Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How good is evil dead

Options
  • 19-07-2011 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Im going to watch this for the first time tonight, is it any good? is it scary?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Personally I love it and its in my top 20 horrors of all time.

Not particularly scary and some of the stop motion animation has aged a bit but its still a super little movie imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

Love the Evil Dead trilogy!!!!!! =D Evil dead 2 is basically a remake of the first one, and is better, but first one is good too! I just love Bruce, he's hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Personally I love it and its in my top 20 horrors of all time.

Not particularly scary and some of the stop motion animation has aged a bit but its still a super little movie imo.

whats your personal best 5 horrors of all time

SheFiend wrote: »
    Love the Evil Dead trilogy!!!!!! =D Evil dead 2 is basically a remake of the first one, and is better, but first one is good too! I just love Bruce, he's hilarious!

No,its not better,ever!
    :P
    whats your personal best 5 horrors of all time

Couldnt possibly pin down just 5 but some of them would include

The Beyond
    Day of the Dead (1985)
    Halloween (1978)
    Last House on the Left (1972)
    August Underground
    Murder Set Pieces
    Re-Animator
    The New York Ripper
    Ringu
    Martyrs
    Cannibal Holocaust
    Zombie Flesh Eaters
    The Fly (1986)
    The Thing (1982)
    City of the Living Dead
    Hellraiser
    Cannibal Ferox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

The Evil Dead is the barometer for how much you are willing to acknowledge a horror based on technique and skill. The story is crap, the acting is, mostly, horrendous, but the camerawork is stunning, the effects are horribly dated but were incredibly well achieved with what the crew had to work with and the circusmtances under which the film was made were unreal, pick up Bruce Campbell's "My Name Is Bruce" book on his career for more info if you enjoy it, which you will!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i much prefer II but the first is excellent as well
    the first is a horror film with a comedic side whereas the second is a comedy with a horror side
    and the third is just out and out comedy :)

All hail to the king baby!

Skerries wrote: »
    i much prefer II but the first is excellent as well
    the first is a horror film with a comedic side whereas the second is a comedy with a horror side
    and the third is just out and out comedy :)

Groovy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

Skerries wrote: »
    Groovy ;)

Duke?? That you? All out of bubble gum again eh... time to kick some @ss

back OT, evil dead is deservedly a classic, yes the stop-motion has not aged at all, the acting is so-so (when does Bruce not ham it up?) but it's a landmark movie with a huge impact

/wonder why Otis lists re-animator as fav, it was mediocre at best... then again I'm a lovecraftian and thought it made a mess of great story :(

Ive never been into Lovecraft anyway so maybe thats part of the reason but its just a brilliant splatter flick from start to finish with lashings of dark humour,funny one liners and some great gore effects.

I got to see it in May on the big screen in the IFI so that was a total kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

big screen would be nice alright...

For those interested, Lovecrafts original short is here and although the writing style shows its age, the story stands alone and has no connection to any of the (regularly confusing/convoluted) Chtulu mythos HP is known for

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

No,its not better,ever!
    :P

Couldnt possibly pin down just 5 but some of them would include

The Beyond
    Day of the Dead (1985)
    Halloween (1978)
    Last House on the Left (1972)
    August Underground
    Murder Set Pieces
    Re-Animator
    The New York Ripper
    Ringu
    Martyrs
    Cannibal Holocaust
    Zombie Flesh Eaters
    The Fly (1986)
    The Thing (1982)
    City of the Living Dead
    Hellraiser
    Cannibal Ferox

I would add switchblade romance to that list

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

why do you have Day of the Dead in your list when Night of the living Dead and Dawn of the Dead are much better films?

Emmm,because I prefer Day and I personally think its the best of the series?

:confused:

Peter Jackson's Brain Dead = Excellent film! Comedic horror, stop motion, and laughs galore! Also held the title, for a while, for the biggest body count in one scene, due to the lawnmower slaughter scene. <may or may not be true :rolleyes: Totally recommend it!

Peter Jackson's Brain Dead = Excellent film! Comedic horror, stop motion, and laughs galore! Also held the title, for a while, for the biggest body count in one scene, due to the lawnmower slaughter scene. <may or may not be true :rolleyes: Totally recommend it!

I think you are right but it was taken over by Olaf Ittenbachs Premutos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well big thumbs up form me.......

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Some more to add..

Ichi the Killer
    The Devils Rejects
    The Thing
    IT - Not for gore but purely for tapping into childhood fear (for me anyway)
    And finally....
    See a movie that cost nothing to make, made 100's of millions of dollars and if watched alone, in the dark and the sound turned up, will be one of the creepiest movies you will ever see... Paranormal Activity!!

Advertisement