Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a Clemetis

Options
  • 19-07-2011 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

Well folks

Looking for some advice off the Pro's

Decided to do a VERY small bit of work on my back garden this year. I dug out the hardcore under the one inch of soil and planted two clemetis (excuse the spelling) to trail up and with any luck over my garden shed to take away the bare look.

The image below is of my Nelly Mosler which has shot up from a wee two foot to just over the roof of the shed since mid June !!!!
    I have trailed it to the left of the trealis now however I am looking for advice to encourage and keep it onto the roof of the shed. Should I just put some chicken wire up there for it to trail along or will it naturally creep onto the roof and keep going itself without the wire ?

Also, any advice on how to make them a bit bushier ? I release it is very young but can I do anything to help it fill the trelis next year ? Prune etc and if so, where and when do I cut ?

Cheers folks :)

IMAG0025.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

It will naturally bush out, but try and catch the young shoots early and tie them in. Yes it will need support to scramble over or it just makes one big mess.
    Clematis like their roots are in shade, and brightshine (yeah right !) will fade the flowers. Good choice though, Nelly is a beauty, can flower twice as well.
    Shouldnt need any real pruning the first couple of years
    As it flowers in May/June you should prune it either late winter or the end of Feb/March (BEFORE you see new growth) if you think it needs it. They flower on "last" seasons growth and the second flowering is on the new growth that year.
    These cultivars can be cut back fairly hard - say to between 90cm to 1.2m (3-4ft) high - to just above a bud/pair of buds.
    Start pruning at the top of the plant and work your way down.
    Pruning is carried out at the end of February/early March.
    Clematis 'Nelly Moser'

These cultivars can be cut back fairly hard - say to between 90cm to 1.2m (3-4ft) high - to just above a bud/pair of buds.
    Start pruning at the top of the plant and work your way down.
    Pruning is carried out at the end of February/early March.
    Clematis 'Nelly Moser'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Cheers for that SG 64.

I'm really hoping it flowers before the winter alright !

Thanks for the advice too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gardenman77

To get it to trail over the roof, just run a few lengths of wire/string along the roof. It will work perfectly and at least you won't require an unisghtly trellis there.
    With regard to bushing it up, follow the pruning guidelines above and you'll get what you want.
    Be careful what you wish for however, as Nelly Moser is quite vigorous and if left unpruned any season, you'll soon wonder where your shed went!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Yeah, I popped some wee flexible trellis up the other day. It kinda fades into the roof of the shed so you cant see it much. To be honest, If Nelly goes wild then she is welcome to the shed ! It's a plant I'm very fond of will be keeping a close yet hopeful eye she can take away most of the shed for me. I've got a Dr Rupple coming along nicely on the other side too :)

Thanks for the response :)

Advertisement