Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C Pictures of Onion

• 19-07-2011 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

First time asking for C&C...so I've been asked to create the photograph for a book cover. It's an academic publication, a critical analysis of the German memoir Peeling the Onion - hence the motif ;-) I do not have access to any fancy lighting equipment or anything, so the set-up is pretty basic. I guess what I'm looking for is just your comments on which one of these works best (or not at all...) in terms of the angle, the tones, and the composition. Thanks!

IMG_8018.jpg

IMG_8037.jpg

IMG_8044.jpg

IMG_8047.jpg

IMG_8052.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Enough to bring tears to my eyes... My fav is 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

No. 4 for me - because its a traditional book size crop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

No. 4 for me - because its a traditional book size crop

No 4 for me aswell.. Has space at top of image for text aswell which is very important

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Out of the selection I'd say 4 as well. But why not try a few different ideas first? The book is about diving into the history and personality of this German guy who always has the tin drum with him - see if you can find one or make something that looks like one and place the onion on top of/in front of/something more creative/etc. Try peeling the onion more - get a red onion to make it more visually interesting. You can get some great shapes and colours from a red onion if you try.

Here's a mediocre example from a google search so don't use it:
    924781_onion_class_21.jpg

As for fancy lighting - try using a computer monitor or large LCD TV just out of frame, they're a great source of light in a darkened room and work great as a soft-box - just have it display a blank white page (or a different colour for effect). An A3 sheet of paper makes a great, cheap background too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Why not try a dark background in a dark room and use a
    spotlight directed on the onion (the red onion is a great idea)
    just the onion in a pool of light?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Thanks for comments and suggestions. Turns out the publisher prefers landscape, so your fav (and my own actually) no. 4 is out. I left the decision to the author and she (as well as the woman in the publishers) has her eye set on no. 3

Thanks for ideas whatelse I could do with the onion. I had originally started out taking pictures of a half-peeled onion, the layers just coming off, but wasn't happy with it. Might play around with a red onion though, just to see what it can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I dont know the book but tell me if this is totally out of context, old hands peeling an onion or a close up of an old face, from the nose down, hands peeling the onion as you would an orange and about to eat..... Just an idea to make it more different rather than an onion alone.....

Advertisement