Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gel socks for Running

Options
  • 19-07-2011 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a decent pair of gel socks for running. I suffer badly with blisters on both feet and nothing has worked - I've tried everything from gel pads to anti-blister socks, but nothing has worked. My left foot doesn't get as bad, my main problem is the ball of my right foot - after about 10k I begin to get a burning blister right on the ball of my foot. If I do a half-marathon or a full marathon, my foot gets destroyed and I'm crippled for weeks.
    I figure the only thing that would work is a sock completely encased in a firm layer of gel. But I can't seem to find such a sock anywhere.
    I can find loads of websites selling diabetic socks, but not a specific running gel sock. Can anyone advise/help me here so I can finally say goodbye to blisters so that I can run a whole marathon blister-less or at least somewhat improved than before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Change your runners!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Gel socks wouldn't help I don't think (if they exist). Blisters are friction based, sounds like your shoes may be too big, or not fitting right?

Otherwise, tape up the whole ball of your foot, if you get good tape and do it right it will stay on and you couldn't get get a blister. Or even tape a compeed under the tape? You can get gel padded ball of the foot bandages for injury treatment, but they won't help with blisters imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭HTCJoeSoap

I don't think its my runners, I've a pair of mens Asics Kayano Gel - I was told they were best and I paid top dollar for them over a year ago - around 100 euro in Lifestyle Sports in Blanchardstown.
    I think its a lot to do with my gait and foot strike rather than my runners. I tape up the ball of my right foot everytime I go running, but still, I'm fine for a couple of km's and then as soon I hit about 10k, the burning on my foot starts and I have slow down as its a pain and it messes up my planned run times. I got myself a Silpos gel heel boot-bumper online a couple of months back which completely got rid of the blister problem on my right heel, but still I'm looking for a one-for-all solution that'll fix heels and balls of feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

HTCJoeSoap wrote: »
    I don't think its my runners, I've a pair of mens Asics Kayano Gel - I was told they were best and I paid top dollar for them over a year ago - around 100 euro in Lifestyle Sports in Blanchardstown.
    I think its a lot to do with my gait and foot strike rather than my runners. I tape up the ball of my right foot everytime I go running, but still, I'm fine for a couple of km's and then as soon I hit about 10k, the burning on my foot starts and I have slow down as its a pain and it messes up my planned run times. I got myself a Silpos gel heel boot-bumper online a couple of months back which completely got rid of the blister problem on my right heel, but still I'm looking for a one-for-all solution that'll fix heels and balls of feet.

If you're over a year running in the same shoes then they are probably worn out! The Kayanos might not be the right shoe for you either - it would be worth going to a proper running shop (not Lifestyle/Champion) and getting a gait analysis done. Also, if a gel heel thing sorted the blistering issue, I would also suggest that your runners are half a size too big.

The real main cause of the problem is that my right foot is about half a size smaller than my left foot, (left foot size 13, right foot 12.5), so that half-size is causing constant slight slipping in my right foot and thus causing the friction on the ball of my foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

HTC - I have different sized feet too and it can be a bit awkward but fundamentally the right pair of runners can make all the difference. RK's advice about going to a proper running shop and getting gait analysis done would be echoed by me and lots of others on the board. I live in Bournemouth now but still get my runners from Amphibian King (I have no connection) in Bray which does gait analysis on their own little indoor track whenever I'm back. I believe that there are other shops in Dublin which others could recommend.

P.S. Unless you are a heavy over-pronator Kayano's probably wouldn't be the best choice anyway - they might even exacerbate the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I think its a lot to do with my gait and foot strike rather than my runners
    You're looking at this the wrong way round: you don't change your style to match the runners, you get runners that fit your gait and foot strike. Get someone to check your gait and recommend runners, there's plenty of recommended stores on this forum.

Have you tried the 1000 mile socks btw? I used to get bad blisters too, even after getting a proper pair of runners, but these solved it perfectly. Runways on Parnell St in Dublin stock them, and Elverys online have them (not sure about instore)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I had planned to do the gait analysis, but was hoping to leave it till early next year as I didn't really want to folk out for it and a new pair of runners this side of the marathon. I was really hoping just look for something simple (like a thick soft gel sock) that will get me through the next few months, but it looks like I might have to go with the gait analysis. I know there's a place on the Ballyogan Rd in Carrickmines called the Running Superstore that have a Clinical Gait Analysis lab, I might book an appointment with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Gait analysis is free in most good running shops. I'd second the recommendation above for Amphibian King in Bray and their branch in Base2Race. I know other people recommend Runways on Parnell Street. Even Elverys do gait analysis, though I'm not sure how useful it really is there.

