Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bored of food

Options
  • 20-07-2011 6:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Over the last few days I've gotten really really bored of eating. My work schedule is all over the place so I often have to remind myself to eat, I then sit down and scoff twice the amount I should as I'd have forgotten to eat in 10 hours :rolleyes:. I'm sick to death of cheese, sauces, white carby things and ready meals.

I need ideas for easy, cheap, filling and acceptable to a non veggie meals. I really must emphasise the cheap part as we have shopped for the next 2 weeks already but everything seems to be so...ugh. I've made batches of dinner and froze them, but they're all too rich and samey, mushroom stroganoff, spinach lasagne, shepards pie, meatless stew. Heavy, creamy, cheesy crap tbh.

Any suggestions on things that will keep well, are easy to throw together after a night shift, wont cost a lot and that will keep cheese, bread and creamy sauces to a minimum?

(On the plus side I've just discovered butter bean mash and it's :eek: good)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

What about making batches of soup or smoothies?

I know the feeling you're talking about and I too, get that feeling of not even wanting to chew. :-)

You can make a batch of soup just before your shifts come up and freeze it so its always there. Then, you can throw in a bit of pasta if you wanted on the night, just to jazz it up a bit.

Smoothies, you'd obviously make on the spot.

I work late also and sometimes, I find, that a big bowl of cereal is really satisfying after a long day. ;) If you're doing this though, make sure you've got nutritious snacks with you throughout the day. Carrot sticks and hummus are a firm fave of mine... Would you forget to snack if you'd actually brought the food in with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Whispered wrote: »
    (On the plus side I've just discovered butter bean mash and it's :eek: good)

It's funny you say that, only discovered this recently when I was down home with nothing much to eat, I'm not that keen on butter beans, my mother blended them up, was really good!

Advertisement