Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Clearblue pregnancy Tests Be Wrong?

Options
  • 20-07-2011 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey. i am a member here but dont want to post under my username.
    Can clear blue pregnancy tests be wrong?
    Ive done 2 and both are negative. But im 2 weeks late and havent been feeling great and for the last few weeks ive been feeling very tired yet im doing very little! And might be stupid but i find i am peeing alot more than normal! maybe im just looking into things too much? i am going to the doctor next week but i want to see do people think im being paronoid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

Hi Confused, I did 2 boots own brands - which were not conclusive, the Boots pharmacist suggested a clearblue which came back with a positive result, this was done just before my period was due.
    You mentioned you're 2 weeks late, by now I would have thought the Hcg hormone would have kicked in to give a positive result. Are you usually regular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

Lots of things can make a period late, stress, strenuous exercise, poor nutrition etc. This happened to me a few months ago, my period was almost three weeks late, but it showed up. Clear blue is pretty accurate and would generally test positive a day or two before a missed period. Might be worth getting some bloodwork done at your GP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I got two false negative tests (first response brand I think) at week 5 and 5 1/2 when I was pregnant with my daughter. I got a positive at week 7 using a clearblue digital that tells you how far gone you are. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I got a negative result on the week I was late but a positive result a few days later. Best to go to your doctor either way though. Good luck! -whatever result you're looking for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

If it's only early days for you, it's possible for any pregnancy test to be wrong, you may not have built up enough of the pregnancy hormone for the test to detect yet. If you try again (if you're up to it) use your first wee of the morning, see if you get a different result then.

I always found first response the best, if you get one with the double test kits in it, just in case the first one doesn't work for some reason.

I hope you get the result you're looking for ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I went from the end of last Nov to the begining of Feb without a period. I went to the doctor and she drew blood and had tests run on it. Everything came back normal and sure enough a week later my period arrived. My doctor said this happens from time to time with women for no apparent reason.
    I would definately recommend seeing your doctor, if for nothing else than to put your mind at rest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭deeduck48

hi, i got a negative result 2 different weeks (4wks and 5 wks gone)with Clearblue, and it was 3 wks later with "first response" before it was positive.:D
    the doctors is probably the best bet.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I had a scare last july i was 9 days late.. i'm never late.. so i was panicking (had a 6 month old at the time) and then finally my friend gave me a pregnancy test and sent me upstairs to do it.. it was negative and 2 days later my period arrived.. sometimes when you stress about being late it can delay your period.
    2 weeks does seem a long time not to be picked up on the clearblue as they're better than the GP's ones..
    I'd try another and if still negative i'd get to the doc. . just to get checked over
    Keep us posted though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 catz852002

Hey. i am a member here but dont want to post under my username.
    Can clear blue pregnancy tests be wrong?
    Ive done 2 and both are negative. But im 2 weeks late and havent been feeling great and for the last few weeks ive been feeling very tired yet im doing very little! And might be stupid but i find i am peeing alot more than normal! maybe im just looking into things too much? i am going to the doctor next week but i want to see do people think im being paronoid

When I first took a home test, it was positive, I took another - it was positive. I went straight to the Doc and his test was negative!! It knocked me for 6! He said to come back in a week to do another one with him! I couldnt wait (who could???) so bought a cl34r blu3 digital and it said I was 2-3 weeks gone. Iv since been told by a professional a positive test cant be a wrong diagnosis as it responds to the existence of pregnancy hormones in your system. A negative result on the other hand can be wrong as it can simply be too early to detect the trace of pregnancy hormones in your system. Your first wee in d mornin is the best time to do a home test!!
    Best of luck with everything!
    P.s. Im due in 10 weeks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey guys thanks for the reply! Still no sign of my period but ive done another test also negative! My Gp is away at the moment and the cover doctor is my uncle so i dont want to go until shes back!

Tbh me and my boyfriend are seriously hoping i am pregnant

• Advertisement

catz852002 wrote: »
    When I first took a home test, it was positive, I took another - it was positive. I went straight to the Doc and his test was negative!! It knocked me for 6! He said to come back in a week to do another one with him! I couldnt wait (who could???) so bought a cl34r blu3 digital and it said I was 2-3 weeks gone. Iv since been told by a professional a positive test cant be a wrong diagnosis as it responds to the existence of pregnancy hormones in your system. A negative result on the other hand can be wrong as it can simply be too early to detect the trace of pregnancy hormones in your system. Your first wee in d mornin is the best time to do a home test!!
    Best of luck with everything!
    P.s. Im due in 10 weeks :-)

Also as well you do have a non-neglible level of false positives and false negatives (I remember reading about it in the Clear blue literature) so it possible to get wrong results.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hi,a make sure you use your first morning urine, it has the highest levels of the pregnancy hormone that the tests detect so you should get a more accurate result. Maybe you should try a different brad test to put your mind at ease. First response is one of the better ones along with clearblue so why not try it...its an early pregnancy test too... My doctor told me there is no such thing as a false positive test result, but there can be false negative results so in other words, if a test says you are pregnant, you definatley are but in some cases when the test shows up not pregnant, it can be wrong due to the hgc pregnancy hormone levels in your urine not being strong enough for the test to detect yet. That why you should use first morning urine, its also why sometimes people get bloods done to check if there pregnant as the pregnancy hormone level in blood is stronger than urine so if you do another test and still are not happy the Result is correct, go to your gp for bloods. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Baby74

Hi Girls
    glad i found this thread.... i am 5 days late today (36 days) boobs were sore all week, twinges on left side since ovulation!! so was hoping ddt did the trick this month and the only discharge I;ve had in past week is a little white cm.

Only thing today... is i seem to be cramping a little. Did pregnancy test yesterday about 9o'clock and it was negative. I couldnt believe it. Could it be wrong. not sure whether to go to doc after work or just wait a little longer

any advice girls would be great. Thanks x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Baby74, cramping is a common symptom around the time you are due your period, even if you are pregnant, so I wouldn't worry about that.

What pregnancy test did you use? I'd advise going back into your chemist and comparing tests to see their sensitivity to picking up HCG in your urine. HCG levels can very wildly from person to person in the fourth week, so it may be that your HCG levels are on the lower side and the test couldn't pick them up. I'd recommend the clearblue digital test.

Wait another couple of days. You could have ovulated late, and also HCG levels double every day. If it's still negative at seven days late, I'd get a blood test done by the doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Baby74 wrote: »
    Hi Girls
    glad i found this thread.... i am 5 days late today (36 days) boobs were sore all week, twinges on left side since ovulation!! so was hoping ddt did the trick this month and the only discharge I;ve had in past week is a little white cm.

Only thing today... is i seem to be cramping a little. Did pregnancy test yesterday about 9o'clock and it was negative. I couldnt believe it. Could it be wrong. not sure whether to go to doc after work or just wait a little longer

any advice girls would be great. Thanks x

Hi Baby 74, was going to reply to your post on the TTC thread. Wait a few days and test again with your first urine of the morning. Its common enough to get a false negative early in a pregnancy for various reasons. I tested negative at week 5 and 5 and a half before getting a positive at week 7. I now have a healthy 9 month old girl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Baby74

No such luck girls... af arrived yesterday.... so upset about it. Anyway what can you do but keep trying.

thanks again xxx

Hello I was wondering if anybody could help, I'm 2.5 weeks late on my period, me and my partner are currently trying for a baby, I've taken tests and all showing negative, can somebody advise ?? X

Hey i took a clear blue Test after being 4weeks late i was just thinking to my self that i cant be pregnant and i fort if i took a Test i would Start the next day But the Test come back positive so i did aother One and it was the Same so i went to the doctors and he just said phone the middwife iv Made an appointment But iv got to wait 3weeks so no One has told me that i am pregnant i just keep taking more Tests because i dont feel any different and im scared if the middwife Says im Not pregnant it is normal to feel like this ???

I took 2 clear blue test 3 weeks ago when i had a incline, and both were negative, , today I took another test positive by 3+, already mum of 4,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Emmal14

Took a clearblue test this morning and got a negative result. Think i am 2 days late as i came off the pill in October so I have only 1 cycle to base my current cycle on. However I have been nauseous, cramping, dizzy, lack of appetite, having cravings and peeing more frequently in the last 10-12.days. I was convinced I was prenant til the negative came up. And it was my first urine of the day. Am I being naive in hopinng it was the test that was wrong? I have 1 very disappointed hubby here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Emmal14 wrote: »
    Took a clearblue test this morning and got a negative result. Think i am 2 days late as i came off the pill in October so I have only 1 cycle to base my current cycle on. However I have been nauseous, cramping, dizzy, lack of appetite, having cravings and peeing more frequently in the last 10-12.days. I was convinced I was prenant til the negative came up. And it was my first urine of the day. Am I being naive in hopinng it was the test that was wrong? I have 1 very disappointed hubby here.

A false negative is possible if there's not enough hormone present yet. Try a First Response or test again in a few days.

Dolbert wrote: »
    A false negative is possible if there's not enough hormone present yet. Try a First Response or test again in a few days.
    I haven't seen first response anywhere! I am going to call the doc tomorrow to see should I come in or wait a few days. Cos If I am not pregnant I most definitely have something else going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

The fact you've of had one cycle could mean you ovulated later than you think and you don't have enough hcg to detect yet. I got pregnant one cycle after a miscarriage. Like you I had tender boobs and was a few days late. I did a test it was negative. Didn't get a positive until nearly a week late. When I went for dating scan I was a week behind as I'd had a longer cycle after the miscarriage. Your cycle is trying to reset after coming off the pill so could be longer than you think. Wait a few days and test again.

The fact you've of had one cycle could mean you ovulated later than you think and you don't have enough hcg to detect yet. I got pregnant one cycle after a miscarriage. Like you I had tender boobs and was a few days late. I did a test it was negative. Didn't get a positive until nearly a week late. When I went for dating scan I was a week behind as I'd had a longer cycle after the miscarriage. Your cycle is trying to reset after coming off the pill so could be longer than you think. Wait a few days and test again.

Thanks I am going to wait before I test again. It's just so confusing and frustrating. It I wasn't suffering with the symptoms I really wouldn't be this ott! I had expected 6 months to get the pill out of my system then seriously start trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

I had a negative in hospital just a day or 2 before period due. Something made me buy Tesco tests the next day+ both were positive but line was so barely visible so got first response+ was very strong. At gps 2 days later+ test was barely positive. She told me the home tests are often more sensitive. I'm a firm fan of Tesco ones :-)

Leogirl wrote: »
    I had a negative in hospital just a day or 2 before period due. Something made me buy Tesco tests the next day+ both were positive but line was so barely visible so got first response+ was very strong. At gps 2 days later+ test was barely positive. She told me the home tests are often more sensitive. I'm a firm fan of Tesco ones :-)

Oh really?? Tesco own brand ones?
    Where did you get first response I haven't seen it anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Emmal14 wrote: »
    Oh really?? Tesco own brand ones?
    Where did you get first response I haven't seen it anywhere

Some Boots have them

Dolbert wrote: »
    Some Boots have them

Also literally just had blood this evening when I wiped that I am assuming is my period however there is not a huge flow yet which is unusual! And brownish discharge (sorry if tmi). Hadn't really anticipated anything this quickly but really disappointed now all the same! All the different information is so confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

Tesco own brand- think €5 for 2 tests. I was sure they were so cheap they were faulty. The line was so so faint. Turns out they were better than the hospital+ I'm now lying beside my almost 12 week old daughter :-)

The first response ones he picked up in boots. I've seen them in my local pharmacy. I had no doubt then- line was going pink before I stopped peeing! I was only due, I wasn't even late.

Also I had sore boobs+ was peeing a lot but it was the metallic taste in mouth that made me take the tests so early on.

• Advertisement

Leogirl wrote: »
    Tesco own brand- think €5 for 2 tests. I was sure they were so cheap they were faulty. The line was so so faint. Turns out they were better than the hospital+ I'm now lying beside my almost 12 week old daughter :-)

The first response ones he picked up in boots. I've seen them in my local pharmacy. I had no doubt then- line was going pink before I stopped peeing! I was only due, I wasn't even late.

Also I had sore boobs+ was peeing a lot but it was the metallic taste in mouth that made me take the tests so early on.

Yep peeing like a racehorse so I get that! It's the nausea/ dizziness/ decreased appetite combo that made me suspicious as its going on over 12 days now. I have never had those as period symptoms. Tho I am not sure if I am having implantation bleeding/ spotting or a period right now.

Advertisement