offended anyone from the area its just our experience

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ted123

Thanks for your suggestions we are thinking of heading to Cork for a few days instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Blue Punto wrote: »
    Saturday morning we drove to Tramore and there was 4 cars in the town (ours one of them)

I find it very hard to believe there was only 4 cars in the town,you do know Tramore has a population of nearly 10,000 people?
    Ted123 wrote: »
    Thanks for your suggestions we are thinking of heading to Cork for a few days instead.

Dont be put off by one persons experience,there is a lot to see and do in Waterford,you said you are going in September,well the harvest festival is on from the 3rd to the 11th,have a look here
    http://www.waterfordharvestfestival.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I've stayed in the Fitzwilton a few times, its actually really nice! They always have good deals on if you like them on Facebook. Its probably the best hotel for that price in the city centre.

I live in Waterford and think theres plenty of things for tourists to do. Trip to the beaches, and the mountains. There are loads of great restaurants here and the nightlife isn't too bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MickDub

Hi there
    Saturday morning we drove to Tramore and there was 4 cars in the town (ours one of them)

I find it hard to believe that there was only 4 cars in the whole town!! Sounds like someone likes exaggerate!!
    So you went to a seaside town in Ireland in winter and you are winging about it!! what were you expecting?? Its not Madrid in September

Either this guy looks for things to complain about or he was just unlucky when he visited. There is no way you can say the food quality is bad in Waterford with Restaurants like
    L'Atmosphere
    La Boheme
    La Palma
    McLearys
    and cafe's like
    Adeles
    Harliguen
    Espresso

I would advise a weekend trip to waterford!

@Chris P. Bacon

I found it hard to believe aswell but as I said it was earlier in the year and early in the morning too.
    If there is a festival on at he time they are going Im sure the place will be hopping

@MickDub
    1st of all Welcome to Boards.ie

2nd I dont exaggerate

3rd One of the resturants on your list is guilty of serving me raw food(i wont name it due to it being a public forum)

4th I dont look for things to complain about

5th I am not winging about it.Ted123 asked for peoples thoughts and experiences and I gave mine .If you read my post correctly you will see I stated this clearly and did not say these things to offend people from the area which you obviously are.
    What was I expecting you ask ,well I was expecting more than we received.
    I said "These are our honest thoughts of Waterford and I do appreciate that many people have had great times down there"

I dont belittle anyone elses posts so I would be grateful if you could have some respect for mine
    Many thanks
    Blue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

3rd One of the resturants on your list is guilty of serving me raw food(i wont name it due to it being a public forum)

Have a look in the Waterford city forum they have a sticky of all the restaurants in Waterford,i couldn't see it been a problem in you giving an honest review of the place in there.

Ive moved on and I wont consider it constructive to be critical of the area anymore
    As I said lots have had great times down there Im sure ,but I didnt and Im the only one who responded to Ted123's question about personal experiences down there in a negative fashion which has caused enough in my mind.

Everyone to their own

• Advertisement
Advertisement