Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows mobile to Android, thoughts?

Options
  • 20-07-2011 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Been using a HTC Touch HD for years and have had windows mobile 6.1 and 6.5 on it. I used to program stuff for it via the compact framework and loved the fact that I could get applications free from other users and forums. here's a prime example (GPS Cycle Computer).

Now I am thinking of a new(ish) phone. I realise HTC still do a Windows 7 phone but I'm starting to wonder if I might give Android a try on a phone like the Desire S or something. Would the change to Android be a big shock? Will I loose the total freedom I had with Winmo? Is Android tethered to Google and some goddam app store?

Just wondering what you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

dnme wrote: »
    Been using a HTC Touch HD for years and have had windows mobile 6.1 and 6.5 on it. I used to program stuff for it via the compact framework and loved the fact that I could get applications free from other users and forums. here's a prime example (GPS Cycle Computer).

Now I am thinking of a new(ish) phone. I realise HTC still do a Windows 7 phone but I'm starting to wonder if I might give Android a try on a phone like the Desire S or something. Would the change to Android be a big shock? Will I loose the total freedom I had with Winmo? Is Android tethered to Google and some goddam app store?

Just wondering what you think?

Android does give you freedom to compile and install your own or others apps outside the market system (known as side-loading) without any developer licenses our digital signatures.

You will need a google (gmail) account though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

hardCopy wrote: »
    Android does give you freedom to compile and install your own or others apps outside the market system (known as side-loading) without any developer licenses our digital signatures.

You will need a google (gmail) account though

Why do I need a gmail account?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

^ Google own Android.

^ Google own Android.

Microsoft own Windows mobile but I don't need a live / hotmail email account. Also, lets sat an author creates a program for Android and makes it available on a forum etc. Could I not just download and install it ??? Why do I need a gmail account?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

You'd only need the gmail account if you're writing your own apps. You can install anything from anywhere (a mixed blessing, but if you keep your wits about you and only use reputable sources, you're not that likely to be stung)

Android isn't as openly tied to Google as say, iPhone is to Apple, but it does suck you into Google's services (GMail, Calendar, location, Maps). If you're already using these, it does make Android a natural choice. To get the "Google" branding, and access to Android Marketplace, phonemakers can't replace any of the Google services with those of other providers, so there is still a lock-in, even if it's a softer one.

Programming for Android is in Java, or you can do simpler "web-pagey" stuff with javascript/HTML. You may also use C/C++, but it's not the preferred runtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

If my memory serves me correctly you can root the Htc Touch HD and put a duel boot with an android rom on as well as windows, why don't you look into that and take it for a test spin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I used to develop for the old windows mobile too. Wasn't happy that Microsoft just abandoned the whole lot. Go for android it's so much better... Those old winmo pdas were pretty terrible, but there was no alternative back then.

And yes you do need a gmail account. First thing phone will do is ask you to sign into google account. Not doing this means most things won't work, like market etc. Note: this is with a stock rom. Sure you can install a custom rom and not use any of googles stuff (including manually downloading apps yourself without market).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

srsly78 wrote: »
    I used to develop for the old windows mobile too. Wasn't happy that Microsoft just abandoned the whole lot. Go for android it's so much better... Those old winmo pdas were pretty terrible, but there was no alternative back then.

:rolleyes: Just bad programmers
    I used to develop for the old windows mobile too.

See my comment above :D

The simplest OS to program for is WP7 without a doubt. Try downloading the tools from here, you'll be up and running in no time.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=11321

Look at this old Windows Mobile phone from back in October 2009,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuOvHWoL5bg&feature=relmfu

Thats what's possible on the old windows mobile. If you seen a bad app it was just written by a bad lazy programmer.

You linked the HD2, which was the very last/best winmo phone. You seem to ignore all the terrible ones that went before it (stylus + resistive screen etc). Personally I wouldn't touch windows phone etc because it's awful, but I did get paid loads of money to develop for the old system.

Especially hilarious was when Microsoft sent a team around to train us on winmo 6.5. During lunch break one of the microsofties let slip "hey guys don't bother with this ****, it will all be dropped in a few weeks".

