Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From O2 to Vodafone to 3

Options
  • 20-07-2011 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

OK, try and stay with me here!

I've been on O2 prepay for as long as I can remember. Have a crappy Nokia phone and since I now have a decent, steady job I decided that I'd get a new phone.

I had a quick look around and decided on the HTC Wildfire S, which is the cheapest if I switch to Vodafone for €199 on prepay (unless someone knows cheaper!). My plan was then to join 3's 30 day contract, sim only, classic flex max plan with 350 units, all you can eat data, and a freebie (was going to get free texts to all networks) for €30 p/m.

My question is: Is there any problem with switching from O2 prepay, to Vodafone prepay, and then to 3 billpay within a couple of days?

Or if anyone has any better suggestions of going about this? Don't want to get a phone on billpay because I think they're an absolute rip-off so this sim only deal seems great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

could you not port to "3" and buy a HTC wildfire online ?

also .... if you read around there are plenty of people who do not enjoy the service (particularly data usage) from "3" ....there are also plenty who dislike o2 and vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ForTheLoveOf_Fi

Firstly how do you intend unlocking the Vodafone Wildfire S to be able to use it with 3 sim card? it may cost you so bear that in mind.

Ivodafones porting in price is great value.
    Is a good price alright though and a nifty phone i love it.

Its a good idea alright and there should be no issues moving your numbers around just bear in mind it can take 2-48hrs to move a number over depending, the prepay one will be fine no hassle but the 3 bill pay one could take a day or two but will be worth it in the end. :)

on the topic of the 3 network, there deals are great and you should have no hassle, if you do though 3 can be very hard to sort stuff out with. but as you will be in a 30 day contract you can leave when you want your not stuck with them for 2 years or anything. and im totally with you on avoiding the bill pay full contract option!

let me know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

PCPhoto wrote: »
    could you not port to "3" and buy a HTC wildfire online ?

also .... if you read around there are plenty of people who do not enjoy the service (particularly data usage) from "3" ....there are also plenty who dislike o2 and vodafone.

I've looked at a few sim free ones on amazon, etc... but for the €30-€40 I'd save, I'd rather have the piece of mind knowing that I'm going to get the phone I'm looking for, brand new, no problems.

Regarding 3, I know a few people on it and they think it's fine?
    Firstly how do you intend unlocking the Vodafone Wildfire S to be able to use it with 3 sim card? it may cost you so bear that in mind.

Ivodafones porting in price is great value.
    Is a good price alright though and a nifty phone i love it.

Its a good idea alright and there should be no issues moving your numbers around just bear in mind it can take 2-48hrs to move a number over depending, the prepay one will be fine no hassle but the 3 bill pay one could take a day or two but will be worth it in the end. :)

on the topic of the 3 network, there deals are great and you should have no hassle, if you do though 3 can be very hard to sort stuff out with. but as you will be in a 30 day contract you can leave when you want your not stuck with them for 2 years or anything. and im totally with you on avoiding the bill pay full contract option!

let me know how you get on!

I've heard of people getting it unlocked from Vodafone for nothing but they have to wait a few days for the code. I've also heard of people paying €20 for it!

Going to chance my arm and see if I can get it off them for free but apparently there are some requirements you have to fill (which I obviously won't). €20 isn't too bad if I have to pay it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ForTheLoveOf_Fi

fingers crossed, sometimes they require you to spend X amount of credit, but if they say that you can usually get a code online for the 20quid mark. best of luck and i hope you get it sorted and like your new phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If your going down the 3 route i'd nearly bite the bullet and pay the extra for the 3 phone as it's all set up and configured with 3 apps and links. You'll also get support from 3 on it, you won't with a vodafone one.
    If you go to a store you might be able to bargain with them if your getting a pre pay phone and a sim only contract, if they knocked €25 off the total price you wouldn't be doing so bad, You'll probably have to ask for the manager directly before telling them your intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

You could get a LG Optimus 7 for 178 euros new and unlocked on ebay. It's a far better phone than the HTC Wildfire S and pick any mobile operator you chose.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3777&idPhone2=3532

http://cgi.ebay.de/LG-E900-OPTIMUS-7-WINDOWS-PHONE-7-BLACK-5M-KAMERA-HANDY-/190554079673?pt=DE_Handy_s&hash=item2c5de881b9

AntiVirus wrote: »
    You could get a LG Optimus 7 for 178 euros new and unlocked on ebay. It's a far better phone than the HTC Wildfire S and pick any mobile operator you chose.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3777&idPhone2=3532

http://cgi.ebay.de/LG-E900-OPTIMUS-7-WINDOWS-PHONE-7-BLACK-5M-KAMERA-HANDY-/190554079673?pt=DE_Handy_s&hash=item2c5de881b9

I was actually looking at this but I read a few things about people being unhappy with the OS?

For that price it seems too good to be true though!? Do you know anyone that has got it off priceguard before? Also, would they deliver here from Germany I'm guessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

leggit wrote: »
    I was actually looking at this but I read a few things about people being unhappy with the OS?

For that price it seems too good to be true though!? Do you know anyone that has got it off priceguard before? Also, would they deliver here from Germany I'm guessing?

I did! Loads of people from boards.ie bought the LG Optimus 7 from Price Guard. It was in the bargin alerts here :pac:

Lots of people where unsure but at that price it's hard not to buy, they bought the phone and think its great. Read the original bargin alert thread below:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056263837

Also I'd goolge some review's to see what they're saying about the new Mango update for WP7 coming out soon to see how good the phone is.

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I did! Loads of people from boards.ie bought the LG Optimus 7 from Price Guard. It was in the bargin alerts here :pac:

Lots of people where unsure but at that price it's hard not to buy, they bought the phone and think its great. Read the original bargin alert thread below:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056263837

Also I'd goolge some review's to see what they're saying about the new Mango update for WP7 coming out soon to see how good the phone is.

Think I might have to go for this, saves all the hassle of unlocking too! Most people on that thread seem to have got it from Amazon though ans there don't seem to be any left there?

I'll probably order it tomorrow since it's pay day!

Edit: Ordered it last night! They had it up for €169 + €15 Postage so I decided to go for it. Fingers crossed it arrivers safe and sound next week!

Cheers for the advice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement