Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a travel cot and highchair

Options
  • 19-07-2011 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Will be needing a highchair for my little one very soon so starting the research process. Budget cant stretch to one of those fancy Tripp Trapp ones, am thinking under 100e. And Id like one with a tray.

For a travel cot Im looking to use it to replace moses basket before I put her in the cot so ideally one of those that are not on the floor as she needs her soother put back into her mouth a lot during the night!!!

Any recs please?
    Thanks a mil :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Hi Mrsberries,

I have a highchair very similar to this one except Graco (got as a gift). Sturdy and my daughter seems comfy in it, does the job as far as I'm concerned! There are some other fancier ones on the same website too for well under 100 euro!

With regard to the travel cot for day to day use I don't have much advice I'm afraid. Is there any particular reason for wanting a travel cot? Cots are perfectly safe for babies from birth (we only used our moses basket for daytime naps, cot bed for nights and a travel cot for occasional nights away).

I did come across this one though, it seems to have a higher level for younger babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Thanks for that Lola. Shes 3 months and not ready to go into her own room (or Im not ready!!). Her cot wouldnt fit in our room and I want her beside my bed until shes ready to go. Also, I want a travel cot for when she goes to stay with my sister next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I understand in that case then, our room is fairly tight for space too :p:) Just to bear in mind the travel cot we have is actually wider than our cot bed so maybe take the measurements and make sure before you buy!

Another option maybe would be to buy a 2nd hand crib to use until she's ready to move out of the room? I found this one on adverts.ie for 50 euro, looks in perfect condition (and you could probably get it less realistically!). It would be much neater than a travel cot and save you squeezing in and out of bed every morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

Hi I got my daughter the chicco happy snack highchair and find it great. Am a first time mother and understand the head wrecker that it is trying to find something decent!
    mothercare.ie/chicco-happy-snack-highchair-pink-scribble.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We have the Graco Contour Electra travel cot, love it, still use it

http://www.gracotravelcot.co.uk/contour-electra.html

contour-electra-chocolate-lime.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Hiya,

we were very short on space so we didn't get an actual high chair, from when she was able to sit up we used a Tomy booster seat that converted into a bag and a changing mat...this:

9179.jpg

we found we never need high chairs in restaurants as she was so used to sitting in her booster and since she was almost 2 she was tall enough to stop using it and she is used to sitting at the table now. also the changing mat came in handy when out and about. and it was easy to clean too (in the washing machine)

also as regards using a travel cot, i read somewhere you aren't supposed to use it for every night that they are for occasional use only, when my daughter was staying over at someones house we used this:

http://www.toys.ie/Graco-Contour-Electra-!108187-prd.aspx

be warned though we found it wasn't quick and easy to set up and take down, (or build) but we did get it in the end and it was a great product. (also we never put in the vibration thing in the cot but we still use it to this day for soothing aches and pains :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Das Kitty wrote: »
    We have the Graco Contour Electra travel cot, love it, still use it

http://www.gracotravelcot.co.uk/contour-electra.html

contour-electra-chocolate-lime.png

Looked at this actually. Do you use it for everyday use?

Lola thanks for that link. Would really consider getting it but still have to buy a travel cot then. Will have a little think about it ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I don't use it everyday as he has been in his own room since he was 4 months but it's plenty big and has a raise-able base for the early days. He's a year and a half now and we're heading to Cork next week and bringing it.

Oh and we bought a travel cot mattress to go in it as well, very comfy

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

We have the ikea Antilop high chair which cost all of about €20 and it's grand, vey simple and easy to clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The Graco travel cot has to be the most useful thing we got for our wee man. When he grew out of the moses basket, we used it with the hanging bassinet bit for daytime naps. When he started to move about, it was great for putting him into to play or just to drop him into if you needed to go to the loo! Now, it spends most of its time at his nana's, only getting moved to go to his other nana's down the country! He's still going to use it for a long time yet, so it's definitely value for money (we didn't pay for it, requested it as a gift.)

You do need to buy a mattress for it, as the base is too hard. Once I got the knack of it, putting it up and folding it away were a doddle and there's an outside pocket on the cover that the mattress and a blankie can fit into.

• Advertisement
Advertisement