I write c++ and opengl code. This is now unsupported on windows phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

At the time they were great IMO. This was my first one.

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=102&c=casio_cassiopeia_em-500

You linked the HD2, which was the very last/best winmo phone. You seem to ignore all the terrible ones that went before it (stylus + resistive screen etc). Personally I wouldn't touch windows phone etc because it's awful, but I did get paid loads of money to develop for the old system.

I linked to the HD2 phone to show "you" what could be done on Windows mobile but it seems to have flow over your head and you think I'm trying to show you the hardware? :confused:

I could link to some app on windows mobile to show you how bad an app could look written by a poor programmer but I have a feeling you know all about that. As I could link to some app written on any OS and show you how bad it could look. A windows mobile program is only as bad as its programmer is

Especially hilarious was when Microsoft sent a team around to train us on winmo 6.5. During lunch break one of the microsofties let slip "hey guys don't bother with this ****, it will all be dropped in a few weeks".

I write c++ and opengl code. This is now unsupported on windows phone.

He was clearly in good campany. :D

If you read between the lines you would probably cop that I was writing hardware accelerated UI skins for windows mobile (just like HTC Sense). So yeah, I kinda do know what was possible because I was the guy doing it ;)

How the fook did you mis-spell "campany"? A is on the other side of the keyboard from O. Freudian slip?

How the fook did you mis-spell "campany"? A is on the other side of the keyboard from O. Freudian slip?

I didn't mis-spell campany but you knew exactly what I meant. :p

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I linked to the HD2 phone to show "you" what could be done on Windows mobile but it seems to have flow over your head and you think I'm trying to show you the hardware? :confused: ...

I'm confused too I though he was talking about the hardware, and your reply was also about the hardware.

BostonB wrote: »
    I'm confused too I though he was talking about the hardware, and your reply was also about the hardware.

We were talking about programming on windows mobile, my link was showing what was possible to do with the windows mobile os.

Why would he be talking about the hardware if the OP was talking about the programming and where in his first post does he mention hardware?

The OS running on the HD2 is the same OS that runs on other old underpowered windows mobile phones that he's talking about. Better hardware does not make a better OS, the OS is still the same.

If we're talking about Hardware the HD2 would have been probably the most powerfull mobile phone back then with a massize 4.3 inch screen, it could dual boot Windows Mobile and Andriod and can run the new Windows Phone 7 os just as good as any windows phone 7 can today.

I...Those old winmo pdas were pretty terrible...

Not that old OS was terrible....etc.

Anyway I was just saying that it was a bit ambiguous.

So folks, what do you reckon about Windows Phone 7?

So folks, what do you reckon about Windows Phone 7?

Of all the mobile phone OS's I think the WP7 Mango version is the best and its what I'm currently using but that's not to say its the best for you. A lot of people would find Android better and a lot would fine IOS better both of which are great OS's

Google for some reviews of the new WP7 Mango version coming out soon and you'll see all of them give Mango a good write up. Try YouTube for some reviews of Mango to see how it all comes together in operation.

From a programming point of view its very easy to get into and the tools Microsoft have are by far the best available. If you've used visual studio before you'll be up and running in no time. Just download the tools and see how quickly you can knock up a simple nice looking app. You don't need to spend a penny to try it out, you can deploy apps to the WP7 emulator to test.

So anyone have any opinions on HTC's Win7 phone - http://www.htc.com/europe/product/hd7/overview.html ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Windows 7 is a very nice OS, and worth investing it. While it doesn't have the level of apps that Android and iOS do (yet), it's easily the best looking and most intuitive of the 3 major smartphone OSs. I'd definitely consider it, and with the Mango update here around September, it fixes a lot of complaints about missing features.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Boradan

Microsoft own Windows mobile but I don't need a live / hotmail email account. Also, lets sat an author creates a program for Android and makes it available on a forum etc. Could I not just download and install it ??? Why do I need a gmail account?

With WP 7 you DO need a windows live ID.
    The main source of apps for each OS is their own market. In order to purchase paid for apps, you need a credit card, and that is linked to your gmail/windows live ID.
    This means that if you buy an android app from the market, then change phones to a new android phone, your new phone will automatically download the apps you have purchased once you input your g-mail account details.
    Your android phone also links through to your gmail account which pushes e-mails to the phone as soon as you receive them, also, if you use google calendar, you can add appointments on your pc and they become available immediately on your phone.

I had an HTC HD2 for over a year, and since January this year, I have been running android on it (apart from a few weeks trying out WP7).
    IMO, Android is MUCH smoother than WP7 or WM 6.5. It is infinitely customisable, and a much better User experience. The stock UI that carriers provide with android phones is normally excellent for every day use by non-techie people, however, if you are inclined to spend a little time on the phone, you can customise it so that YOUR phone looks and acts like nobody elses. Microsoft made a big mistake when they set up WP7 so that basically all you could do was change the wallpaper/colours/layout on the phone. Like iPhones, almost every wp7phone looks the same (on screen).
    If you wish to install apps that dont come from the marketplace, all you need to do is tick ONE box in the setting to allow this. No need for jailbreaking.

I just bought a Galaxy S2 and I must say that I am very much impressed with it. Even though it is bigger than the iPhone 4, it is lighter.
    The AMOLED screen is a joy to behold and is crystal clear and vibrant. You can browse Flash-based sites (which the iPhone cant do) and for about €20 you can get an MHL adapter that plugs into your micro USB port. Plug an HDMI cable into that, and connect it to your HD TV.... I transferred a few HD movies to my phone and the quality is amazing.. Add a bluetooth Keyboard and mouse and you can use your phone as a PC :eek:

It also shoots 1080p HD video and has an 8MP camera... not too shabby....

Also, samsung have unlocked the bootloader, so you dont need to hack the phone in order to install custom ROMS. Not too bad at all.

Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Could anyone link me to a good android rom for my hd2? Thanks

pabloh999 wrote: »
    Could anyone link me to a good android rom for my hd2? Thanks

Best place for HTC HD2 Android Roms is XDA, take your pick from these :D

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=928

HD2, now that was a phone ahead of its time, King of Phones! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Boradan wrote: »
    With WP 7 you DO need a windows live ID.
    The main source of apps for each OS is their own market. In order to purchase paid for apps, you need a credit card, and that is linked to your gmail/windows live ID.
    This means that if you buy an android app from the market, then change phones to a new android phone, your new phone will automatically download the apps you have purchased once you input your g-mail account details.
    Your android phone also links through to your gmail account which pushes e-mails to the phone as soon as you receive them, also, if you use google calendar, you can add appointments on your pc and they become available immediately on your phone.

I had an HTC HD2 for over a year, and since January this year, I have been running android on it (apart from a few weeks trying out WP7).
    IMO, Android is MUCH smoother than WP7 or WM 6.5. It is infinitely customisable, and a much better User experience. The stock UI that carriers provide with android phones is normally excellent for every day use by non-techie people, however, if you are inclined to spend a little time on the phone, you can customise it so that YOUR phone looks and acts like nobody elses. Microsoft made a big mistake when they set up WP7 so that basically all you could do was change the wallpaper/colours/layout on the phone. Like iPhones, almost every wp7phone looks the same (on screen).
    If you wish to install apps that dont come from the marketplace, all you need to do is tick ONE box in the setting to allow this. No need for jailbreaking.

I just bought a Galaxy S2 and I must say that I am very much impressed with it. Even though it is bigger than the iPhone 4, it is lighter.
    The AMOLED screen is a joy to behold and is crystal clear and vibrant. You can browse Flash-based sites (which the iPhone cant do) and for about €20 you can get an MHL adapter that plugs into your micro USB port. Plug an HDMI cable into that, and connect it to your HD TV.... I transferred a few HD movies to my phone and the quality is amazing.. Add a bluetooth Keyboard and mouse and you can use your phone as a PC :eek:

It also shoots 1080p HD video and has an 8MP camera... not too shabby....

Also, samsung have unlocked the bootloader, so you dont need to hack the phone in order to install custom ROMS. Not too bad at all.

Andy

I have to disagree here. Windows phone 7 is a lot smoother and polished than andorid (this is coming from a person that had 2 android devices)

Advertisement