It isn't a long process. You run up a short track or on a treadmill for a short distance, they video your stride and see how your foot lands, and then you try on some different shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

Can anyone recommend a decent pair of gel socks for running. I suffer badly with blisters on both feet and nothing has worked - I've tried everything from gel pads to anti-blister socks, but nothing has worked. My left foot doesn't get as bad, my main problem is the ball of my right foot - after about 10k I begin to get a burning blister right on the ball of my foot. If I do a half-marathon or a full marathon, my foot gets destroyed and I'm crippled for weeks.
    I figure the only thing that would work is a sock completely encased in a firm layer of gel. But I can't seem to find such a sock anywhere.
    I can find loads of websites selling diabetic socks, but not a specific running gel sock. Can anyone advise/help me here so I can finally say goodbye to blisters so that I can run a whole marathon blister-less or at least somewhat improved than before.

I have the same runners as you and don't have problems. Like someone else suggested, check that they're the right size for you. Maybe even go to Elverys or whoever and try on a couple of sizes of that runner to see if another one fits better. I also make a point of tying my laces up really tight so the shoes are pretty much part of my feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Sorry, but you've been had. "They are the best shoes" is total nonsense, it always depends on the runner. I know they would be utterly unsuitable for me and destroy my feet, and the price you pay has nothing to do with suitability whatsoever.

Lifestyle Sports is not the best place to go if you need advice. The spotty teenagers working there don't know anything about running (with apologies to all the non-spotty sales people in LS).

As other have said, the cause for your blisters are almost certainly the shoes, not the socks.

I'll get gait analysis done within the next fortnight and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

Sorry, but you've been had. "They are the best shoes" is total nonsense, it always depends on the runner. I know they would be utterly unsuitable for me and destroy my feet, and the price you pay has nothing to do with suitability whatsoever.

Lifestyle Sports is not the best place to go if you need advice. The spotty teenagers working there don't know anything about running (with apologies to all the non-spotty sales people in LS).

As other have said, the cause for your blisters are almost certainly the shoes, not the socks.

I bought them years after they got a top review in a triathlon magazine I was reading. I'm on about my fourth pair of them now and very happy with them. That said, they're a bit pricey so I buy them online for a saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

spoonface wrote: »
    I bought them years after they got a top review in a triathlon magazine I was reading. I'm on about my fourth pair of them now and very happy with them. That said, they're a bit pricey so I buy them online for a saving.

You obviously missed the "it always depends on the runner" part of my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'll get gait analysis done within the next fortnight and report back.

Don't go to that place on the Ballyogan Rd, they'll charge you for Gait analysis. Everywhere else it's free.
    Try Amphibian King in Bray/Base 2 Race in Ballymount or Runways in Parnell St. They all do Free gait analysis and offer a great service.

Elvery's is another option but not as good as the three mentioned above.

Did the gait analysis on Saturday in Base2Race and got a new pair Saucony runners. Did the DLR 10k yesterday - I'm happy to report that I ran it blister free. New runners solved the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

Happy days! Who served ya?

It could have been Damian, I think. Its hard to tell from the photo, but went for a run yesterday and the inside of the runner on the right foot along the arch was pinching the arch of my foot and when I took the runner off I had a nasty blister. I've never had a blister in that spot before. Don't know what to do now. Might have to bring it back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Bring it straight back to the store and the guys will look at your foot again.

There is a period of getting used to a new shoe and unless you have gone out and done a long run straight off the bat you should not be getting blisters.

We would advise customers to do a 2k easy run in the new shoes to ensure that there is no issue with contact, pressure points or blistering. Once the shoe gets past this initial test, you build your distance back up over a couple of weeks to your current training distances.

HTH

I went and did a 10k run yesterday afternoon and I was fine till I got to about 9th km and then suddenly the inside edge of the shoe kept pinching against my arch everytime I flexed my foot, it became very uncomfortable and began to run a blister. Thank god I wasn't running an offical race. So you advice is to bring it back to Base2Race ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Yes, give Damian or Kevin a call in Amphibian King and explain what has happened.

If necessary they can book you in to recheck the fitting of the shoes.

I went back to Base2Race with them yesterday and spoke with Kevin and he checked my feet again and I changed the runners to Mizuno Wave Alchemy 11, went for a run in them today and disaster!!! It was like running in a pair of Dutch of wooden clogs, my knees are wrecked!! That's tomorrow's run with lads cancelled.

amphkingwest - what my chances of getting a full refund ?

I'm going to stick with my current pair of asics till after the marathon is done!

Advertisement