Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Heritage] New 'preserved' railway in Co. Mayo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The Bog Train

In 2008 we added the biggest attraction yet for Heritage Day, an old Bord Na Mona locomotive, fondly known as “the bog train”.

Bord Na Mona was the company that cut and processed turf from the bogs outside Crossmolina which was burnt in the electricity generating plant. The turf cutting has now stopped and the company has left the area. The train was used to pull flat wagons across the bogs with equipment. Our club has restored the engine and laid railway tracks along the edge of the wood from the Enniscoe entrance to the top of the field. We have also built seats on the flat wagons and this year had it running all day, five minutes each way!

We hope to extend the track in the years to come and to be able to do a complete circuit of the estate.

sounds fantastic :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Not far away, adjacent to Ballymote station on the Dublin/Sligo line is this gem: http://www.miniaturerailwayworld.co.uk/Ballymote.html

650754.jpg

Bring on the Railway Heritage Forum. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

If I was suicidal, this thread would push me over the edge. Not because its boring, but because it highlights the overwhelming sadness that is railway preservation in Ireland.

Every last railway enthusiast that promotes or wants preservation, is either a meglomaniac, disgruntled or happy to lash down a bit of track in a field and proclaim it a tourist attraction.

There is no hope and my initial investigations and soundings about something worthwhile have left me pondering about going into a McDonalds and shooting everyone in it just to make a point.:rolleyes:

Seriously though, what is it with rail enthusiasts in Ireland and why are some of them so far up their own holes that it makes it impossible to unite and work towards a common preservation goal? (Serious Question)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

DWCommuter wrote: »

Seriously though, what is it with rail enthusiasts in Ireland and why are some of them so far up their own holes that it makes it impossible to unite and work towards a common preservation goal? (Serious Question)

cos everyone wants slightly different things, or likes / dislikes different things, for example:

I have no interest at all in steam
    love diesel
    think narrow gauge are not real railways
    prefer the Hunslets in intercity blue with yellow panel and not maroon.

try and find someone else on this forum (never mind the real world) with the same views for all and soon you'll run into trouble. (especially for point 4:D)
    Then in the real world add in money, location, free time, skill sets, facilities, CIE's influence and horrific reputation with the general public (trains = slow/bad/expensive/unreliable) and you start to see the problem.

Then again there is very little interest in preserving anything in Ireland apart from Celtic bits and bobs. No interest from the state (or CIE) in preserving it's own transport history and little interest in the general public apart from bringing the kiddies on the odd steam engine ride to Dun Laoghaire and back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

cos everyone wants slightly different things, or likes / dislikes different things, for example:

love steam

love diesel

I like diesel but prefer steam
    so true

maroon isn't bad but I like them in blue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I have nothing to add to this thread. However...
    DWCommuter wrote: »
    • If I was suicidal, this thread would push me over the edge. and
    • There is no hope and my initial investigations and soundings about something worthwhile have left me pondering about going into a McDonalds and shooting everyone in it just to make a point.:rolleyes:

....are two great lines (forgive the pun). I may borrow these for other forums if that's alright! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

There is this mystical place you may have heard of called Donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

love diesel

3 out of 4 ain't bad. Like steam myself. If you get a chance,head to Kilcoole and watch 461 and a rake of cravens charge down the DSER. ****Swoon****

Never had any interest in Narrow Gauge myself,always regarded them as mickey mouse railways.:D

Hunslets in Blue were far more pleasing on the eye than the maroon.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

this is a minature or pleasure railway, not a heritage line, Possibly uses ex BnaM equipment but thats its only saving grace. Its more akin to the fairground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

lord lucan wrote: »
    3 out of 4 ain't bad. Like steam myself. If you get a chance,head to Kilcoole and watch 461 and a rake of cravens charge down the DSER. ****Swoon****

You'll be waiting a long time; she isn't due to return to traffic until December at the earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

You'll be waiting a long time; she isn't due to return to traffic until December at the earliest.

Roll on Sea Breeze 2012.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

corktina wrote: »
    this is a minature or pleasure railway, not a heritage line, Possibly uses ex BnaM equipment but thats its only saving grace. Its more akin to the fairground.

Yeah, I wouldn't really classify either of these as examples of the Irish preservation scene as such. Not that there's anything wrong with them in their own right.

Nothing against narrow gauge either, the likes of WCR, C&L, Fintown, etc, would fall into the "preserved" category in my opinion. Indeed, the first preserved railway in the world, the Welsh Talylln, was narrow gauge. Though I'll admit my main interest is in 5'3'' gauge preservation.

Advertisement