Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

depression from drinking

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

hondasam wrote: »
    I'm not planning on committing suicide. It's just a few words.

its good :D

haters be hatin :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Yeah, you seem busy all right :P
    Ha ha. Flat to the mats :-)

nah its a party booked in for later on- taking it handy while I can :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

hondasam wrote: »
    I'm not planning on committing suicide. It's just a few words.

Better.

Suicide is away !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    The OP said "they did the dog on it all week". That's what I based my opinions on.

The semantics seem to be upsetting you. Perhaps his use of depression sent YOU over the edge in the regard of which it was worded. I doubt for a second as a result of his drinking he might consider medical help for depression - it upset you how it was worded. He was merely alluding that he was somewhat shattered from his alcohol excesses.

Okay, it annoys you, but he did mention that he didn't impinge on anyone else whilst doing so, had some liquid fun and a bit of a laugh for a few hours too many of a week and that was that. Maybe he was terribly in demand from his friends and/or whoever and indulged with each and every one to sate their whimsical demands to imbibe all that lovely alcohol (or the sinful Devil's nectar as you might see it):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

du Maurier wrote: »
    .....or the sinful Devil's nectar as you might see it

There is no call to be a childish patronising git about it. At no stage have I said anything that indicates that I would have that opinion.

CLARIFICATION : You don't have to view burger and chips as "Devil's Food" to realise that having 10 burgers & chips is stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Back on topic please.

I get the fear something awful after a heavy session. It's part of the reason I give up drinking regularly. Saying that, I came back from a stag in Liverpool over the weekend and was feeling quite ropey yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...its not worth it after a while. It's rare I'd go on the batter now - its just too much grief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

ArtyC wrote: »
    Have done the dog on it all week. Now in work with horrible booze blues. Anybody have a cure:-(

Suffer. As a German once put it, 'Out of life's school of war that which does not destroy me makes me stronger'. Or, as an Irishman inspirationally put it before dying on the 74th day of his hunger strike, 'it is not those who inflict the most bus those who endure the most who will ultimately triumph'

AKA: Give up the drink and enjoy or endure your emotions. You can't truly enjoy life, unless you've endured it. Think about that. In the long term as long as you're going to have to wake up every morning it's better to face your emotions than numb them temporarily with alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    There is no call to be a childish patronising git about it. At no stage have I said anything that indicates that I would have that opinion.

CLARIFICATION : You don't have to view burger and chips as "Devil's Food" to realise that having 10 burgers & chips is stupid.

There's no call to be so sanctimonious either. You understand how literal you are taking it and just going with it for argument's sake. You know you're kind of out on a limb here, but there's no real need to contest it with you as you have your own reasons as to the underlying kernal of your abrasiveness on a rather tame subject the OP initially broached. Have the last word if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

You wouldn't get this with the herb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

Don't feel too bad OP, we all get it. Got some sound advice yesterday that certainly helped me. Sadly I couldn't do all four.

1- Ice cold lucozade sport
    2- Eat something
    3-have sex
    4- Sleep.

Time heals all wounds, battle on soldier.

Which couldnt you do ?

Dont let us down :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I know this is after hours and I know you are having the craic but It is not uncommon for people who are feeling depressed to drink alcohol because alcohol can provide some short term relief for the symptoms of depression. Some people with depression also have insomnia and alcohol can help to put one to sleep as well.

However, long term heavy drinking can sometimes induce symptoms of depression in people who were never depressed before. Moreover, long term heavy drinking can also worsen the symptoms of a pre-existing depression. You may feel better while you are intoxicated, but the morning after drinking the depression may actually be even worse than it was before.Fortunately, a reduction in alcohol intake or a period of abstinence can generally clear up an alcohol induced depression in a few weeks.;) cheers and I am outa here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Exercise and a good routine.

When I get the drinking blues it seems so tempting to stay in bed for ever and eat

doesn't get you back on track, just fast tracks you for a spot on Jeremy Kyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

super-rush wrote: »
    You wouldn't get this with the herb.

No, you'd be more likely to get a few months inside.
    Great little country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

du Maurier wrote: »
    There's no call to be so sanctimonious either. You understand how literal you are taking it and just going with it for argument's sake. You know you're kind of out on a limb here, but there's no real need to contest it with you as you have your own reasons as to the underlying kernal of your abrasiveness on a rather tame subject the OP initially broached. Have the last word if you want.

You're reading into it too much.

All I'm challenging is the supposed "norm" that suggests that if you do something idiotic and suffer the consequences, then you get no sympathy or advice here in AH and get slagged off.

But for some reason if that stupidity involves alcohol, the reverse applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mikom wrote: »
    No, you'd be more likely to get a few months inside.
    Great little country.

We're not unique in that stupidity, in fairness.

Advertisement