Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway in one day - tips?

Options
  • 19-07-2011 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

I am going to be there on sunday for one day, any tips? I want to take in the main sights! I have been before but my boyf has not and I would love to show him the lovely city that it is :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

Maybe take one of the open top bus tours.
    Ask for details at the tourist office.
    You would cover a lot more sights with less walking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Sunday will be the closing day of the Arts Festival so there will be a lot going on in town.

Its also the day before Race Week begins.

Its a shame you're not staying the night as there is always a great buzz around town on the eve of the races.

If you only have a few hours the open top bus tour is a good option and with good weather you will see Galway at its best.

Food - McDonagh's fish & chip shop, Quay st. Or book a table in Ard Bia Nimmos down behind the Spanish Arch.

Drinks - O'Connolls pub in the square for an old un-destroyed bar with the best beer garden in town. Or take in a bit of live trad in Tíg Cóilí, Mainguard st, before you hit the road.

Walk - The Prom in Salthill or the banks of the Corrib from the Catherdal to the Claddagh are always enjoyable.

Enjoy your day out !

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

St.Nicolas church then walk up by the canal to the cathedral, into the Quad in NuiG and then back around woodquay. back down to the claddagh to the swans, from there go for munchies in Mcdonaghs and then take a walk around inside the Quays bar (both on quay street), then up the road to Tíg Cóilí or Taffes for a bit of trad, then up to Eyre square before getting the bus out to salthill and walking the prom, into O'Connors bar in salthill before getting the bus back into town to take in the atmosphere in the late evenings ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MessiahMan

Jays steve I'm living in Galway 5 years and I'm very tempted to do that. Sounds like quite the day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sinead81

wow thanks guys! Great tips!! Any recommendations on which bus tour to get or is there plenty of choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

Funny enough I was talking to a mate recently whos mum was appalled at the uselessness of whatever tour bus she took but cant remember which one he said it was.

Jist of the story was, the tour guide missed all the 'big' attractions and focused on some old doll that sat in the foyer of a nursing home on the tour route and that the old bird was 93 and would sit there waving to the bus day in day out

Advertisement