Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade bundle

Options
  • 19-07-2011 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Im buying an OC bundle from scan.co.uk and ive a question, whats the difference between a P67 board and a Z68 chipset?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

P67 does not support integrated graphics. Also, Z68 will allow you to overclock while using integrated graphics, which is not possible on H67. With the proper software (Lucid) you will be able to use Quick Sync on the integrated GPU at the same time as you use a discrete GPU. Aka Hardware acceleration for things like Movie Playback or Flash while using a real GPU as well.

Z68 also has SSD Caching, so if you have an SSD you should get that.

Z68 is also newer and (I think) will support the new Ivy series of CPUs in the future. It also (Again, I think, this is off the top of my head) has 16x/16x if you go for Dual GPus instead of 8x/8x of the P67, though that's negligible compared to the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I will be getting an SSD soon but not for a while, so Z68 is the standout one then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Leman wrote: »
    P67 does not support integrated graphics. Also, Z68 will allow you to overclock while using integrated graphics, which is not possible on H67. With the proper software (Lucid) you will be able to use Quick Sync on the integrated GPU at the same time as you use a discrete GPU. Aka Hardware acceleration for things like Movie Playback or Flash while using a real GPU as well.

Z68 also has SSD Caching, so if you have an SSD you should get that.

Z68 is also newer and (I think) will support the new Ivy series of CPUs in the future. It also (Again, I think, this is off the top of my head) has 16x/16x if you go for Dual GPus instead of 8x/8x of the P67, though that's negligible compared to the rest.

No unfortunately z68 don't support 16x/16x just 8x/8x :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

Fair enough, not important unless you are going for 3 or 4 way GPU's anyway, the performance is less than 3% and that's well within Margin of Error anyway.

So yeah, wait for others to chime in of course, but Z68 is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Which boards are you choosing between?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I actually posted my thoughts on P67 vs Z68 yesterday in another thread, so rather than re-type it I will just link :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73353073#post73353073

I think it really depends on you, what other hardware you are getting and what the main use of the pc will be.

Main use will be gaming.

Bundles are these;

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ShowSystem.asp?SystemID=1202

and

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ShowSystem.asp?SystemID=1264

Both will have 8gb ram installed on it.

Well personally I don't see a point to spend an extra few €'s on a Z68 board when your not going to use any of it's features. If your main use will be gaming then the CPU's integrated Graphics processor will be of no use to you, so the Lucid Virtu features won't benefit you(it might even reduce fps for some games).

If you get a 64GB SSD it's big enough to use as a main boot drive with a bit of care keeping it clean, it would be beneficial though if you would rather not be concerned about space on your main OS drive. So depends on what you want. Using the SRT of the Z68 board means you will never have to worry about running out of space on your SSD but you will suffer reduced performance from your SSD. Using an SSD on P67 as your main boot drive means you will get blinding performance with anything that is on it, but you will have to always be concerned about running out of space.

See this is where im stuck, do I just stick with the P67 as its stable and reliable or go with the Z68 and its flaws.

Was also reading Custom PC mag and they didnt like it at all...

Z68 doesn't have flaws really. It is as good as P67.
    My issue with it is, the extra cost for it, with no benefit(for me personally).

SRT to me has no benefit since I would have no issue keeping a 64GB SSD nice and clean, even with my favourite game and all my favourite apps on it. But if I was to build a pc with an SSD in it for say my mother, I would probably use SRT since she wouldn't be able to keep it clean, so you'd get most of the speed with none of the maintenance.
    You are the only person that can decide which option is best for you.

Lucid Virtu really interests me, but as it stands the software isn't exactly polished just yet. I know they are working on updates to it which should make it much better but at the moment if I was to buy, it just wouldn't be worth the cost(again to me personally). But if you are a gamer and you are going to use your pc for mostly gaming Lucid Virtu won't offer you any benefits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement