Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia router speed limited?

Options
  • 20-07-2011 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey guys, I recently upgraded to the 8MB NGB package from Eircom but I'm only getting a maximum speed of ~4MB, not much faster than the 3MB I had before.

After snooping around a bit, I noticed my router only shows the download speed as 4096. Might this be the problem? Is my router limiting my maximum speed somehow?
    ?i=27689681.jpg27689681.jpg
    27689681.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I have a similar issue. I've got the newer Zylex box though. I'm on 24MB broadband, but my router generally says something between 7 and 12. Never higher.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/1723/eircom.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

Due to the perfect numbers I think eircom have you on a 4MB package, you should call support and check
    JMcG92 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I recently upgraded to the 8MB NGB package from Eircom but I'm only getting a maximum speed of ~4MB, not much faster than the 3MB I had before.

After snooping around a bit, I noticed my router only shows the download speed as 4096. Might this be the problem? Is my router limiting my maximum speed somehow?
    27689681.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

This one looks more like a line noise issue. Are all the other phones in the house filtered and are the cables relatively clean installs. When you get variable connection speeds its normally a cabling issue. You should try connect only the router at the incoming point, with all other connections removed and see what speeds you get. If its still variable and far from 24MB you may have a problem at the pole, which eircom will have to check
    DjFlin wrote: »
    I have a similar issue. I've got the newer Zylex box though. I'm on 24MB broadband, but my router generally says something between 7 and 12. Never higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

JMcG92 wrote: »

27689681.jpg

Hi JMcG92
    If you PM me your tel no can run some tests on your connection and should be able to help or advise here.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

DjFlin wrote: »

Hi DjFlin
    this may be to do with distance from exchange or line speed capacity, if you PM me your tel number can check this out for you.
    Tony

• Advertisement
Advertisement