Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

avoca river 17 lb seatrout!!!

Options
  • 20-07-2011 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Fly caught recently and released ! Anyone hear anything more of this leviathan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I got the heads up on this last night..

Record Breaker I gather.. I think the record was 16lbs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Any more news on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

17lb? thats unreal hope its true that'd be great especially if it was released

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Would love to see this beast, fish of a lifetime.

17lb? thats unreal hope its true that'd be great especially if it was released

Yes it was released..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sean raff

monster fish well done who ever caught it

it had to be released AFAIK.. The avoca is closed for sea trout over 40cms

shblob wrote: »
    it had to be released AFAIK.. The avoca is closed for sea trout over 40cms
    yeah but there are those that'd keep it fair play to the bloke for releasing it

It would be very stupid to kill a fish you're going to be claiming as a record then admit it. he may have killed it.. who knows? who cares? fair play to him for catching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

i am a bit skeptical, any photos of this fish about?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I struggle t catch fish over a pound on d avoca.but somtimes there are some klonkers caught like every river and its catch and release full stop below or above d 40cm and fly only..

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bibio

Heard about it too, scale samples have been apparently sent off, captor released the fish. Great catch well done to the luckly angler
    Guess the details will come back once it is confirmed as a sea trout

I struggle t catch fish over a pound on d avoca.but somtimes there are some klonkers caught like every river and its catch and release full stop below or above d 40cm and fly only..
    ive heard there does be 4to5lb wild browns caught in it every year is that true? its a lovely clean river aswell very well looked after by the local club anyone know who to contact to get in? i lost a salmon on it about 8 weeks ago had net beside him an he got off lovely fish and lovely river an congrats to the angler that hooked the sea trout :cool:

ive heard there does be 4to5lb wild browns caught in it every year is that true? its a lovely clean river aswell very well looked after by the local club anyone know who to contact to get in? i lost a salmon on it about 8 weeks ago had net beside him an he got off lovely fish and lovely river an congrats to the angler that hooked the sea trout :cool:
    Here you go :)
    http://fishwicklow.ie/rathdrum.home.html

well from avoca to arklow the river wouldnt be the cleanest there is an old copper mine in avoca that leaks into the river u can c when d river is low a copper tinge off the rocks on the river bed. thats why the river is catch and release.but fish make it above the mines some also die.there is also the aughrim river that flows into the avoca.its pretty clean.i only fish one pool on the avoca regularly .I fish in d aughrim river d rest of the time.my friend hooked and lost a lovely fish last night think it was a sea trout.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

dodderangler that kind of reads that you where fishing without a permit im sure this isnt the case

natdog wrote: »
    dodderangler that kind of reads that you where fishing without a permit im sure this isnt the case
    there is no club on the avoca but u can get a permit in d petrol station at woddenbridge.its only 5 euro.

Fishing on the Avoca river downstream of Whitebridge is free. Above that, as far as Clara Vale, the fishing is controlled by the Rathdrum Anglers (see link above) and day tickets are freely available.
    The most polluted stretch is from Whitebridge to the confluence of the Augrim river. There are no fish in this stretch. The Augrim river dilutes the runoff from the mines somewhat, so fishing improves from this point to the sea.
    The catch and release policy is nothing to do with pollution from the mines - it is in line with salmon and sea trout conservation policy for all east coast fisheries and nationally where the numbers of returning fish have reached dangerously low levels. So low in fact, that there may not be enough fish available to sustain a breeding population.
    Bait fishing (worm, shrimp etc.) is prohibited as part of these conservation measures because such methods could possibly damage or even kill a fish. So it is fly or spinner only.

It seems the rumour is a strong one. I have heard that the fish was caught in the Aughrim river.
    It would be fantastic if the report is true, but there is always the chance of misidentification - happens all the time.
    Could it have been a salmon? Could it have been an escapee from the nearby trout farm? I hope not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Yes
    The scales were taken for verification....
    Still...if not...
    A great salmon !

slowburner wrote: »
    It seems the rumour is a strong one. I have heard that the fish was caught in the Aughrim river.
    It would be fantastic if the report is true, but there is always the chance of misidentification - happens all the time.
    Could it have been a salmon? Could it have been an escapee from the nearby trout farm? I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

i am a bit skeptical, any photos of this fish about?

16.75lbs apparently, though I don't think the scales was certified. I've seen the photos, but I don't have permission to post them. Caught in the Avoca alright, on a fly the angler tied himself. Definitely a sea trout, and a massive fish. I have a photo of a 15lbs trout that I caught a few years ago, and this one is definitely bigger. Well done that man!

Zzippy wrote: »
    16.75lbs apparently, though I don't think the scales was certified. I've seen the photos, but I don't have permission to post them. Caught in the Avoca alright, on a fly the angler tied himself. Definitely a sea trout, and a massive fish. I have a photo of a 15lbs trout that I caught a few years ago, and this one is definitely bigger. Well done that man!
    Can you not bribe him for the photos or is he holding out for the press? ;)
    Hopefully he was able to get some measurements of the fish, or at least something in the photos to judge the size by. If a scale sample was taken, it could reveal a lot of information. Very exciting stuff if it's all true. What a catch!
    The current record is 16 lbs 6 oz. caught on the river Shimna, County Down in 1983. I know of a sea trout of 19 lbs that was gaffed out of a river in the late 70's and I handled another illegally caught one of 14 lbs* - both from the east coast - so they are definitely about!

*I had a legitimate reason for handling this fish, by the way!

natdog wrote: »
    well i didnt know a licence was needed never met a bailiff on it and no one told me i needed one ive talked to loads of anglers and they never said anything

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Can you not bribe him for the photos or is he holding out for the press? ;)
    Hopefully he was able to get some measurements of the fish, or at least something in the photos to judge the size by. If a scale sample was taken, it could reveal a lot of information. Very exciting stuff if it's all true. What a catch!
    The current record is 16 lbs 6 oz. caught on the river Shimna, County Down in 1983. I know of a sea trout of 19 lbs that was gaffed out of a river in the late 70's and I handled another illegally caught one of 14 lbs* - both from the east coast - so they are definitely about!

*I had a legitimate reason for handling this fish, by the way!

Someone else sent me on the photos, they are low res but clear enough, but its not my place to post photos of someone who may not wish to have their pic on an internet forum without asking them, and I don't know the angler concerned personally.... trust me though, its an impressive fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

26 posts in and still all hear say.
    Any real evidence?

surely you'd have to wait for confirmation of the scale samples.

I have also seen photos, and scales have been sent off for investigations.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Such distrust tsk tsk
    You would swear all anglers are scoundrels that inflate and exaggerate....
    I for one am a believer!!!

26 posts in and still all hear say.
    Any real evidence?

• Advertisement

Mysteriouser and mysteriouser. Why the reluctance to show a photo, if not on Boards then why are we not seeing it anywhere else?:cool:

Advertisement