Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

80 Euro to change a car bulb!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

...for a dealer to play on peoples misconceptions and charge €80 to change a bulb is laughable scandalous.
    FYP

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Esel wrote: »
    but for a dealer to play on peoples misconceptions and charge €80 to change a bulb is scandalous.
    €80 is about right.

The job involves four mechanics, IE one to hold the bulb and the other three to turn the car around. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Oi you! Don't be putting words in my mouth. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

kippy wrote: »
    I thought these cars were the best built cars in the world - jaysus so well built the bulbs are hard to access.

Removing the bumper to replace a bulb - surely that cant be correct?

Many newer cars have this new feature :mad: Renault etc, as already mentioned here have this too.
    BMW have this too on the 7 if I am not mistaken.

Seems to be a new trend to get customers in walking dealerships...

That should be illegal seriously, in many countries you are obliged to carry spare bulbs with you and change them on spot as soon as they go. How on earth you are supposed to change a bulb on the motorway at 3am if you need to strip your car...That is just ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

buy in halfords and pay them the €3 to fit it :d
    I do it everytime for my last car as it was a bitch to do...what took me 20 mins to do that guy did in 2 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    I do it everytime for my last car as it was a bitch to do...what took me 20 mins to do that guy did in 2 :)

It is takes a Halfords guy to do this in 2mn, then I think you guys need to try harder...

Yeah, get Halfords to do it and then you will then need a bucket for all the screws and bits and pieces that they leave behind after doing the job. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I wouldn't let a halfords guy near my car to change a bulb especially if it required removing of the bumper or removing of engine components to gain access.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Don't go to Audi dealer. I get mine done here in Galway for literally a couple of quid. My mechanic drives an A4 as well. So I know mines in safe hands. Plus it takes him about 5-1o minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually no, the Scenic is just a **** for fitting your hand through to get to the bulb.
    Yeah it's very awkward alright, but actually quite quick when you know what way to turn it. Also helps if the engine isn't hot, cos then you can get your head down there and get some kind of look. The first time took me about an hour and I even considered removing the entire light unit, but now I can do it in five minutes.
    My old 206 by comparison was always a minimum of 30 minutes. The bulb was held in by a clip that came off effortlessly but wouldn't clip back in except with perseverance and blind luck. Blind being the operative word, the thing was completely out of sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

I had a double bulb failure on my Golf Mk3 at night. Got home on high beams by taping up the top of the headlights. Found it very fiddly to fit the new ones though. Not something I would want to try on the hard shoulder of a motorway at night in freezing rain.

But I recently failed my NCT for a cracked headlight and and a failed parking light. Replacing the headlight involves removing the bumper which is was no fun at all and took ages. But the real nightmare was trying to fit the new small bulb even with the headlight out of the car. I'm pretty good at stuff like that but I could see someone less handy giving up and getting a dealer to do it. €80 wouldn't surprise me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

This is all just hyped up stuff. Are bulbs a bit more arkward on modern cars then old ones? On some, yes, but you never have to remove bumpers.

As someone said if you move a couple of minor and easily removable items out of the way on the A4 you can access the bulbs easily.

And everyone jumps in with the old megane II youtube video, a megane headlight bulb takes 2 mins to change, turn the wheel, remove the cover in the wheel arch and there is the back of the headlamp.

Of course these jobs are much easier for people who do it everyday but for a dealer to play on peoples misconceptions and charge €80 to change a bulb is laughable.

Yeah right :pac:

polo-headlight-replacement.jpg

Dealer job or a whole load of hassle for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

bmstuff wrote: »
    Many newer cars have this new feature :mad: Renault etc, as already mentioned here have this too.
    BMW have this too on the 7 if I am not mistaken.

Seems to be a new trend to get customers in walking dealerships...

That should be illegal seriously, in many countries you are obliged to carry spare bulbs with you and change them on spot as soon as they go. How on earth you are supposed to change a bulb on the motorway at 3am if you need to strip your car...That is just ridiculous

It's EU & Irish law that bulbs must be replaceable without the use of tools except tools which are supplied with the car. Manufacturers wouldn't get type-approval to put their product on the roads of Europe otherwise so I bet there is a way to do it yourself without pulling the car apart. It doesn't have to be easy or comfortable though!

Discussed previously:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71482241&postcount=34

slimjimmc wrote: »
    It's EU & Irish law that bulbs must be replaceable without the use of tools except tools which are supplied with the car. Manufacturers wouldn't get type-approval to put their product on the roads of Europe otherwise so I bet there is a way to do it yourself without pulling the car apart. It doesn't have to be easy or comfortable though!

Discussed previously:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71482241&postcount=34
    In France its also law to carry a spare set of bulbs. They clamp down very heavy if you attempt to drive with one headlamp. It would be pointless to have this rule if you couldn't fit them yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

polo-headlight-replacement.jpg

Some people are just stupid....You can see the battery behind the removed headlight, How the hell could stripping the car like that be easier then removing the battery!:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

http://doobya.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/polo-headlight-replacement.jpg

It's a 5 minute job on the pre-facelift mk4.

Advertisement