Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warranty with seller or manufacturer

Options
  • 19-07-2011 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭

I bought a HDD on Amazon.co.uk at xmas and it has failed, its well within the manufacturer warranty (3 years) and there's no question that it's faulty, it fails the manufacturer diagnostic etc.

I logged on to Amazon to return it but the automated system wouldn't allow it, they just want to refer me to the manufacturer.

I'd prefer to deal with Amazon as postage will be cheaper than sending it insured to bloody Singapore, and turnaround should be quicker.

Am I entitled to deal with the seller under EU law? And if so is there any passage or directive I can quote?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I bought a HDD on Amazon.co.uk at xmas and it has failed, its well within the manufacturer warranty (3 years) and there's no question that it's faulty, it fails the manufacturer diagnostic etc.

I logged on to Amazon to return it but the automated system wouldn't allow it, they just want to refer me to the manufacturer.

I'd prefer to deal with Amazon as postage will be cheaper than sending it insured to bloody Singapore, and turnaround should be quicker.

Am I entitled to deal with the seller under EU law? And if so is there any passage or directive I can quote?

The Amazon issue aside, are you certain that the manufacturer hasn't got a warranty service address closer to home?

Although hard drives are made in various cheap-labour countries, I don't anyone is expected to send them back to the country of manufacture if anything goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The Amazon issue aside, are you certain that the manufacturer hasn't got a warranty service address closer to home?

Although hard drives are made in various cheap-labour countries, I don't anyone is expected to send them back to the country of manufacture if anything goes wrong.

There's other reasons why i'd prefer to deal directly with the seller, but in any case I just want to know what my actual rights are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Your contract of sale is with Amazon. This may be stronger or weaker than the warranty that the manufacturer has offered. In this case, Amazon are bound by the Sale of Goods Act to deal with your problem as six months is very likely to be deemed an unreasonably short amount of time for a HDD to work if it ever went to court. So, you can demand that Amazon deal with you but the only way you can actually "force" them to do so is via the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I decided a couple times to deal with a manufacturer instead of the retailer, purely to speed things up by missing out the middle man. One was to do with a Benq monitor that I bought from Dabs, and the other was a Western Digital hard drive that I bought from Komplett.

Sometimes, some retailers aren't very good at pulling their finger out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Was this bought from Amazon, or a seller on Amazon Marketplace?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Its sorted, Amazon have agreed to a refund because they don't have a replacement in stock.

Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement