Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick Question about Jiu Jitsu gi's

• 20-07-2011 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭

I'm going to order my first gi but I'm a bit confused about what size to go for. I'm 6'2" and about 75kg so I'm thinking A3 but really not sure. When I look at the standard size charts I'm guessing the gi's that are made for my height probably weren't intended for lanky people like me.

Which is better if you can't get your perfect fit, to go for a gi that fits you in height or weight?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Definitely height. If you go for weight, the cuffs will be too short and you may not be able to compete in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Definitely height. If you go for weight, the cuffs will be too short and you may not be able to compete in them.

+1

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

A3 might be a bit big, I'm 6"1, 70kg and I've only ever bought A2. What brand is it? A lot of them vary, you can also shrink it if it's not pre-shrunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

A3 might be a bit big, I'm 6"1, 70kg and I've only ever bought A2. What brand is it? A lot of them vary, you can also shrink it if it's not pre-shrunk.

Very true. I'm 5'9 and I wear an A2 Tatami.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

It's a matsuru gi.

I think I know what size I should go for now after reviewing the size charts. Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Madman08

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYMFgSMTzOmMsXyZIljp-jrYLVRHynH4OrzJ0FDFtnpv8wwnQ0

Just to jump in here with a wee question. I'll be asking my coach tonight anyways but it'd be nice to have the forums opinion too....

I intend to start training Gi however most if not all the guys are doing NoGi in the classes. Is it any harm for me to hold off on getting a Gi for a bit and learning the NoGi grips or just get a Gi asap and allow my rolling partners to use the grips so I'll be better defensively ??

Just to clarify it would be my preference to learn with the Gi but as my wife will tell you. I'm easy. Especially on my back. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Wearing a gi when your opponent isn't can be an interesting challenge, but if you're doing that all the time generally what happens is that you just end up doing sub wrestling with a gi on.

There is the argument that it makes you sharper defensively, but if you're training largely with nogi people, they won't take advantage of the opportunities presented as a gi player would. It just becomes a bit more friction and people frustratingly grabbing you.

Could you get a couple of people to commit to wearing the gi on X night, so at least you can roll with each other? Eventually you might reach critical mass and spin off into a gi only class.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Madman08

Clive wrote: »
    Wearing a gi when your opponent isn't can be an interesting challenge, but if you're doing that all the time generally what happens is that you just end up doing sub wrestling with a gi on.

There is the argument that it makes you sharper defensively, but if you're training largely with nogi people, they won't take advantage of the opportunities presented as a gi player would. It just becomes a bit more friction and people frustratingly grabbing you.

Could you get a couple of people to commit to wearing the gi on X night, so at least you can roll with each other? Eventually you might reach critical mass and spin off into a gi only class.

Cheers man. Great points.

I can't afford a Gi right now anyway but I reckon I'll get one and start wearing it to class. I'll run it by my coach too to make sure he's cool with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Op you're an A2. A3 would be like a circus tent on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

I'm the same size. I have an A2 and an A2R which is an A2 but for the lanky individual. The A2 is a little on the small size after a few sizes but the A2R is perfect. Not all manufacturers do the in-between size but I got mine from Black-Eagle, really good Gi's and good value too. Go for that one. I've tried on A3's too, they fit perfectly length-wise but as Barry said, can be a bit tent-like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement