Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing Strawberries from seed

Options
  • 20-07-2011 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Hi - I would like a large strawberry patch in my new allotment next year. As plants can be expensive (and I don't have any now to get runners from) I am thinking about growing from seed.
    Any tips? Is it difficult? What varieties would you recommend from seed? Is it too late to start now and expect fruiting plants next year?
    I should have a polytunnel up and running by the end of August which should give them extra summer-like weather to develop.
    Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Any strawberry seed I have sown in the past was sown in December and can take up to two seasons to bear fruit.

Bare root strawberry plants are probably your best shot.. get them in April May next year..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

redser7 wrote: »
    Hi - I would like a large strawberry patch in my new allotment next year. As plants can be expensive (and I don't have any now to get runners from) I am thinking about growing from seed.
    Any tips? Is it difficult? What varieties would you recommend from seed? Is it too late to start now and expect fruiting plants next year?
    I should have a polytunnel up and running by the end of August which should give them extra summer-like weather to develop.
    Thanks a lot

Look out for garden centre sales, most have one late autumn\winter.
    I've got strawberry plants for 1 euro before. Most people see a fading plant and think its not good ;)

Thanks a lot, I'll keep an eye out.
    Sister has a few plants and I would like to get some runners off them. But was reading that you should cut all the foliage right down after the fruit is done. So do we cut them back, and then wait for runner to develop? Or the other way around? And would multipurpose be ok to root the runners in?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

my strawberry plants are already throwing runners out so all I do is get some degradable pots or even empty loo rolls, fill with multipurpose compost, pin the runner onto the compost while still attached to the "mother" plant. When roots have formed detach the runner and plant pot and all wherever you want it.

Strawberry plants need to be replaced every few years as they get tired and don't fruit well so use above method to keep replacing them :)

• Advertisement

Brilliant thanks a lot. How long would they take to root? A month?

Sorry for all the questions - but what do you do with the runners then? Plant them in the ground for over winter or keep them in pots and keep them inside somewhere? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

lucylu wrote: »
    Any strawberry seed I have sown in the past was sown in December and can take up to two seasons to bear fruit.
    I've been advised that when growing strawbs from seed one should pick off any flowers in the first year so the plant can focus on maturing rather than wasting energy on flowers and fruit. It means a better crop the next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Sorry for all the questions - but what do you do with the runners then? Plant them in the ground for over winter or keep them in pots and keep them inside somewhere? Cheers

I left the detached runners in pots over winter, they survived ok despite a nasty cold winter. Strawberries are hardy.

Thanks everyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Just to point out that stawberries are one of those fruit plants like apples, plums etc that require a certain amount of cold hours before they fruit so keeping them nice and warm overwinter isthe worst possible thing to do.

Some of the commercial guys actually can get two harvests a year out of strawberries by placing the plants in a cold store for a week or two to simulate winter.

Thanks, I'll pop them in a cold frame for the worst weather so.

So I pinned down a few runners. There appear to be second plants developing further down some of the runners. Could these be potted too? Or is this expecting too much of the mother plant?
    Would people take a crop from these new planlets the following year? Or should I nip the flowers and wait for the second season crop?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

So I pinned down a few runners. There appear to be second plants developing further down some of the runners. Could these be potted too? Or is this expecting too much of the mother plant?
    Would people take a crop from these new planlets the following year? Or should I nip the flowers and wait for the second season crop?

Cheers

Once you put a runner in soil and it has root, chop of the end of the runner so all the power goes into making that runner that's in soil grow bigger, after few months once it seems healthy enough chop of the remaining connection from main plant and now you have a strawberry plant on its own :)

Perfect, thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you should also look into growing alpine strawberries; these will grow happily from seed and are much less fussy than strawberries. the don't send out runners, which could be seen as a drawback or a bonus.

Thanks, I'll do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

you should also look into growing alpine strawberries; these will grow happily from seed and are much less fussy than strawberries. the don't send out runners, which could be seen as a drawback or a bonus.

Do you get much of a crop from alpine? Grew them for a couple of years, more of a decorative plant than a fruiting plant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

getting a fair crop this year, but more in a 'pick and eat on the spot' rather than harvest to get a big bowl full. that's off three plants, about three years old each. they grow very readily from their own seeds too.

Advertisement