Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 so far

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

How is that now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

There isn't much major label rap music worth checking out at the moment cos the majors tamper with the albums so much. Works well for singles but doesn't make for any albums you could really wholeheartedly recommend. The Throne wasn't bad but a bit patchy overall. Can't even think of any other major contenders. Most of the artists mentioned in this thread are mainstream in terms of internet audience anyway. Heavily blogged about/ talked about. It's not like nobodies heard of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    How is that now?

Well you completely misunderstood my post, so your reply made no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

By worthless did you mean there was no money in it or that is was shít to listen to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Orizio wrote: »
    This mainstream/underground ****e became worthless a decade ago. Actually it was always worthless but the artists took a while to cop on.

Good music is good music dudes.
    i totally agree, personally ill listen to anything that moves me, the message is irrelevant.
    thats why its strange to me that people base their preferences on whats being said in the music.

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    By worthless did you mean there was no money in it or that is was shít to listen to?
    neither from what i can make out, the argument was ridiculous because its all good maybe is what he means?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I'm just saying the mainstream/underground debate is long over, and was detrimental to Hip-Hop anyway way back when. Its best to just look for good music, regardless of labels or popularity, which is what most are doing these days anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭ImGettinPaper

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    why is that? My view of this is that if you take some maintream artist song, re-arrange the verses, substitute a verse from another song on thier album, there probably wont be much difference. You'll end up with the same song. Thier songs lack a bit of though, it sounds like the verses were just written and thrown over a beat the fit with timing. You normally get the 3 verse, 3 hook, same bars song patterns over and over again. And over the span of the album, you can tell which ones are going to be singles.
    Admititly, there are some exclusions from this, not only in the mainstream, but it's more prevelant there. Even hip hop from the old school/golden era is like this. But after hearing the progression that has been made in the craft of a song and album, I like to hear more of that rather than more of the same.
    It's strange to me too because an artist can say anything and make it sound good. Take Eminems stuff just before he got off the drugs!! It sounds good although he wasn't saying anything. It's not what you say it's how you say it. That's musical and artistic. Anyway, just opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭SM01

I really really like the Action Bronson album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

SM01 wrote: »
    I really really like the Action Bronson album.
    I must check this out actually, heard some good things about it

• Advertisement

Think that action Bronson guy is another flavor of the month rapper whose not very good.
    His insistence on letting it all hang out in his videos is a bit odd as well, and sickening.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think Action Bronson has got some serious skills as an MC, but I get the feeling he wont be able to deliver a solid full length.

Also, Mr. Muthaf*ckin Exquire is one of the best things i've heard this year:

http://mishkanyc.bandcamp.com/album/...in-translation

Astronautalis' album is also up there.

Advertisement