Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best typography book for graphic design?

Options
  • 20-07-2011 9:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hi, :)

Could someone recommend a book on typography which would help a student studying graphic design?

Is there a well known in the field 'bible' that every designer should have?

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Yeah, right...nice one like! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭MsHolloway

These are some good books in my opinion, others may not agree with me but I found these books very helpful!

Grid Systems in Graphic Design - Josef Muller Brockman (as for Bible, some people may say this one)
    Stop Stealing Sheep & Find out How Type Works - Erik Spiekerman
    Thinking with Type - Ellen Lupton
    Grid Systems: Principles of Organizing Type - Kimberly Elam
    Type and Typography - Phil Baines and Andrew Haslam (This one we were told to get as part of our course, its a good basic book, definitely worth a read I think)

Hope this helps you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

If you're interested in typography then I'd definitely recommend 8Faces magazine.

http://8faces.com/

Thanks for the replies.

I ended up ordering 'The Elements of Typographic Style' Robert Bringhurst online, received it a few days ago but I don't feel it's I was looking for. It seems very text heavy.

I'm looking for a reference book for typography something I look into everynow so often if I need to check something, lots of nice images of different typefaces ar also helpful.

Thanks for the suggestions there, I will check up on them.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The names Ruairi McLean and Jan Tschichold are often mentioned in relation to typography. Possibly the former's "Typography" (Thames & Hudson Manuals) would be a good text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Thinking With Type is a good introduction to Typography

Yeah, anyway ''The Elements of Typographic Style' is getting returned, had another browse through it this morning, it's too detailed for my needs and kind of boring.

I kind of have the same feeling about "Typography" (Thames & Hudson Manuals), it dosen't seem very popular on Amazon.

I might check out 'Thinking With Type', it seems to be coming up a lot in blogs and it has good reviews on Amazon.

Anyone with other suggestions, please send them my way.:)

Regards

The Think With Type website has tons of good content on it too.

Also, adobe has a really good typography primer for free on it's site. Worth printing out.
    http://www.adobe.com/education/pdf/type_primer.pdf

Thanks p

I will check out the website, is it related to the book (Thinking with Type)?

Question: What about a book that covers all the font types or styles, does such a thing exist for designers?

Regards.

FlashD wrote: »
    I will check out the website, is it related to the book (Thinking with Type)?

Question: What about a book that covers all the font types or styles, does such a thing exist for designers?
    It's directly related to the book, yea.

A book that covers all fonts or styles - hehe - that would be pretty huge, just browse a professional font website like myfonts.com or fontshop.com

• Advertisement

Hi,

Had a look through the website 'Thinking With Type', seems what I may be looking for, based on this I reckon i'll order the book.

Yeah, I have a few websites I look through for fonts but sometimes it's cool to have a book to leaf through and have the font in print rather than on the screen......for me anyway.

I guess i'm looking for a book with all the basic fonts.

I found these two if anyone has any comments.

The book of 5000 fonts is about 300 yoyos :eek:

http://www.amazon.com/1000-Fonts-Keith-Martin/dp/081186846X/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1312342705&sr=8-7

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-000-Fonts-Where/dp/006093803X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312342705&sr=8-1

Regards. :)

Advertisement