Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC grades: why no percentages?

• 20-07-2011 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Seriously, I can't understand why you aren't just given an overall percentage mark. 69.75 ain't very far away from 70, yet you could stand to lose a college place. Still, that is how the CAO works I guess.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

i was told by a couple of teachers that correct the exams that anyone that gets a grade like that they will try and bring you up anyway:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

Naikon wrote: »
    Seriously, I can't understand why you aren't just given an overall percentage mark. 69.75 ain't very far away from 70, yet you could stand to lose a college place. Still, that is how the CAO works I guess.

The CAO don't have anything to do with correcting exams. The SEC corrects them based on the marks for a paper. For your example, for say English, you need 70% of 400 marks to get 70% ~ 280 marks, 279 marks is not 70%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Are you suggesting that you should get 69.75 points instead? ie. A system where you just add up your percentages?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

I could be wrong, but can't you view your marked scripts in the Leaving Cert before you request an appeal? Wouldn't you at least be able to tot up the marks and figure out the exact percentage even if they don't write it on the paper? (This is just what I've heard).

MegGustaa wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but can't you view your marked scripts in the Leaving Cert before you request an appeal? Wouldn't you at least be able to tot up the marks and figure out the exact percentage even if they don't write it on the paper? (This is just what I've heard).
    Yes, you can. Except for languages with oral exams, where the results aren't shown. For those you can just estimate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Sunny!! wrote: »
    i was told by a couple of teachers that correct the exams that anyone that gets a grade like that they will try and bring you up anyway:)

Not in my case. Fair enough, rules are rules, but I was pissed off at the time. Was told not to even bother trying to appeal.

Are you suggesting that you should get 69.75 points instead? ie. A system where you just add up your percentages?

GPA system.

279 marks is not 70%.

Fair enough. It's hard to say 69.75 is measurably worse than 70% though. The CAO system is too granular I think. If you meet a specific band, you should get a place. But then again, we live in the real world.

GPA system.

Don't they give grades in that too? ie. 4 for an A, 3 for a B etc?

Don't they give grades in that too? ie. 4 for an A, 3 for a B etc?

They do. But your overall average is all they care about. Even then, you could be pushed up a degree class if you are within 3% of the next grade. I have seen it happen. The CAO offers no such discretion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

What advantages would a GPA system have over the normal points system though really, except it'd only simplify the addition a bit?

jumpguy wrote: »
    What advantages would a GPA system have over the normal points system though really, except it'd only simplify the addition a bit?
    I think he's saying that they take their overall percentage average across all subjects before giving a grade, ie. it's your true average percentage score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'm am only certain about English, but I think it goes for other subjects too - examiners do not calculate percentages. Everything, including your final mark, is just marks out of 20, 50, 400 or whatever.

deemark wrote: »
    I'm am only certain about English, but I think it goes for other subjects too - examiners do not calculate percentages. Everything, including your final mark, is just marks out of 20, 50, 400 or whatever.

That's essentially academic, though. It only takes milliseconds to do, that they don't do it doesn't really matter once they have the marks scored and what they are out of available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

jumpguy wrote: »

You're a mod?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

It isn't the best system in fairness :/
    Whatever about 1% bringing you up/down a grade but what about the unfortunate ones who get say 74% in the 6 subjects, they have 4 out of the 5 marks towards a higher grade, multiply that by 6 it's a lot of marks

stacexD wrote: »
    It isn't the best system in fairness :/
    Whatever about 1% bringing you up/down a grade but what about the unfortunate ones who get say 74% in the 6 subjects, they have 4 out of the 5 marks towards a higher grade, multiply that by 6 it's a lot of marks

It's unfortunate but at the end of the day they didn't get 75%. 74% is a big difference to 75%, especially where the exams have 400marks etc.

74.9% not getting a B2 is a little harsh though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Fair enough. It's hard to say 69.75 is measurably worse than 70% though. The CAO system is too granular I think. If you meet a specific band, you should get a place. But then again, we live in the real world.
    yeah, but where does one band finish and another one start?
    if you get 69.75%, you get 70 points, if you get 70%, you get 75 points

It's unfortunate but at the end of the day they didn't get 75%. 74% is a big difference to 75%, especially where the exams have 400marks etc.

74.9% not getting a B2 is a little harsh though.
    I know what you mean but what I'm saying is its unfair that someone who gets 74% in 6 subjects and someone who gets 70% in 6 subjects should get the same points. For one or 2 exams it's fair to say sh!t happens but added up it's a bit annoying.
    Of course the people affected by it will never know though so :rolleyes:

I know what you mean but what I'm saying is its unfair that someone who gets 74% in 6 subjects and someone who gets 70% in 6 subjects should get the same points. For one or 2 exams it's fair to say sh!t happens but added up it's a bit annoying.

No it's not! On that basis then it's unfair that someone who gets 74% in 6 subjects will get the same points as someone who gets 73% in 6. There has to be a line drawn somewhere, and with the SEC it's done in 5% blocks (bar the A1) which is, in my opinion, very fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

They do. But your overall average is all they care about. Even then, you could be pushed up a degree class if you are within 3% of the next grade. I have seen it happen. The CAO offers no such discretion.

The discretion is given at the examining level by the human beings. The CAO is a computerised system, even where discretion could be used, there is random selection.
    That's essentially academic, though. It only takes milliseconds to do, that they don't do it doesn't really matter once they have the marks scored and what they are out of available.

That examiners don't work on percentages does matter in this discussion, as it's not the examiner deliberately leaving an aggrieved student within .75 of a grade or leaving them short of points on the CAO.
    yeah, but where does one band finish and another one start? If you get 69.75%, you get 70 points, if you get 70%, you get 75 points

Again, examiners work on marks, not percentages, so the answer to your question is easy - in English from 320-339 (inclusive) is a B1, 319 is a B2 and 340 is an A2 because it's marked out of 400. Don't confuse the marks given in the exam with CAO points.

No it's not! On that basis then it's unfair that someone who gets 74% in 6 subjects will get the same points as someone who gets 73% in 6. There has to be a line drawn somewhere, and with the SEC it's done in 5% blocks (bar the A1) which is, in my opinion, very fair.
    I think it would be a lot fairer if the line was drawn once your total was added up.
    So:
    6x74 = 444, they fall into the 440 points block
    6x71 = 426, they fall into 425
    Considering how strict they are with points when it comes to college places they should be more accurate in giving out points

I think it would be a lot fairer if the line was drawn once your total was added up.
    So:
    Considering how strict they are with points when it comes to college places they should be more accurate in giving out points

Then currently someone who gets 6 B3s would then get anywhere between 425 and 440 points. That's a massive difference when it comes to the CAO and also the amount of people getting rechecks would increase because essentially every percent counts. Your way is pretty flawed.

Then currently someone who gets 6 B3s would then get anywhere between 425 and 440 points. That's a massive difference when it comes to the CAO and also the amount of people getting rechecks would increase because essentially every percent counts. Your way is pretty flawed.
    As flawed as someone getting 15 marks less/more than they should.
    They should do some sort of work to make the system better anyways, whatever it may be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

But if students who were on 74.5 or on the edge of whatever band were always bumped up to the next percentage and therefore got 5 extra points, then that's not fair on the people who genuinely got 75 in the exam.

If a person was worth 75 then they should be able to get 75 on their own merit and not have to rely on an examiner bumping them up a few marks. If that was to happen to everyone then there would be no one on 89, 84, 79..... etc etc as they would all be bumped up. Hardly fair on the ones who get 73, why shouldn't they get a higher grade too?

So:

Then everyone would be appealing grades, if you got 6 74s you can guarantee a student would appeal all of them to see if they could get 6 75s

deemark wrote: »
    That examiners don't work on percentages does matter in this discussion, as it's not the examiner deliberately leaving an aggrieved student within .75 of a grade or leaving them short of points on the CAO.

Again, no it doesn't. The examiner knows what the grade boundaries are (in marks), and if they are leaving someone 1 mark short, they know that. There is absolutely no difference between this and leaving someone 0.25% off.

Example: An examiner gives someone 359 marks out of 400. They know, in this situation, that 360 is an A1. This is exactly the same as giving them 89.75%, knowing 90% is an A1. The two situations are identical, and so whether you look at the percentages is immaterial.

Again, no it doesn't. The examiner knows what the grade boundaries are (in marks), and if they are leaving someone 1 mark short, they know that. There is absolutely no difference between this and leaving someone 0.25% off.

Example: An examiner gives someone 359 marks out of 400. They know, in this situation, that 360 is an A1. This is exactly the same as giving them 89.75%, knowing 90% is an A1. The two situations are identical, and so whether you look at the percentages is immaterial.

It makes no difference. They are not leaving them one mark short. They are giving them the mark they merited in the exam. Students should not expect marks for free.

It makes no difference. They are not leaving them one mark short. They are giving them the mark they merited in the exam. Students should not expect marks for free.
    English and Irish exams are quite subjective. In other instances examiners have to make a call when the marking scheme is ambiguous. Regardless, that wasn't my point at all. My point was that whether they merited 359/400 or 89.75% is academic, and doesn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

According to my maths teacher, if you're within something like 1/7th of a percent, you're rounded up. Now I could be wrong, it could be within 1/6th or 1/8th aswell.

And this fella's mad for all these particulars, so doubt him at your peril :pac:

Advertisement