Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doc takes cash only

Options
  • 19-07-2011 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Apologies in advance if this is not the correct place to post, but just wondering does it seem right that our local surgery (2 GPs) will not accept credit/debit cards and operate a cash only business? I've been caught out many times and have always thought of it as a minor nuisance, but now I'm wondering is it a legal way to operate or are they within their rights??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

They're perfectly within their rights.

Say thing in my local doctor's surgery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

They don't have to accept cards; that is purely a courtesy thing (and to help with business depending on who you ask).

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Completely legal I'm afraid. It costs them money to take card payments so I'd imagine that is one reason why they don't do it, also there might not be a huge demand for it, depends on their patient base.

My own GP only started taking cards a few years ago. When I was sick when I was younger and was going to the GP, my mum used to just give me a blank cheque (signed) and I'd fill it in when I was paying. GP was only around the corner. When they expanded the practice, then they got a card machine set up. If your GP is only a very small operation it might not be economical for them to use the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

No legal obligation on them to accept cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

2% commission & about €30 a month in fees so that a few customers can pay by card - not worth it for a small doctors practice.

I'd say very few doctors would have a credit card facility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No doubt the Revenue Commissioners keep them on their toes, as they do with all cash enterprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My mum's hairdressers never used to have a credit card machine. She would always pay by cheque to the business name so they couldn't just pocket it and leave it undeclared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

They are within their rights just to accept cash. Indeed it makes sense given the cost of funning a machine.

How could you get caught out a number of times though? Just go to the atm before you go ti the Surgery.

Pythia wrote: »
    My mum's hairdressers never used to have a credit card machine. She would always pay by cheque to the business name so they couldn't just pocket it and leave it undeclared.

The hairdresser could have two bank accounts in the name of the business, with each at a different bank, and could still get away with it. Of course, only one of them would appear in the balance sheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

wouldnt need to go to all that trouble. If 20% of the income was cheques, that still leaves 80%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The hairdresser could have two bank accounts in the name of the business, with each at a different bank, and could still get away with it. Of course, only one of them would appear in the balance sheet.

Jeez. Not every business in on a fiddle. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Paranoid much :confused:

Op - it is their choice to take cash only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

No discounts for mum.

Jeez. Not every business in on a fiddle. :rolleyes:

From my many years experience dealing with them, I'd say you're probably right, and it's only 99% of them.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Tomtata

My Local GP
    4x docs

Cash only and secretary only uses pencils for all payment / appointment records.
    My Family going there 10 years - Always a pencil.... ALWAYS

I'm convinced the rubber gets taken out on a weekly basis.
    €55 a pop - its sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭serfboard

OP, while they don't have to take a card, a lot of them do now alright. However, in places that don't take cards, I pay by cheque. In fact, I never pay cash anywhere (well, almost never).

Card or cheque. If I'm paying tax, you f**king well have to.

Cash, me ar$e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Ask for a receipt on cash transactions... Yes, its still fiddleable but makes it a little more difficult. Up to revenue to catch them out after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Forget about the doc - recent visit to a consultant in Blackrock clinic - cost €180 for approx 10 mins of his precious time, and will only accept cash. I pray and hope he is audited by the revenue every week of his life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 francomcdaddy

The taxman is putting the squeeze on businesses now so doctors will have to have squeaky clean books.

Have a read of this article - http://accountantguru.ie/revenue-commissioners
    It tells of recent activities where they collected names, addresses and telephone numbers from every flyer from notice boards in shops and shopping centre’s in Balltinglass, Co.Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CaseyBabes

Miaireland wrote: »
    They are within their rights just to accept cash. Indeed it makes sense given the cost of funning a machine.

How could you get caught out a number of times though? Just go to the atm before you go ti the Surgery.

Hmm, why didn't I think of that?? Firstly there's no ATM within a 10 mile radius of my house or the surgery and secondly I'm usually running with one of two infants under 3 after a night of raging temps. But thank you for your helpful suggestion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

1st time I went to a doctor in this country I was AMAZED that I had to pay him directly and he put the 50 into a wallet in his inside pocket....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

My doc doesn't take cards either and as someone who doesn't generally carry €55+ cash on me (because I'd just spend it :rolleyes:) it's a hassle to drive to the local shopping centre and hope their machine is working (I'm screwed if it's not).

If the surgery takes about three patients an hour - that's €165. Say six hours a day - €990, x5 days = €4950 per week minimum. It's not asking much surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Wait do businesses have to accept cheques?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Wait do businesses have to accept cheques?

No is the answer to that. If you do not want to pay the charge, be it cash or cheque or card, do not go!. Cheques bounce, cash doesn't.

CaseyBabes wrote: »
    Hmm, why didn't I think of that?? Firstly there's no ATM within a 10 mile radius of my house or the surgery and secondly I'm usually running with one of two infants under 3 after a night of raging temps. But thank you for your helpful suggestion!

A 2 GP practice and no ATM within a 10 mile radius, where is it, in the mountains and the wild ?? :confused:

If you're always cashless and they don't accept cards (which they're perfectly within their rights to do), how have you ever paid them, by the way ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

A 2 GP practice and no ATM within a 10 mile radius, where is it, in the mountains and the wild ?? :confused:

10 miles is nothing in rural parts - I'm in Kildare and I'd be about 10 miles from nearest ATM and 4 miles from nearest shop. Yet still just 40 minutes from central Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you pay cash, always ask for a receipt. Especially if you can claim back some of the cost from your health insurance company.

I have no issues with places choosing to operate on a cash basis - it does keep costs down. But always ask for a receipt.

maxer68 wrote: »
    10 miles is nothing in rural parts - I'm in Kildare and I'd be about 10 miles from nearest ATM and 4 miles from nearest shop. Yet still just 40 minutes from central Dublin!

Yeah I know what you mean, plus we don't realise how convenient we have it in the urban areas, most places operate with card facilities, and if they don't, you're never too far from a shop with an ATM or at least gives cashback, we're spoilt really !!!

OP don't forget to ask for a reciept as has been said, it's only fair they issue you one for your cash. That way you can keep track of your expenditure and they will have the copy to put through their accounts. Revenue are conducting spot checks on GP surgeries at the moment, I've heard it happen recently in my area. It's in their own interests to have records of income up to scratch for the dreaded call from the 'Taxman'.

Advertisement