Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alarm System

Options
  • 20-07-2011 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm new to this particular section of the site so excuse me for having no knowledge on alarm systems.

I have built a new house and have been living in it for a while now. It is detached with the nearest neighbours approx 300m away. Recently there has been a spate of robberies in the locatility so it is time to consider my security.

When I built the house I put in the wiring for motion sensors/sensors for all doors and wiring for control panels.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for an appropriate system also associated costs and user experiences would be fantastic.

All replies would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

HKC Securewave & Signet are all good panels.
    Some info on SigNET here
    http://www.europlex-signet.com/controllers.php
    Securewave Here:
    http://www.hkc.ie/hkc/Main/Products_Wireless.htm
    Both are hybrid systems which means you have the benefits of wireless also if required in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

As you didn't mention wiring any windows I guessing that you are only using pirs and contacts on the doors.
    The galaxy is a good panel and would probably be my panel of choice for a job like this

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭niall_walsh

Complete novice could you explain PIRS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Here you go :D
    Click

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭niall_walsh

Thanks Lads for the advice.

Would you recommend purchasing these items (control panels, PIR sensors,Contacts etc) and then get local spark to fit them or would you recommend purchasing a complete kit and installation from a security company?

Would anyone have a rough idea of price. Approx items required (Have to get home just to check exact locations

2 control panels
    6-8 infared sensors
    Alarm box
    3 door contacts

Maybe i am going the wrong way about it as well.....should i maybe consider window devices as well and can these be wireless as i have no wiring included and i'm not going to rip up new walls.

What about monitoring as well or I have heard of devices that can send you a text?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Would you recommend purchasing these items (control panels, PIR sensors,Contacts etc) and then get local spark to fit them or would you recommend purchasing a complete kit and installation from a security company?
    Unless your local sparks is PSA licenced its illegal for you to employ him for this & its illegal for him to carry out this work.Please see this thread for more info.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056242435
    No installation compay is going to guarantee equipment they did not supply ,so I would recommend getting a company in to price for everything. As always shop around , get a few quotes , get everything in writing, ensure you are quoting like with like.
    If you are looking into service contacts & monitoring ensure you get in writing whats covered. So companies will only allow one or 2 calls a year.

Would anyone have a rough idea of price. Approx items required (Have to get home just to check exact locations
    2 control panels
    6-8 infared sensors
    Alarm box
    3 door contacts
    Roughly €800 - €1000
    Maybe i am going the wrong way about it as well.....should i maybe consider window devices as well and can these be wireless as i have no wiring included and i'm not going to rip up new walls.
    I would recommend window & door devices over PiRs alone. For a PiR to activate an intruder has to be in your house. In that case the damage is already done.
    What about monitoring as well or I have heard of devices that can send you a text?
    If using a land line digi you can set the systems up to send texts over Vodafone or Eircom lines.
    Otherwise you can use a GSM dialler. They come with some risks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

2 control panels
    6-8 infared sensors
    Alarm box
    3 door contacts

I would also recommend the HKC Securewave, very easy system to self install if you decided too. Paying anyone not registered is breaking the law but nothing stopping you :D

I would rather cover the windows and add in a couple of wired PIRs.

I would say about 800 Euro for it installed professionally going by your list. Having a phone line in the premises to connect a text card will also keep down the cost. A HKC GSM will give you remote access as well as the self monitoring of the system, cost of this is 320 Euro alone.

Advertisement