Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay Less tax if you have children.

Options
  • 19-07-2011 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

Please can someone help me out ?

The situation is, i work in Dublin whilst my girlfriend and 2 kids live back in wales. Every Thursday i go home untill Monday morning.

I am expecting a new job placement where i will be mon-fri and therefore were taking the plunge and they are moving over here. My kids are 3 and 9 months.

My salary will be in mid 30's range per year.

Can anyone help in terms of what benefits we would be entitled to, as she wont be working at least at first. Will i pay less tax because we have 2 children ?

I know theres family income supplement and child benefit but tax relief would be great also.

Thanks in advance.

Dan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

No you wont. IF you marry her you will get her tax credits.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Not sure but check if you are entitled to child benefit here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Not sure but check if you are entitled to child benefit here.

I would imagine they would be, considering they are paying out for children who dont even live in the country!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

m'lady wrote: »
    I would imagine they would be, considering they are paying out for children who dont even live in the country!

Do you mean would not?

"Child Benefit and EU Regulations

EU/EEA citizens and Swiss nationals working in Ireland satisfy the habitual residence condition for Child Benefit. This is also the case if the worker becomes unemployed and gets a jobseeker's payment.

If you are an EU/EEA citizen or a Swiss national and work in a country covered by EU Regulations, the country you work in usually pays Child Benefit even if your family is living in another country. However, if your children are living in another EU/EEA country you should still apply for any Family Benefits you are entitled to there.

You can find out more about Family Benefits and EU Regulations in Part 9 of the EU Guidelines on the Department of Social Protection's website and in the booklet 'Your social security rights in Ireland – a guide for EU citizens'. You can also contact the Child Benefit Section for more information on how EU rules affect Child Benefit - see 'Where to apply' below.

Countries covered by EU Regulations are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom (excluding the Channel Islands)"

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/child_benefit.html

Advertisement