Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pam... Well considering the silence on here (mod note, post 1 and 36)

Options
  • 19-07-2011 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Lets get started....

What do you think?

Did you see the news / articles / message boards etc ?

www.sligotoday.ie did some relevant stories

'Sligo Asylum Seeker's Flight Thwarted' - Claim
    1311051559.jpg Related Articles:

Pamela Izevbekhai and her daughters deported
    'Sligo Asylum Seeker's Flight Thwarted' - Claim
    Pregnant Sligo woman's hope for deported husband
    Online campaign to stop Izevbekhai deportation
    Sligo-based Izevbekhai Loses Final European Court Battle

An anonymous email has been distributed to all main media organisations, locally and nationally, regarding the alleged actions of the Domestic Violence Advocacy Service (DVAS) in thwarting the state's latest attempt to deport failed Nigerian asylum seekers who were residing in Direct Provision Centres in Ireland, including Sligo's Globe House.

The email claims that last Tuesday,12 July, a repatriation flight was delayed by the actions of the DVAS - see extracts from the email;

'A plane was scheduled for an 8pm departure from Dublin airport bound for Nigeria. However, according to the email, one female passenger conspired with a staff member from the DVAS to hide her five-year-old child. When the child was eventually located, the delaying tactic resulted in three gardaí making an emergency blue-light dash to Dublin airport to catch the already delayed flight.'

'(Garda Car plus 3 Gardai return trip to Dublin - - - Please get Dept of Justice to cost this)'

'While over Algerian Airspace, they were informed by Nigerian Air Traffic Control, that the airspace was too busy over Nigeria and to return back to Dublin. (Please get Dept of Justice to cost this failed repatriation trip).

'These failed asylum seekers are now all back in various centres in Ireland, and mostly by the actions of a member of staff from a HSE funded organisation called DVAS. This organisation are very keen to use the media for there own issues - find it hard to believe that my taxpayers money is being used for this.

'I have now found out that this organisation is virtually 100% funded by HSE.

'I would also call on the HSE to conduct a serious review into DVAS funding and also conduct a major audit into the 100's of thousand that have been given to this organisation over the last 5 years. Public knowledge is that they are paying themselves exorbitant salaries. Look for their accounts and I am sure you will see this.'

SligoToday.ie spoke to the DVAS who denied any involvement in the alleged plot to avoid deportation by the failed asylum seeker.

Whilst agreeing that the Sligo/Leitrim DVAS is involved in an online campaign to halt the pending deportation of high-profile failed Sligo-based asylum seeker, Pamela Izevbekhai and her two daughters - see here - the DVAS said, "In response to an anonymous complaint to the HSE and to a number of media organisations that a staff member of DVAS conspired with a Nigerian woman to hide her child, thus delaying the deportation of this woman and a number of other asylum seekers, DVAS wish to refute this accusation.

"No member of DVAS staff conspired with or facilitated a woman who was being deported to hide her child.

"Whilst DVAS will continue to advocate for women at risk, including women who are seeking asylum in this country, the organisation has never and will never facilitate any person to evade legal detention or deportation."

DVAS denied that they were in receipt of 'exorbitant salaries' or that the organisation was virtually 100% HSE funded.

SligoToday.ie is awaiting a response from the Department of justice and the Health Service Executive (HSE),

Mod Note

Thread reopened due to demand, but less of the personal attacks please.

Attack the post not the poster if you disagree with someones point of view.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Har.....Har.......Har......

Justice was delivered for her. I for one am not sorry she has been deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

I wonder has Veronica Cawley, our local "labour", "Independent Labour", or whatever she is calling herself these days breathed a big sigh of relief now that Pam is gone. Maybe she will host a big party to celebrate this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

What were these people thinking?!

First of all, I can understand people being sucked in by her claims before they had the full facts in hand.

But even after they knew she had lied to them some were prepared to go to such lengths as to delay a plane flight - ultimately causing it to come back all the way from Africa?!!!

Deluded and quite pathetic imo. They just can't accept that this woman hoodwinked them.

What a pitiful episode of events this all has been. Shame on those who conspired with her even after her lies had been exposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭In The Sticks

my understanding is that they were deported back to Nigeria early yeaterday morning, but having read jayjay's post nothing would suprise me. However I do feel sorry for the two kids who had to endure the past five years with a parent who was acting purely for self gain. If she had any respect for her kids she would not have put them through all this. Mrs. Izevbekhai is not exactly returning to a life on the streets in Nigeria, she is actually a very wealthy woman even by our standerds. I think we are well rid even if it cost us hundreds of thousands of euros.

• Advertisement

Are those here who supported her deportation as morally outraged and indignant at all of the Irish who are living and working without permission in the U.S?
    Im assuming those who are glad that Pamela and her kids were deported at 1.30 in the morning, without apparently any notice (sligo champion), would welcome the same treatment for those Irish people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

my understanding is that they were deported back to Nigeria early yeaterday morning, but having read jayjay's post nothing would suprise me. However I do feel sorry for the two kids who had to endure the past five years with a parent who was acting purely for self gain. If she had any respect for her kids she would not have put them through all this. Mrs. Izevbekhai is not exactly returning to a life on the streets in Nigeria, she is actually a very wealthy woman even by our standerds. I think we are well rid even if it cost us hundreds of thousands of euros.

If she was a wealthy woman in Nigeria then why was she so determined to live on 19 euro a week in an Asylum hostel in Sligo for 5 years?

All we know is that a death cert was faked for her daughter Elizabeth.
    Thats all. What is also true is that less than 50 death certs were issued in the district where she died the year she died. Thats a district with a population of Liverpool.

Ireland has payed off Nigerian officials to "protect" Nigerian asylum seekers from Police Brutality on their return from Ireland. Has it worked? We dont know, our Government has never bothered to follow up.

Maybe we should use some clout that this money is supposed to bring to ensure that Pam and her family survive their return to Nigeria.

Country of Origin reports repeatedly state that Nigerian Police "rape and torture with impugnity".

I do believe that if the Irish government dont step up to the plate and insist on her and her families safety in Nigeria then she is, under UN rules, entitled to asylum as she most certainly is not safe in the hands of the gentlemen who will be in charge of her in Lagos.

The sensationalist overpaid public service worker may have wasted our nilions by delaying a plane piece of journalistic brillaince should actually be ridiculed for the pile of hor****e it is.

Are those here who supported her deportation as morally outraged and indignant at all of the Irish who are living and working without permission in the U.S?
    Im assuming those who are glad that Pamela and her kids were deported at 1.30 in the morning, without apparently any notice (sligo champion), would welcome the same treatment for those Irish people?

Of course they wouldnt Garth. You see sometimes some people are more equal than others in this country.

You get people giving out about immigration with an illegal relative in the US.

Giving out about the treatment of children by priests and yet unless they were or knew a victim, this issue was unimportant to them during the last election.

Giving out about accidents at junctions while accelerating through amber and red lights.

Giving out about drink problems in Ireland while going on the piss all weekend.

Its a minority, but a very loud, self righteous and ultimately hypocritical one.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

Those Irish work, they don't bleed the state.

• Advertisement

Razleavy wrote: »

:rolleyes:
    http://www.humanrights.ie/index.php/2011/03/24/deprivation-of-permission-to-work-asylum-seekers-and-article-8-echr/

Asylum seekers not allowed to work (unless this has changed).

But surely the laws of the state must be respected and "justice" must be served and therefore if Irish are there against the laws of the United States then they must be immediately hunted down, rounded up in the dead of night and sent packing back to the old country.

Razleavy wrote: »

Illegal immigrants in the US cost the Fed Billions of dollars in lost tax revenue per annum. So if you insist on using the emotive phrase "bleed the state" they yes they most certainly do.

:rolleyes:
    http://www.humanrights.ie/index.php/2011/03/24/deprivation-of-permission-to-work-asylum-seekers-and-article-8-echr/

Asylum seekers not allowed to work (unless this has changed).

But surely the laws of the state must be respected and "justice" must be served and therefore if Irish are there against the laws of the United States then they must be immediately hunted down, rounded up in the dead of night and sent packing back to the old country.

Maybe, but that's an issue for the authorities in America.

In fairness, her deportation had to be done without notice in order for it to be successful.
    Due to the high profile nature of this case, if notice of deportation was tendered, there would have been either a a protest of the bleeding hearts brigade crying 'won't someone please think of the children' or else she would have done a bunk and gone on the run. both of which are entirely plausable.

Therefore, imo the only way to exact a successful deportation was indeed, to do it without notice.

TRunner, i notice you are back to suggesting that the Nigerian Gestappo is waiting for them at the airport in Lagos, razorblade at the ready:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jajjay

She previously went on the run (without her daughters) who as a result
    had to be but into care...

Maybe, but that's an issue for the authorities in America.

In fairness, her deportation had to be done without notice in order for it to be successful.
    Due to the high profile nature of this case, if notice of deportation was tendered, there would have been either a a protest of the bleeding hearts brigade crying 'won't someone please think of the children' or else she would have done a bunk and gone on the run. both of which are entirely plausable.

Therefore, imo the only way to exact a successful deportation was indeed, to do it without notice.

TRunner, i notice you are back to suggesting that the Nigerian Gestappo is waiting for them at the airport in Lagos, razorblade at the ready:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You are very forthright in supporting the decision to deport Pamela and the upholding of the law and justice. Why cant you be as vocal in calling for the deportation of the "illegal" Irish? Why the "maybe"? Yes its a case for the American authorities, how is that relevant, I am wondering if you would call on them to deport Irish working/living there illegally? Surely that is the kind of justice you support?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

There is a big thread about this here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056303538

You are very forthright in supporting the decision to deport Pamela and the upholding of the law and justice. Why cant you be as vocal in calling for the deportation of the "illegal" Irish? Why the "maybe"? Yes its a case for the American authorities, how is that relevant, I am wondering if you would call on them to deport Irish working/living there illegally? Surely that is the kind of justice you support?

You're confusing illegal immigration with a fraudulent claim for asylum. For 5 years Pamela Izevbekhai not only defrauded the system she took a place that otherwise could have been provided to someone in genuine need of asylum.

If she wanted to live and work in Europe/Ireland she went down the wrong path to achieve that aim. The asylum system is not there to provide a better way of life for anyone who is unhappy with their current standard of living - it is for people who live day to day in genuine fear of their own lives and that of their family.

Pamela Izevbekhai was found by a court of human rights as not fitting that description. And so she now resides in her homeland.

Your confusing illegal immigration with a fraudulent claim for asylum. For 5 years Pamela Izevbekhai not only defrauded the system she took a place that otherwise could have been provided to someone in genuine need of asylum.

If she wanted to live and work in Europe/Ireland she went down the wrong path to achieve that aim. The asylum system is not there to provide a better way of life for anyone who is unhappy with their current standard of living - it is for people who live day to day in genuine fear of their own lives and that of their family.

Pamela Izevbekhai was found by a court of human rights as not fitting that description. And so she now resides in her homeland.

Im well aware that the two issues are different. However the principle of respecting the laws and regulations of individual states is the same. Supporters of Pamelas deportation as far as i can read, and as you said in your post, believe she didnt meet the criteria laid out in the law to be granted asylum, therfore she should be deported. I am just trying to establish if those same people will also support the upholding of the law in America. There are many Irish there living and working ileagally who dont meet legal/immigration requirements to stay.

I think its a very straight forward question and il ask it again
    Do you think all the Irish men and women who are found to be in America ilegally or under false pretenses should be deported?

Do you think all the Irish men and women who are found to be in America ilegally or under false pretenses should be deported?

Speaking only for myself, the answer would be yes. They should be sent back and tough luck for them.

May I ask you should a proven liar and fraudulent asylum seeker not be returned to their homeland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Speaking only for myself, the answer would be yes. They should be sent back and tough luck for them.

and they are.

Same in Australia. No collecting your belongings, no goodbyes. Straight to a holding centre and the next thing you know you are in economy.

I feel sorry for the kids but it had to be done. Hopefully it will send a message to others who try to work our soft soap system.

There is no way these things should drag on so long. 6 months should have the decision made. If they want to appeal it let them do it from elsewhere

• Advertisement

Yes I do actually. I know people who are working there illegally, and that's a matter for them really. They all know that if they do get caught then they will be deported without so much as a bye or leave. Like has already been posted, no back to the flat for your stuff - nothing.

In that case, if someone is caught being an illegal immigrant in whatever country, including the irish in America, then they should be deported yes, and I have no sympathy for them. They knew the risks, they knew what they were doing, so tough titty really.

Harsh it maybe, but just my opinion.

May I ask you should a proven liar and fraudulent asylum seeker not be returned to their homeland?

To be honest I dont believe that Pamela is a proven liar. There are too many variables and circumstances to take into consideration like t-runner states about the lack of death certificates, the well documented corruption in Nigeria, and i genuinely do not believe that someone who is apparently well off/weel heeled in their homeland would go to this much trouble, attract potentially hostile treatment, and appeal their case (as is their legal right whatever you may think) for 5 years living on a pitiful sum of money in Globe House. But been a bleeding heart liberal I would say that.

For the record I wouldnt support either some kind of mass deportation of the Irish who are working in America without permission.

And Ireland is by far one of the hardest countries in which to gain asylum( in particular if you are from Nigeria) so that should discount the idea that we are a "soft touch"etc http://www.tribune.ie/news/article/2008/aug/10/exposed-the-myth-of-irelands-liberal-asylum-policy/

Yes I do actually. I know people who are working there illegally, and that's a matter for them really. They all know that if they do get caught then they will be deported without so much as a bye or leave. Like has already been posted, no back to the flat for your stuff - nothing.

In that case, if someone is caught being an illegal immigrant in whatever country, including the irish in America, then they should be deported yes, and I have no sympathy for them. They knew the risks, they knew what they were doing, so tough titty really.

Harsh it maybe, but just my opinion.

I accept and respect your point of view. What I find difficult about this thread and other thread regarding Pamela before is that some people rather that just accepting the decision of a court and moving on seem to revel in and enjoy the fact and get some kind of personal satisfaction that this woman and her kids are been deported. I just find that more than a little troubling. And refering to those who support her case or those of others as bleedin heart liberals doesnt help the debate. We are entitled to express our view, I havent come on here labelling people as kkk racists etc.

The entire Pamela situation is a tragic one for all involved and it stokes up a lot of passion in people, passion that surely should be aimed at people who are really are to use the awful phrase "bleeding the state", like those in the IMF, the crooked bankers and devlelopers, and the colluding governmnets. That is again what is troubling about this thread. Some of the posters here are non-existent in what I believe are fundamentally important issues in relation to the economy, health service, environment etc but if Pamela is mentioned people crawl out from the woodwork to give their tuppence worth.

Sorry for going off topic. Rant over.

To be honest I dont believe that Pamela is a proven liar.

What about her open admission of knowingly submitting false documentation to the appeals process?
    For the record I wouldnt support either some kind of mass deportation of the Irish who are working in America without permission.

Nither would I, but if you are an illegal immigrant evading the authorities, and you get caught then the law should apply to you.

And Ireland is by far one of the hardest countries in which to gain asylum( in particular if you are from Nigeria) so that should discount the idea that we are a "soft touch"etc http://www.tribune.ie/news/article/2008/aug/10/exposed-the-myth-of-irelands-liberal-asylum-policy/

That may be the case now, but was it when she originally made the asylum claim?

To be honest I dont believe that Pamela is a proven liar.

Yeah, figured as much.

In fairness, credit where it's due with Pamela.

Under different circumstances she'd have made a wonderful TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭MonkeyDoo

I imagine she's already in Nigeria, preparing some media sob story, that she'll sell to the tabloids.

If she fabricated one asylum claim, she can do it again, it wouldn't surprise me if she's punching herself in the face to create evidence for another asylum claim.

Annoying the way people abuse the asylum seeking system blocking genuine refugees.

I wouldn't touch the solicitors she used with a barge pole!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jajjay

The Solicitor's that represented Pam - should be published.

I know one firm was from Ballinamore in Leitrim..... not sure of the name but I will soon find out

The Last Solicitors name is / was Matthew Ezeani

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭MonkeyDoo

Apparently she went thru 5 legal teams over the years.

If citizens are concerned about the nations finances they should vote with their feet and not give custom to legal professionals who directly or indirectly land the tax payer with huge legal bills.

Those millionaire tribunal lawyers should never be given work from the state again and tax payers should avoid using their services....if they gave a damn about the tax payer surely they would have finished their job by now!

They are pricing the Irish people out of justice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

A wise man on a similar themed such thread, advised me not to bother responding to the sadness, the pathetic and deluded babble that often passes for debate on this emotive topic -- at that point I didn't agree. I forged ahead, bizarrely thinking the light will set them free -- but having read the tragic, myopic and asinine attempts to justify what has to be one of the most audacious put-ons in Irish legal history, to see the bleeding-heart 'do-gooders' (a contemptuous and ill-suited term for those who actually to little of any real worth) still prattle on, with virtuous high indignity, you have to wonder has the Neanderthal gene left Ireland?

However, advised me in a present course to desist from elucidating abhorrence at the heinous perpetuated lies of this inveterate and compulsive liar, that I did not take your sage advice, I apologise. You are a wiser man than me. Peace, my good friend, you know who your are in every sense.

Advertisement