Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

80 Euro to change a car bulb!!!

Options
  • 19-07-2011 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,

Car bulb (main driving bulb) 12V 55W H7 no longer working.

Purchased a replacement bulb a few days ago, but having great difficulty gaining access to rear of lighting unit.

To do it properly on an Audi a4, you apparently have to remove the front bumper to gain access to the lighting unit!

Phoned the Audi dealer I bought the car from last year and they quoted 'between 80 and 90' euro for labour, (Approx 30 mins).

80 euro to change a bulb!!!

Anybody have any better and cheaper ideas??

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

haynes manual and do it yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

haynes manual and do it yourself

& mind that you dont set off the airbags ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

See this handy dandy pdf guide:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

This is one of the many reasons I'm sticking with pre' 02 cars. Seeing as I do pretty small mileage I may even go to driving a classic as a daily at some stage in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

OP what year A4?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Cartech

tossy wrote: »
    OP what year A4?

2006 A4 .... Purchased June 2010.

I would refer to the "Owners manual", but over a year since buying the car from a main dealer, I'm still waiting on that....

Excuse after excuse they have, been told that it can take "a long time" to have a new manual printed. (The original owner didn't hand the manual into the dealership when he sold it to them.

15 months and still waiting... must be an antiquated printer...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

How many miles had it on it when you bought it?

Ex uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I thought these cars were the best built cars in the world - jaysus so well built the bulbs are hard to access.

Removing the bumper to replace a bulb - surely that cant be correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

On the A4 you can get access to the light unit if you cut a hole in the bumper big enough to get your hand through. A similar trick use to be done with changing the timing chain in the Renault 4 by cutting a hole in the bulkhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

kippy wrote: »
    I thought these cars were the best built cars in the world - jaysus so well built the bulbs are hard to access.

Removing the bumper to replace a bulb - surely that cant be correct?
    thats the way all car manafacturers operate now, make simple tasks impossible to do yourself so that the main dealer can screw you on bits 'n bobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Jaysus, cutting holes in the car, isnt that for the manufacturers to do?
    This thread has completely put my off an Audi A4!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

If you think thats bad, you should check out youtube and how to change a bulb on a megane II.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

New cars are just primadonnas with bulbous pieces of plastic stuck to them and computer ports in weird places. You have to be a German engineer to change the smallest little thing.

My next car will be a '80s Volvo tank held together with duct tape and willpower.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

To their credit, bulb change could not be easier on an 07 Volvo C30- one simple pin (no tools required) needs to come off, pull out the headlight, detach the connectors and away you go. Volvo still recommends only a main dealer to change Xenons though due to the "high voltage"..

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

delly wrote: »
    If you think thats bad, you should check out youtube and how to change a bulb on a megane II.

f##king hell i came very close to buying one of those,thank god i avoided it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

kippy wrote: »
    Jaysus, cutting holes in the car, isnt that for the manufacturers to do?
    This thread has completely put my off an Audi A4!
    It's ok, you can fill the holes with chicken wire and tuck your tracksuit pants into your socks, instant horsepower* as well as making it easier to access bulbs

*DISCLAIMER - complete fib.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jraftery

those audis are a pain in the ass to change the bulbs in but persevere and save yourself the money;)

C.D. wrote: »
    To their credit, bulb change could not be easier on an 07 Volvo C30- one simple pin (no tools required) needs to come off, pull out the headlight, detach the connectors and away you go. Volvo still recommends only a main dealer to change Xenons though due to the "high voltage"..

I'll be doing more research when it's time to change the Audi..... seems as though other manufacturers don't make it so difficult and expensive to do minor repairs.

Thanks for all your ideas, and suggestions, altho I'll avoid the drillling a hole in the bumper option... :eek:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Not sure if this is the same, they may be skipping some steps!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

I thought you are supposed to be able to change a blown bulb on the side of the road? Is it not the law? Fat chance Joe soap has of changing a bulb if it takes a main dealer 30mins to do it:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXCZ2v-nIF4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jraftery

if ya think thats bad try changing the side light bulbs on the front of a 2007 7 series bumper off whata pain J.(Auto Electrical Concepts):D:D

MarkR wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the same, they may be skipping some steps!

Yes, I had seen that yesterday, they already have the front bumper taken off at this stage which I believe is a big job in itself...

I've decided that if you drive an Audi, be prepared to only drive during daylight hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

OP Audi recommend bumper off for the B7 A4 but i believe you can do it without removing the bumper although it might require a bit of basic knowledge of a socket set :D

For the drivers side you simply remove the airbox - very easy.

For passenger side you need to remove the protective plastic covers then undo the brackets on the PS resivoir and possible coolant one also then you disconnect loom going to both bottles and move slightly,should leave you enough room to remove the bulb - its alot less head wrecking than removing a bumper as that is at the very least a 2 man job.

Cartech wrote: »
    I've decided that if you drive an Audi, be prepared to only drive during daylight hours :)

Well at least that way everyone can see the look of smug satisfaction on your face that can only come from driving a rich mans passat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

And the 02-05 Focus passenger side bulbs can be a tit to get at if you have larger than small womanly hands. Even with taking the battery cover off, it can be so awkward that headlamp out is the only way.

Lucky I have small womanly hands.

But there is a lot to be said for brute force, and pig ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

But there is a lot to be said for brute force, and pig ignorance.

there's a lot to be said for proper useable design too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Worse again a Scenic :P
    Lex Luthor wrote: »

Actually no, the Scenic is just a **** for fitting your hand through to get to the bulb. Never realised the Megane was that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I changed mine on my 02 a4 earlier tonight, found out how to do it the first time one went and glad I did. Took me about 5 mins earlier. Does involve pulling out the whole headlight.

Cannot believe some of you saying it would put you off buying a car, that's just stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Lex Luthor wrote: »

I knew someone was going to bring that myth up, LOL.
    This is how it's really done which happens to be the way it was designed to be done.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68390144&postcount=9

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

This is all just hyped up stuff. Are bulbs a bit more arkward on modern cars then old ones? On some, yes, but you never have to remove bumpers.

As someone said if you move a couple of minor and easily removable items out of the way on the A4 you can access the bulbs easily.

And everyone jumps in with the old megane II youtube video, a megane headlight bulb takes 2 mins to change, turn the wheel, remove the cover in the wheel arch and there is the back of the headlamp.

Of course these jobs are much easier for people who do it everyday but for a dealer to play on peoples misconceptions and charge €80 to change a bulb is laughable.

Advertisement