Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mercury Prize 2011

Options
  • 19-07-2011 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭

Link

Nominees
    Adele – 21
    Anna Calvi – Anna Calvi
    Elbow – Build a Rocket Boys!
    Everything Everything – Man Alive
    Ghostpoet – Peanut Butter Blues & Melancholy Jam
    Gwilym Simcock – Good Days at Schloss Elmau
    James Blake – James Blake
    Katy B – On a Mission
    King Creosote & Jon Hopkins – Diamond Mine
    Metronomy – The English Riviera
    PJ Harvey – Let England Shake
    Tinie Tempah – Disc-Overy

What does everyone think? I've only heard two of the shortlisted albums this year {and one of them's Adele's :pac:) which is quite bad for me. But anyway.

I love Let England Shake, so hopefully it will have a look in. Wouldn't be overly confident of it winning though. I'll have to give the rest of them a listen. Apart from Tinie Tempah maybe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Really surprised that Wild Beasts weren't nominated. Their album is great.
    The only other album I've heard in full is James Blake. His 2 singles were good but the rest of the album was only ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

couple no brainers, but a few did suprise me by making the list

it's obvious that adele gonna win it, she's the bookies fave, PJ Harvey prob fave to come second

i'd like to see anna calvi take it myself, great album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Not a great list this year by the looks of it, there's been a few albums released over the past year that deserve to be on it, Wild Beasts - Smother for example. Out of the albums nominated the only one that really deserves to win is PJ Harvey. Anna Calvi's album is very good but she could have done a bit better in my view. Adele just bores the pants off me and more than likely she probably will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They will give it to the least well known act

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

They will give it to the least well known act

Oh excellent analysis. Who's the least none artist on the list then?

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    Oh excellent analysis. Who's the least none artist on the list then?

Cheers. I havnt heard of many of them so i would imagine the least well known in mainstream hipster circles. Its the way the mercury prize usually rolls.

Cheers. I havnt heard of many of them so i would imagine the least well known in mainstream hipster circles. Its the way the mercury prize usually rolls.

Well what ones have you heard then, may as well rule them out so.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Well what ones have you heard then, may as well rule them out so.

Ive heard of Adele, Elbow, PJ Harvey and Tiny Tempah although i wouldnt be able to name any of their songs. I would imagine the people who pick the winners will try and out-hipster each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

I really doubt Adele will win - she is probably going to sweep the Brits next year, and is far too well known for what is supposed to be a more low key prize. The mercury prize has gone for more commercially successful acts in recent years, but Adele is too big for it.
    I personally think the mercury prize likes to pick acts on the cusp of bigger commercial success, so that they can claim to be important taste makers, and that people should pay attention to them.

If I was a betting man I'd be putting money on PJ Harvey, Elbow, and maybe James Blake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Dr. Bad Touch

James Blake me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

that james blake album is brilliant ,i think he will get it due the hype that surrounded him over the past year.its different in a way that you can say that the mercury havent really had anything like it in a while, post dub, wouldnt have thought about that even coming to the mercurys,

i also liked ghost poets album,i think thats worthy of shot at the title ,i think he's underrated because of the fact he wasnt that well known,bbc radio 1 shun and light on him with the air plays but not as much as other artists ,so i think i think that took away from him

for next year id say the sbtrkt album will be up there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Stevo2007

Think Metronomy with The English Riviera have a good chance, amazing album. They where great at oxegen this year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I love to see P.J win,the album is incredible especially all the lyrical references to things like Gallipoli,truly inspired work!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I reckon Metronomy have a good chance seeing as their latest album is considerably sh*tter than previous output and that's their criteria for winners isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

My choice: PJ

My prediction: Ghostpoet ticks all the boxes. "Urban poet" with a strong accent speak-rapping over moody downtempo electronic music.

smokedeels wrote: »
    My choice: PJ

My prediction: Ghostpoet ticks all the boxes. "Urban poet" with a strong accent speak-rapping over moody downtempo electronic music.

GP's album isn't strong enough to win it. Some good songs but overall it's only a decent album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Wouldn't mind seeing Katy B get it. She makes good pop music that's suitable for her age (as in, she doesn't moan on about love she's never experienced), and doesn't pretend to be anything she isn't. She's just a young girl, making music she really likes herself and doesn't rely on overt sexuality to sell herself. I think she's a great little popstar and her album was very good, it's exciting for British pop music.

I reckon they'll give it to Adele anyway though. It seems like everyone is orgasming over her music, even though it's the blandest music I've ever heard. She's basically just a less offensive, easier to market version of Amy Winehouse.

Elbow is my tip. But I'd prefer to see PJ win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I really can't see Adele winning it. Going by past winners, she just seems a little too well known, if you know what I mean.

I've listened to James Blake's album since i posted the op, and I think he'll be my bet for this year. It just seems like the type of album that will win. It's pretty good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭vrobot

I'd love to see PJ Harvey win.

There's a really good video on The Guardian website with journalists giving their opinion on each nominee.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/video/2011/jul/19/mercury-music-prize

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

PJ Harvey wins Mercury Prize

Yay! A fabulous album :) I'm so happy she won. And by all accounts, she was amazing at EP; sickened I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

been listening to the Metronomy album a lot and it is great, but I can't argue with PJH winning it again - I don't know if I've ever heard a more powerful album than Let England Shake, its both catchy and intelligent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Well done Polly! :) Wasn't too mad about the album myself but I only gave it one or two proper listens. Might grow on me yet. I doubt she'll ever top To Bring You My Love though...

Unfortunately missed her at EP (clashed with Santigold) but hopefully she'll play Ireland again soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rustyregan

I wasn't a big fan of Let England Shake but I think that's just because I don't like the sound of her voice. I find it slightly grating. The tunes seem quite good though. In fairness I don't really like any of her albums so maybe I'm not the best judge of PJ's msuic.

I thought the Metronomy album was very good. Not quite a classic, but a decent listen. I haven't heard any of the others.

Re Wild Beasts - I like Smother, but I wouldn't say it's as good as Two Dancers. It's more one dimensional sound-wise and the lyrics aren't quite as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Only listened to 2 albums on the list, James Blake and PJ Harvey. Happy to see Let England Shake win. Great album. Interesting subject matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Let England Shake was Art. Far superior to any of the others on the list.

And I'm not a big pj harvey fan at all.

Advertisement