Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet > Wifi?

• 20-07-2011 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭

I'm travelling in a few weeks and will be staying in a hotel room for a bit.

The hotel say they have wired ethernet access for each room, but no Wifi. Basically just an ethernet cable or port above a desk in each room.

Is there a way I can convert this to have wifi in my room (for iPhone use, laptop etc). Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭RedXIV

You could pack a wireless router I suppose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you'll need a wireless bridge or access point (or a router, but it will probably be more expensive unless you already have one).

or you can create an adhoc wireless network on your laptop to connect your iphone etc. to and then create a network bridge using the wired and wireless adapters which (in windows 7 at least) just requires you to select both network adapters and right click and choose 'create bridge'.

although obviously, that's only going to work whilst you have the laptop turned on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Can someone recommend a good router to use? Cheap and cheerful but more importantly does the job? Thanks for the help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭YIA

Airport express would do the job.
    Not sure how cheap you want though.
    Think they're about €90.
    Real small and easy to use though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Depends on what type of authentication the hotel uses too. Last place I stayed I could only use one device, as the authentication was per device (cookies I think). Connecting a router in that case wouldn't work.

An ad-hoc connection from the laptop to the phone might be the best approach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement