Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters and claiming the dole in the summer

Options
  • 19-07-2011 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im just about to start a masters in September, and while the lectures will finish about May time, I have until September to complete the thesis part. Just wondering if it is possible to claim the dole while working on the thesis, or is that still official college time? I am hoping to be working in my old job again, but just in case, just curious if I have that bit of a safety net with the dole.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Have to be three months out of a course before you can claim.

This was asked on the radio a few weeks ago basically you're not going to be able to get dole for the summer even if you have graduated, after you finish your masters you will have to wait three months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

saa wrote: »
    Have to be three months out of a course before you can claim.

This was asked on the radio a few weeks ago basically you're not going to be able to get dole for the summer even if you have graduated, after you finish your masters you will have to wait three months.

disagree i know loads of people getting dole now while doing their thesis. such as my other half

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

You can sign on after completion of a college course with no three month wait - I did it at the end of May.

You do, however, have to a have a letter from the college stating that you have fully finished your course, so I'm not sure how that would work in relation to a masters, seeing as you are still a registered student during the summer. Maybe there's a way around it seeing as T2Dak's OH did it..

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

As soon as you finish your exams, get a letter from the head office saying you are finished college. It won't be the first time they've done it. That's what I did. Worried about getting a job after I finished my thesis. Technically, you're not in college since there is no semester and you've no formal exams to work towards. If you have repeat exams however, you probably won't be able to do it.

You can sign on after completion of a college course with no three month wait - I did it at the end of May.

You do, however, have to a have a letter from the college stating that you have fully finished your course, so I'm not sure how that would work in relation to a masters, seeing as you are still a registered student during the summer. Maybe there's a way around it seeing as T2Dak's OH did it..

You've finished your 'full time' study so you are only doing yout thesis 'part time'. You are actively seeking work while you're doing your thesis, aren't you? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

T2daK wrote: »
    You've finished your 'full time' study so you are only doing yout thesis 'part time'. You are actively seeking work while you're doing your thesis, aren't you? ;)

I hope the social welfare don't read the postgraduate forum... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

Why yes, yes I am...

That's deadly, more social welfare related shennanigans next summer so.

Why yes, yes I am...

That's deadly, more social welfare related shennanigans next summer so.

me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 thesis.direct

Be careful.... you continue to be a FULL TIME REGISTERED STUDENT until your thesis has been submitted rendering you ineligible for unemployment benefits. Whether you are working full time on your thesis is irrelevant - you are assumed to be (a) by your University and (b) by the nice people at social welfare. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No - absolute rubbish. I rang citizens advice about this. Once you are finished formal lectures you can go back on the dole. I finished classes in April - my thesis is not due in til August. I got a letter from the college and i was able to sign on in April. Once you are genuinely seeking work you can go back on dole.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 thesis.direct

I stand corrected. Apologies for the clearly erroneous information.

It all seems strange to me. Final year undergraduates are seeking employment but can't sign on until their studies are completed.

It must be that social welfare don't quiet understand a taught MA degree and that up to 50 percent of the degree is based on a summer-written thesis. The regulations of some Universities specify full time summer research. Clearly in other cases this is not so, or the letter-writer is overlooking this fact.

Next question: If an MA student writing a thesis can claim the dole, what rules apply to a PhD student?

I stand corrected. Apologies for the clearly erroneous information.

It all seems strange to me. Final year undergraduates are seeking employment but can't sign on until their studies are completed.

It must be that social welfare don't quiet understand a taught MA degree and that up to 50 percent of the degree is based on a summer-written thesis. The regulations of some Universities specify full time summer research. Clearly in other cases this is not so, or the letter-writer is overlooking this fact.

Next question: If an MA student writing a thesis can claim the dole, what rules apply to a PhD student?

my friends got the dole as soon as they finished their undergrad too...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

OP, at the end of the day, it all depends on whether or not you are genuinely seeking work. If so, then I guess you may be entitled to jobseekers allowance/benefit. However, if you’re working full-time on your thesis, then you’re not available to work and, as such, should not be claiming any benefits.

As for everyone else, I'm not entirely comfortable with the apparent encouraging of social welfare fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

djpbarry wrote: »
    OP, at the end of the day, it all depends on whether or not you are genuinely seeking work. If so, then I guess you may be entitled to jobseekers allowance/benefit. However, if you’re working full-time on your thesis, then you’re not available to work and, as such, should not be claiming any benefits.

As for everyone else, I'm not entirely comfortable with the apparent encouraging of social welfare fraud.

Im not encouraging social welfare fraud - I rang the citizens advice information line. They told me this is specifically allowed.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

disagree i know loads of people getting dole now while doing their thesis. such as my other half

They're over 23 so

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Im not encouraging social welfare fraud - I rang the citizens advice information line. They told me this is specifically allowed.
    Fair enough, but the comment was directed at any one individual.

saa wrote: »
    They're over 23 so

no 21 actually

djpbarry wrote: »

My gf gets it fair and square and I know many that do. No way encouraging fraud it's legal. I will be doing it come next summer. I will be looking for work to pay my rent while doing my thesis

Advertisement