Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many miles a week do I have to run to be ready for a marathon

Options
  • 19-07-2011 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I've finished 2 half marathons in the last 14 months and I've got a 3:rd half marathon coming up in about 2 months that I'm going to run! I currently run 20 miles a week and will increase it to 29 miles a week a couple of weeks before the actual race! The marathon I'm going to run is 11 months from now and I wonder how many miles a week I have to run a couple of weeks before that race!?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

jonas21 wrote: »
    I've finished 2 half marathons in the last 14 months and I've got a 3:rd half marathon coming up in about 2 months that I'm going to run! I currently run 20 miles a week and will increase it to 29 miles a week a couple of weeks before the actual race! The marathon I'm going to run is 11 months from now and I wonder how many miles a week I have to run a couple of weeks before that race!?

The 20 mile weeks you have been running for the last while will stand to you big time. Basically consistent training will have a cumulative effect on your over all aerobic capacity.
    Regarding your increase coming up to this race make sure to allow yourself 2-3 weeks before the race to drop the mileage for a taper to allow your body to recover to get the best out of your training.
    Regarding the marathon there is no exact figure which will assure you finish. I have seen people run one of 20 mile weeks and seen some 100 mile a week runners struggle and drop out.
    One suggestion which would be that after the Half start a slow progression of mileage. Perhaps start adding a mile or two a week. if you can keep this up consistently you will be hitting close to fifty miles a week by marathon time. There are also plenty of Marathon training plans available (for free) if you google which should set you on the right track

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jonas21

ecoli wrote: »
    The 20 mile weeks you have been running for the last while will stand to you big time. Basically consistent training will have a cumulative effect on your over all aerobic capacity.
    Regarding your increase coming up to this race make sure to allow yourself 2-3 weeks before the race to drop the mileage for a taper to allow your body to recover to get the best out of your training.
    Regarding the marathon there is no exact figure which will assure you finish. I have seen people run one of 20 mile weeks and seen some 100 mile a week runners struggle and drop out.
    One suggestion which would be that after the Half start a slow progression of mileage. Perhaps start adding a mile or two a week. if you can keep this up consistently you will be hitting close to fifty miles a week by marathon time. There are also plenty of Marathon training plans available (for free) if you google which should set you on the right track

Best of luck
    Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMaxGM1HyreOCbDCeQsUpgjF0JTEJEGZkwoEFrTV1-GuDrQbAXHA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

and remember on race day it isn't the distance that kills it's the pace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Have you looked at any of the marathon training schedules online ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I have a buddy who's done 2 full marathons (having done 4 or 5 halfs) and the bloke trains twice a week. NEVER MORE. He gets out on Fridays and Sundays and doesn't even bother with technicalities like MPM runs or Lactate Threshold or any of that malarky. He does get the long run up to about 34 k mind before the race but never does more than the two runs a week. His times were 3.59 and 3.54 or so and it's a tough course. I'd be curious to see what he could do if he trained "properly".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

I suppose as he isnt actually posting himself, we cant ask him anything about his training schedule !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

not that im advocating it or anything but i know a guy who doesnt train at all just does races and thats how he prepares for the marathon , a race a week ?!

Advertisement