Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP HELP POLYBOND!!

• 19-07-2011 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I need serious help....How do i dispose of polybond?

It's called 'POLYBOND UNIVERSAL'...It's in a blue and white tub.

I've been using it at home to seal some walls before i paint.

You mix it with water, and now i'm left with a half a bucket...What do i do with it?
    :confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

keep it for future use or give it to me, I need some

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

rocheypal wrote: »
    I need serious help....
    I've been using it at home to seal some walls before i paint.

Why are you doing that,if you dont mind me asking???

Is it new/fresh plastered internal walls??

Diluted emulsion paint is actually better as a 1st/sealing coat:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rocheypal

I'm doing it cause it means i don't have to apply so much paint...This way i only use an undercoat, and 2 finishing coats of paint....I've been doing it forever, and i haven't had any problems....Makes the job easier, and saves money...but some people say don't use it, and others say use it...different strokes for different folks:)

Also to answer the 2nd question...i'm working on new freshly plastered walls!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You can disspose of it at your local waste recycling centre.

Most of them now accept old oil,paint and paint cans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

if your near me ill take it.pm with your location please:)
    :)

• Advertisement

oi i was in first :) pm me

Merch wrote: »
    oi i was in first :) pm me

Ah yeah,but I asked for contact details first :D,you gave a choice or two options :rolleyes: & I made my intentions clear from the start....:P ;)

littlemis wrote: »
    Ah yeah,but I asked for contact details first :D,you gave a choice or two options :rolleyes: & made my intentions clear from the start....:P ;)

Oh I was clear :)
    Its not worth arguing over though :D, so rocheypal, whats the urgency to get rid of it anyway? and where are you, I'm getting in to my car now :)

Oh I was clear :)
    Its not worth arguing over though :D, so rocheypal, whats the urgency to get rid of it anyway? and where are you, I'm getting in to my car now :)

:p:p:p:p No your not i'm half way there,just awaiting directions by phone...:D I was in the car before you.;)

So where is he outta curiosity ? how far is that from the arse end of nowhere? I just wanted some to seal a concrete floor before pouring a screed, what you need it for, any left over, send it my way unless I get there first of course then its all on the floor :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Deregos

I'm doing it cause it means i don't have to apply so much paint...This way i only use an undercoat, and 2 finishing coats of paint....I've been doing it forever, and i haven't had any problems....Makes the job easier, and saves money...but some people say don't use it, and others say use it...different strokes for different folks:)

Also to answer the 2nd question...i'm working on new freshly plastered walls!
    Why don't you simply store it somewhere in a sealed container for use on your next project?
    Or give it to me . .I'm just pulling up outside your gaff now.

its too late all, i already got it, just thought id say, may as well just forget this thread

So where is he outta curiosity ? how far is that from the arse end of nowhere? I just wanted some to seal a concrete floor before pouring a screed, what you need it for, any left over, send it my way unless I get there first of course then its all on the floor :)

Well if it's any help I am a bit north of the arse end.:D Seen as how you need it for a floor, I will bow out gracefully,fair is fair you were in before me,but hey,thanks for the laugh...:)

ah its not urgent, its not like its running out!
    I can pick some up somewhere, somehow, I dont know how, but I will manage, just :D
    Still think the OP should just store it, unless they have no room, just dont throw it out!

I dont actually have it, just warding off my opponents lol :D
    what were you looking for it for littlemis? I might be able to spare you a few teaspoons of it, lol

ah its not urgent, its not like its running out!
    I can pick some up somewhere, somehow, I dont know how, but I will manage, just :D
    Still think the OP should just store it, unless they have no room, just dont throw it out!

I dont actually have it, just warding off my opponents lol :D
    what were you looking for it for littlemis? I might be able to spare you a few teaspoons of it, lol

Same as op,got serious damp,tried everything even the sealant down through the years.but may have the problem sorted as i got a potbelly installed in may,serious heat out of it and so far so good...by now I would have it bleached at least 6 times...have a fire on every couple of days and it seems to be my miracale cure ..when the winter finally arrives full blown I will know if its just wishful thinking on my part,but at least we wont be in an icebox...:)

Same as op,got serious damp,tried everything even the sealant down through the years.but may have the problem sorted as i got a potbelly installed in may,serious heat out of it and so far so good...by now I would have it bleached at least 6 times...have a fire on every couple of days and it seems to be my miracale cure ..when the winter finally arrives full blown I will know if its just wishful thinking on my part,but at least we wont be in an icebox...:)

The Op didnt have damp problems though???
    I'm open to correction but damp is caused by inadequate ventilation (maybe common to older houses) , some excess moisture emanating from inside the house or moisture not eliminated by allowing ventilation or adequate heating.

Maybe there is a leak somewhere from outside to in?? and the excess moisture cant be removed by ventilation alone?

Heating may solve your problem to an extent, or at least the symptoms of it as warm air can contain more moisture than cold air.
    and
    I actually genuinely believe using polybond wont help, unless the source of the damp is located. Not that Im trying to bilk you out of it.

edit: it might be worth posting that as a thread in diy maybe? to try get some potential solutions

No your grand,,and yes after all these years we have located the prob..council house built in 70's,finally got them to admit onis for problem was theirs,gutter down pipe and sink one not going into drain properly and seeping back under...just waiting on plumbers now....hoping to get them to install vent in kitchen too.No fun cooking in all weather with a window open,wont mind so much now i have the stove...they installed cooker in awkward place,can't afford to pay to have it moved as I would have to move the whole kitchen lay out...they have it just inside the door going into the back kitchen..and no op didn't mention damp...:)

Im not an expert but can see that a build up/not draining away of water will/could cause water to try escape, possibly into the house by leaching up the walls and into inside (need expert opinion to confirm that) but it seems you know this is your problem.
    As for cooker extractor, if I was getting one again, I'd go for a non vented one that has filters to absorb cooking smells (charcoal) and filters to catch grease (which if changed regularily, I think could absorb some moisture), vented ones are a huge waste of heat
    Gas or elec cooker? Im assuming elec as no vent in the room, I'd say the room could do with a vent. I'm assumign you dont have a gas boiler in that room (ie no vent)
    You will get water vapour from using the gas cooker anyway, thats just from burning the gas, I always try boil stuff at a lower heat and put the lids on.

Op what u doing with the polybond

Yup you've got it all correct,electric cooker but rings burnt out as oven is perfect refuse to get rid,use one of the 2 ring gas rings,like for camping ones,cook slow and lids on pots.we seem to be on the same wavelegnth.:D Pity you weren't head of maintanence with the council I'm with,you'd have my house sorted for me by close of business tomorrow..lol.:)sadly we have a by the way bankrupted landlord.

If you're using one of those gas ring yokes, you will get water vapour from burning the gas, its released when the gas is burnt, not so much that you'd notice over the steam from boiling water in pots. I still think Microwave is more efficient/cheaper/less hassle for doing veg anyway.
    Id be a bit more concerned about using it without a vent in the room (nothing too much to worry about so long as it burns clean/efficiently otherwise no ventilation and CO carbon monoxide gas is pretty serious)
    Look up calorgas or bord gais about CO, the rings on that elec cooker (the coiled heating elements) can be replaced pretty easily for a competent DIY'er or electrician, not sure about the plate ones though, they can probably be gotten.

Its one thing diagnosing a problem, can be a bigger problem fixing it properly, I can imagine the council have a long que of people wanting to get things sorted (not that Im defending them)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 rocheypal

Hi...thanks everyone for the help...I've decided to sell it on Ebay...considering some posters are bickering over it...i'll make a fortune...Or i'll just start the bidding here,,,Do i hear 1,000 :P

LMAO....no...seriously i'm gonna put it in a bottle and keep it for a future job...Thanks everyone :)

No your grand,We had an electrician tell us more expense and hassle as in replacing rings,and where we have the damp is nowhere near the cooker,hence the reason why were looking for vent..they were installed in 3 bedrooms & sitting room,due to carbon reading a few years back,but you'd think they would have put one in kitchen,but didn't even test there.asked them to do it this time when they were retesting but they said no only in one bedroom & sitting room..still will keep after them for kitchen vent as I reckon you should have some sort of one in every kitchen, but hey they did give me a fire blanket so I might get lucky.I also have condensation in between the double glaze back kitchen window,Any cure? for a while there till I cleaned it I thought my window was very dirty,&gave myself a right talking to...:) I'm in the house 14yrs now I reckon within the next 14 they might have it sorted...:)

Hi...thanks everyone for the help...I've decided to sell it on Ebay...considering some posters are bickering over it...i'll make a fortune...Or i'll just start the bidding here,,,Do i hear 1,000 :P

LMAO....no...seriously i'm gonna put it in a bottle and keep it for a future job...Thanks everyone :)

Make sure you label that bottle now and keep well out of sight & reach from any little people you may have around....:)I guess I'd better drive home again so...& here I am waiting on those directions half way between here and there.:p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

It makes a perfectly good interior wood glue too ;)

Keep it alright, but keep it in its original container, labelled or not thats a recipe for ending up throwing it out, you wont know what it is or it wont keep, I've had PVA in original tubs after opening initially, resealed and then kept for years. In a bottle or some other container it might not be sealed as well. Also there is the danger someone that might not be aware (children) get their hands on it and associate the lucodade bottle or whatever it is with a nice drink :(
    No your grand,We had an electrician tell us more expense and hassle as in replacing rings,and where we have the damp is nowhere near the cooker,hence the reason why were looking for vent..they were installed in 3 bedrooms & sitting room,due to carbon reading a few years back,but you'd think they would have put one in kitchen,but didn't even test there.asked them to do it this time when they were retesting but they said no only in one bedroom & sitting room..still will keep after them for kitchen vent as I reckon you should have some sort of one in every kitchen, but hey they did give me a fire blanket so I might get lucky.I also have condensation in between the double glaze back kitchen window,Any cure? for a while there till I cleaned it I thought my window was very dirty,&gave myself a right talking to...:) I'm in the house 14yrs now I reckon within the next 14 they might have it sorted...:)

Dunno about that, prob not worth his while maybe? not a difficult job to do, is the cooker in bad shape otherwise, then maybe Id agree with him

The only cure Im aware is for the pane to be replaced for moisture in between panes.

Advertisement