Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did Google find my site?

Options
  • 20-07-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I did a search for a new site I was working on in Google and I was surprised to see that it actually showed up! At the time I didn't have a "Noindex" in there, but there are no links to this site from anywhere as it's still in development, so how did Google find it?

It is in a subdirectory of another live site that is rightfully showing up but as I said there are no links to this subdirectory.

Wierd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 donbon

They may have found you through the domain name registrar who often make this info available. This is how they found a domain i was working on. I didn't think to protect it because I thought it would not be listed anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I just realised I had installed All in One SEO Pack (It's Wordpress) so that might have something to do with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If you don't want it indexed, you can set noindex like this:
    <meta name="robots" content="noindex" />

or use robots.txt

There's quite a few options for how they might have found it. Your WordPress install might have pinged a service which Google indexes, and then followed.

They may have found it through a link from another site to your site (or maybe to a previous site if you used a domain that was used before). It could have been Twitter, Facebook, another blog, anything really.

As donbon said, they might even have found it via whois records.

Advertisement