Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford T.D.`s claim €54000 in expenses in 3 months!

• 20-07-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Came accross a similar thread on another website so decided to check our honourable T.D.`s figures:

Conway Vouched €4951.84 x 3 months (March/April/May)
    Coffey Unvouched €4060.17 x 3 months
    Deasy Unvouched €4060.17 x 3 months
    Halligan Vouched €4920.84 x 3 months

Total: €17,993.02 per month x 3 months= €53,979.06
    This is on top of a salary of €92,000 per year.

Halligan also gets leaders allowance of €41,000 plus they all get an allowance of €26,000 a year to run constituency offices and they also all get a p.a. at a cost of at least €30,000 a year plus he or she gets expenses!

When you add it all up they are costing us over €1,000,000 each over the five year Dáil term. Are they worth it?

Austerity, Water charges (despite Conways pre election promises) property tax etc etc etc........

Of course we will have people on here claiming that this system was already in place before they were elected and they didn`t create it but did we not vote for change??

Inspiring leadership by our local deputies:( I said it before and i`ll sy it again.......GRAVYTRAIN:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

They also get computers installed in constituency office , complete with broadband , linked to Dail Eireann paid by us tax payers .

What else is there ...................................anyone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

They get free sweet and sour sauces when they go to mcdonalds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

There worth every penny

John Halligan is anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Been three months and the only one I've seen do anything is John Halligan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

je désespère :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Been three months and the only one I've seen do anything is John Halligan.
    A link or examples please.

A link or examples please.
    As recent as a week ago, was there meself. He's the only one getting up to do something about it.

http://www.waterford-today.ie/waterford-today-news/13396-special-needs-children-must-not-pay-for-states-mistakes-halligan-13396.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

What exactly has John Halligan done?

They are a good example of what is wrong with Ireland...Overpaid Politician's and Public Servants...all benchmarked UP in the good times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

decies wrote: »
    There worth every penny

your talking their your dinner-dumper ,
    no wonder the country is on its knee's
    not one politican in this country is worth the money they get and waste ,
    we cannot afford this waste ........................debts of €85bn

• Advertisement

rabblerabble*insert generic whinge against TD's expenses again*rabblerabble

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MoodRacer

As recent as a week ago, was there meself. He's the only one getting up to do something about it.

http://www.waterford-today.ie/waterford-today-news/13396-special-needs-children-must-not-pay-for-states-mistakes-halligan-13396.html

In fairness Mitch, Halligan is only stating the obvious. Those meetings were held countrywide by the independent deputies who are members of the technical group in the Dáil.

It was more of a PR exercise and photo op. What exactly is he doing about it??

Jesus you'd swear Eddie Murphy was in the room. - What have ya don for me lately?!!

A lot of the work that John Halligan does is often very sensitive and not the type of thing you'll read in the papers. Helping people out with issues that they don't want the world to know about etc.

So whenever a TD makes somewhere aware of a problem, they're just stating the obvious.

He was the only one to get out and organise the meeting and actually meet with people, where were the other 3?

He was the one who made me aware of the meeting via Facebook. That's not a photo op or PR exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

Jesus you'd swear Eddie Murphy was in the room. - What have ya don for me lately?!!

A lot of the work that John Halligan does is often very sensitive and not the type of thing you'll read in the papers. Helping people out with issues that they don't want the world to know about etc.
    Like what?
    Rezoning, plan in permission,pub licences....?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sounds like what a councillors job is, but he is there to represent the country not just his voters. Still, not his problem, he has to do it.

However, your point applies to the other TDs aswel. Party TDs here are backbenchers, so don't get speaking rights much. Just the way our system works. I'm sure there all on committees, doing written questions and addressing queries from constituents.

Regardless, their expenses are outrageous especially Halligan being given a leaders allowance. I assume the expenses will cover the loss for him donating his wage to charity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Sully wrote: »
    Sounds like what a councillors job is, but he is there to represent the country not just his voters. Still, not his problem, he has to do it.

However, your point applies to the other TDs aswel. Party TDs here are backbenchers, so don't get speaking rights much. Just the way our system works. I'm sure there all on committees, doing written questions and addressing queries from constituents.

Regardless, their expenses are outrageous especially Halligan being given a leaders allowance. I assume the expenses will cover the loss for him donating his wage to charity?

Is it his wage or expenses his donating ?
    Either way , a nice % of this donation is going to a charity group run by his brother (yes a very good charity group ) but it's this looking after one's own that has got the country into the mess we are in ....

At this time we need politicians who are willing to put the country first ..IMHO..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Is it his wage or expenses his donating ?
    Either way , a nice % of this donation is going to a charity group run by his brother (yes a very good charity group ) but it's this looking after one's own that has got the country into the mess we are in ....

At this time we need politicians who are willing to put the country first ..IMHO..

Think it was his wage at the time. Doubt it was his brothers charity, would be funny if it was though. Whats the name?

Something I saw posted earlier by Paudie Coffey, TD. I have no idea what Deasy is doing, if anything, as he isn't online. I assume Conway is busy but I haven't looked at her twitter/facebook
    Attending Oireachtas Health Comm - Minister & HSE CEO in attendance - raised cancer services at WRH; 50 Bed Unit for elderly at St Patricks

Not all over the news, but this is generally the type of thing TDs that are not ministers are at. Probably something that we should see and hear more though.

