Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buyign an iphone is OZ

Options
  • 20-07-2011 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi there,

Myself and my girlfriend are planning on gettign iphones soon and just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what kind of contract I should get. As with most people here I'm pretty uncertain to how long I will be staying in OZ so wondering would buying one out right be an option.

Perhaps the best way is getting a 24 month contact and buying out the contract if I leave within this 25 months? Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Quick question. Whats your visa situation? WHV, sponsor etc? I ask as
    I tried getting one on a whv and they wouldnt sell me one. Im sure they were burned in the past by people jumping ship with the phone.
    Buying outright will set you back about 800 dollars (ebay prices) but then the phone is yours to use anywhere! Then just get a sim card and pick your prepay plan.
    If you go into the phone shops, they have all the info and the total cost of the contract, ie 55 a month for this plan over 24 months. Minimum spend 1320. So if you leave after a year you will be responsible for 660.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spanish_sahara

Thanks for your help.

I'm on a 457 visa but it is up July 2012 but hopefully i'll be able to extend it. My girlfriend is waiting for her de facto visa to be processed.

Didn't even take that into consideration.. maybe buying it out right will be our only option then.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jack in the box

This is what they said to me when i tried to purchase a iphone on a plan over the internet

Hi,

Thanks so much for your order.

Your application includes a credit check, and the Credit Bureau has asked that we confirm your details by sending us copies of your ID according to the ‘100 points’ system.

Please also include:

Recent bank statement or payslip
    Valid landline contact number

You can scan & email the documents back to us, or fax them to us on 02 8986 1829. Please make sure the documents are clear enough to read.

After receiving your documents we’ll be in touch as soon as possible.

Any questions? Call us on 1300 555 100 any day 7am-11pm EST, or simply reply to this email.

Regards,

Virgin Mobile Team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spanish_sahara

Found this website that seems much cheaper buyng outright compared to apple stores. Bit sceptical.. Anyone buy using this site:

http://www.thinkofus.com.au/Apple-iPhone-4-32GB-Black-White-p/2517.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

You can't get a contract phone on a visa. I had to get a second contract in my name for my missus as she was on visa and I'm a citizen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You can't get a contract phone on a visa. I had to get a second contract in my name for my missus as she was on visa and I'm a citizen.
    That's not true.
    I know plenty of people with iPhones on contract, none are citizens, Most are on a 457 but some are on WHVs. Just because one person, in one shop says you can't doesn't mean you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Xavi6 wrote: »

Mellor is right, you can - well 457 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mellor wrote: »
    That's not true.
    I know plenty of people with iPhones on contract, none are citizens, Most are on a 457 but some are on WHVs. Just because one person, in one shop says you can't doesn't mean you can't.

My bad, I should've said WHV. It's the 12 month ones they don't give contracts on as most contracts are 24 months and there's no guarantee you'll still be in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

i was looking at a 12 month contract recently, the payback on the phone is pretty steep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

would you consider an android phone ??

i recently got one and i love it , the android market has thousands of apps similar to what apple have available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padrepio

get the htc wildfire or one of the htc ones, techies in place rave about it being better than the iPhone.

awful company that they are but telstra are the only network to go with in Oz.

Getting the iPhone contracts when on a WHV seems to be based on who you speak to, same goes for any of the mobile broadband dongles. good few i know had done runners with their iPhones too....

Advertisement