Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolute Disgrace

Options
  • 20-07-2011 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

I've just spotted on my walk from the park and ride to the dart station that all of the new solar lamps that were installed last year have been smashed leaving only a few working near the shops.

It was hardly done unnoticed and I hope whoever did it got caught.

The youth of this town really have gone downhill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tiradon

Disgraceful. If this was young lads, the problem is that even if they were/are caught, what will happen to them? "Minors" have no deterrant as the law is designed to protect them rather than punish them. Generally, it is up to the parents to discipline them but the sad reality is that often the parents of these delinquents are as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

The effort that must have gone into that. What were they thinking? I feel for the Tidy Towns team out every other evening down there trying to make the place look presentable. I woudn't generalise against the youth of this town however. Firstly, I know many of them through sporting clubs and they are generally better behaved and have more respect than some other places I've lived. Secondly, we don't know who did this or if they live in Greystones.

Did anyone notice the article on the People last week about Greystones losing its only Garda squad patrol car because it has too much mileage on it or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tiradon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Too many parking meter wardens, not enough Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 kayman78

We wouldn't want to broadcast this to criminals in the surrounding areas.....uh....hang on....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrickpc

Tiradon wrote: »

Read the article and look at the first ad at the bottom in the attached. The internet has a sense of humour...

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Seasonal

I have to say that the Spanish students have been incredibly mischievous around the town recently so it's it's not necessarily the local youths. I saw one young chap trying to smash the foothpath uplighters with the heel of his runner. Little sh!t!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭antoniolgj

Seasonal wrote: »
    I have to say that the Spanish students have been incredibly mischievous around the town recently so it's it's not necessarily the local youths. I saw one young chap trying to smash the foothpath uplighters with the heel of his runner. Little sh!t!

Agreed...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

looks like he succedded as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Seasonal

Ah, I didn't realise you were referrring to the uplighters! I should have rung his neck when I had the chance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrickpc

It looked to me as if the lights had all been broken with a pointed object - like a stick or even a hammer. You would imagine that these lights would have re-inforced glass in them to weather day-to-day traffic so they must have been given a good belt. I think there is CCTV in the playground Car Park so perhaps the little monkeys were filmed. Anyone know who could check this out?

The damage must have been done last night as the lights were intact when I was passing about 6:30pm yesterday and were smashed before 7:30am this morning.

Would love, just for once, if someone could be made pay for the damage... :mad:

yeah looked pointed here too, i would say the courner of a brick, a pick or sharp end of a hammer.

i too hope someone gets caught but since we've no garda car any more i don't think they'll arrest anyone! imaging having to walk a suspect from kindlestown to the garda station in cuffs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Could have just as easily been people on the way home from the pub as it could have been youths and as another poster has pointed out, the spanish students. Agreed, spanish students have been very irritating this year.

Also matt, can I ask why you picked Kindlestown as an example there or was it just a random thought?

random thought, its the only little area name i know, wasn't generalising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Ah ok! Sorry to suggest otherwise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

Off topic I know and could probably do with another thread but the Spanish students this year don't seem to be well supervised. My mother who is by no means young has nearly been pushed over by a crowd of them when she was trying to get off a dart, apparently they were pushing her back on while crowding to get on the dart themselves.

This is no reflection on their character though, I'm sure they're all lovely people and it's nice to see them here but you know how it gets with big crowds of anyone, they need to be supervised.

Actually forget about another thread, there's no point moaning about it online, best off just saying it to whoever is looking after them

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

We don't know who did it - any speculation that it was people from Kindlestown or Spanish students is not welcome

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

i didn't speculate, just the first place that cmae out of my head, wasn't using it to stereotype etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Can't say that I'm surprised to hear about Greystones. As I'm sick of saying, what a country - plenty of law but no order. Ever time that I hear that ffxxn Eircom Ad about the peace of mind it gives you knowing that there will be an instant response to the alarm should it go off, I want to scream! About a month ago I had reason to be called when an alarm went off - over an hour it took for the immediate response because the car was on an another call. The town (Enniscorthy) is devoid of a visible garda presence most of the time - especially at night - despite having a fine big, architecturally designed station with a museum of police helmets from all over the world.

Things got so bad back in 2009 that the nearby town of Bunclody had to resort to hiring a private security firm to patrol the streets at night. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

I think 35 Gardai in Greystones is sufficient. Given the verbal and physical abuse Spanish students received in greystones recently I am not surprised they may have a little animosity towards the town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I think 35 Gardai in Greystones is sufficient. Given the verbal and physical abuse Spanish students received in greystones recently I am not surprised they may have a little animosity towards the town.

So, assuming it was Spanish students as opposed to local skangers, the fact they may have suffered abuse makes it okay to smash up the place. Oh, and do the 35 gardai have a visible presence on the streets? Greystones must be a pretty unique place if that's the case. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

We don't know who did it - any speculation that it was people from Kindlestown or Spanish students is not welcome

Locking this as my warning above not heeded

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement