Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working for Concern

• 19-07-2011 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I'm thinking about applying for a position working for an Irish charity abroad.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of doing this and if so what did they think of it

What are the conditions like when you are abroad?

Is there much social interaction when your away?

Was the contract length too long?

Any other general info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

What position are you thinking of applying for?

I've been working in the development sector for the past 7 years. I have a masters in development studies and, to be honest, I haven't gotten anywhere.

Unless you have a hard skill, much in demand, to be blunt about it, you wouldn't stand much chance getting such a job without some kind of track record in development work already. The usual way in is to volunteer first, often at home, but you're just not taken seriously if you haven't already spent time overseas.

I spent one and a half years in Africa working at a fairly high level and the sector in Ireland is being very cruel to me. Not only that, but there are very few jobs in Ireland in the first place. Cutbacks means very difficult times for development workers. NGOs are being ruthlessly selective.

Maybe you didn't want to hear this, and maybe what I've written is partly influence by how I'm feeling about my future in the sector, but it's the harsh reality. If I'd accepted this earlier, I'd have volunteered overseas much earlier.

There is, however, always a chance of landing a position depending on your particular expertise, outlook and attitude to the nature of the work. I'd say apply, but keep these caveats in mind.

As for conditions, it varies. You could, for example end up working in a humanitarian emergency environment, which would be basic and challenging. You could be based in an office in a major town or city in a 'nice' country (e.g. Kenya, Ethiopia, Uganda) with a large ex-pat community and open, gregarious local staff. Living conditions can be mixed, but generally for major NGOs conditions are good, but often shared, which is a good thing, depending on the environment.

Working overseas changes your outlook on life and the world.

It's often that private sector people, in times of downturn, look to the charity sectors for meaningful work, particularly if laid off. In the past, this was easier, but now the sector is becoming seriously professionalised and bureaucratised. It's still who you know, but not so much.
    JAY 22 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm thinking about applying for a position working for an Irish charity abroad.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of doing this and if so what did they think of it

What are the conditions like when you are abroad?

Is there much social interaction when your away?

Was the contract length too long?

Any other general info would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JAY 22

Thanks for the detailed response Sarkozy.

I'm going to start sending out applications this week and I'll see how it goes.

Cheers

Advertisement