Think the charity is Children's Grouplink up by the Supervalu. Well deserving charity imo, went then for a summer when I was younger.

Seems that whenever any of the TD's do something right or beneficial, it's rarely reported on unless they put it out themselves.

Think the charity is Children's Grouplink up by the Supervalu. Well deserving charity imo, went then for a summer when I was younger.

Seems that whenever any of the TD's do something right or beneficial, it's rarely reported on unless they put it out themselves.

It was front page of the Waterford Today....

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    It was front page of the Waterford Today....
    That explains it, thats used for house training a dog in my house :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

MoodRacer wrote: »
    Came accross a similar thread on another website so decided to check our honourable T.D.`s figures:

Conway Vouched €4951.84 x 3 months (March/April/May)
    Coffey Unvouched €4060.17 x 3 months
    Deasy Unvouched €4060.17 x 3 months
    Halligan Vouched €4920.84 x 3 months

Total: €17,993.02 per month x 3 months= €53,979.06
    This is on top of a salary of €92,000 per year.

Halligan also gets leaders allowance of €41,000 plus they all get an allowance of €26,000 a year to run constituency offices and they also all get a p.a. at a cost of at least €30,000 a year plus he or she gets expenses!

When you add it all up they are costing us over €1,000,000 each over the five year Dáil term. Are they worth it?

Austerity, Water charges (despite Conways pre election promises) property tax etc etc etc........

Of course we will have people on here claiming that this system was already in place before they were elected and they didn`t create it but did we not vote for change??

Inspiring leadership by our local deputies:( I said it before and i`ll sy it again.......GRAVYTRAIN:mad:

Where did the figures come from and how reliable are they. Is there an official link anyplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

A bit off topic, but I thought this was a good photo from the Irish Times.

1224301127227_1.jpg?ts=1311324855

So that's where all our money is going...

Umbrellas and Secret Service black vans....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Umbrellas and Secret Service black vans....

Yeah, who does he think he is using an umbrella. Think of all those schools that could be built if he just let himself get wet instead of using an umbrella.

dayshah wrote: »
    Yeah, who does he think he is using an umbrella. Think of all those schools that could be built if he just let himself get wet instead of using an umbrella.

Think its time we called on him to donate it to a charity, and we can give him front page coverage of all the local papers for the occasion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Gardner

Totally agree that John is doing a very good job! I’m very impressed with the technical group in the Dail been honest. Halligan and Boyd Barrett there 2 weeks ago had a right go at FG/LAB over the SNA’s and Paudie Coffey said in responding to Halligan’s comments saying “ is that a threat?” Boyd Barrett shouted across at him “you have seen nothing yet”. This is the type of opposition we need!
    You got to love Paudie Coffey twitter quotes “off having tea with Enda” and “off to the big smoke” what’s next Paudie?? “ jockeying Ciara Conway at the donkey derby in Tramore heeeehaaawww”

People must go back to the pre election manifestos of the 3 TD’s in government. They promised Waterford the sun moon and stars where Halligan’s response was I won’t promise you anything but I will do my best for the people of Waterford. That’s what he is certainly living up to.
    I must say I meet John Halligan for a cup of coffee in the city about 8 weeks ago. Without naming names or personal details to me he told me some of the stories and cases he is coming across are actually unbelievable. He is inundated with people looking for help and he admitted that he simply cannot get to these people as there isn’t enough time in the day. He expressed 2 very horrible stories to me.....

1. Where a man at the end of the week after collecting his wages, pays all the bills and puts food in the fridge and is down to 10 quid a week in his back pocket with a wife and 2 kids to look after. He had to withdraw his kids 6 weeks before the end of the school term because he could not afford to pay for their lunches as the insurance on the car needed to be paid because he needed his car to commute to work. The man himself has contemplated suicide. Through the generosity of local charity and individuals this person is now getting help mentally and getting a small bit extra subsidiary financial help
    2. A businessman who every year gave a sizable donation to a local charity turned up at the charity office recently looking for someone to help pay his electricity and gas bill as his business has collapsed and he had black sacks over the windows so nobody could see the candles lighting in the house!

I will say to each and every one of ye. You have seen nothing yet of what lies ahead.
    The time has come for not just the people of Waterford but for the people of Ireland to be stand up and be counted! We are been ruled by an un-elected government which is the IMF and it will continue for a very long time unless we default. In my opinion the time is now to default before the budget!

To name a few things that lie ahead, I’d like for all of ye to take a moment and think and say to yourslef can I support and afford this 3 or 4 years down the line

By 2014 household tax will be at 450 euro
    Water rates will be introduced costing an average household over 1500 euro per year
    At the moment a 22% increase in electricity and gas with further increases expect over a 2-3 year period
    Cuts to social welfare, pensions and disability
    Lowering of tax credits to the average worker which will mean more tax less take home pay
    2.1 billion of further cuts to government departments such as education and health
    Decrease in public services pensions
    Decrease in workers in the public service
    An increase in capital gains tax

I can go on but I’m fear of throwing my laptop out the window!
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Mod Note

Since the OP never supplied a link to his source when I requested it, and people here who also requested it, I am going to close this thread as the figures cant be backed up/confirmed.

Topic Closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement