Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battery usage versus iphone?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

Marco85 wrote: »
    android os 39%
    android system 23%
    display 14%
    cell standby 11%
    phone idle 7%
    wi fi sharing 4%
    internet 2%
    voice calls 2%

how do i get this patch mate?? does it involve flasing or rooting because i havent a breeze how to do that?

Ya. Thats the android system drain alright. Anything hitting the 20% mark or above is way too much. Mine would be between 5% and 7% most of the time.
    To get rid of it? Not sure if it can be done without rooting/flashing yet. Contact your provider and see if they have rolled out 2.3.4 for the SGS2

Your other option is to flash a custom 2.3.4 ROM.
    I have the SGS 1 so I don't know what ROMs are out there for the SGS2 but check out XDA forum.
    No major hassle to flash a ROM. Just follow the instructions that each specific ROM has and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Fecked around with my settings yesterday, after needing a recharge at lunch time.

I'm now at 100% battery after 4 hours with some light browsing and Facebook as well as a 5 minute phone call over Bluetooth.
    What things did u change mate!
    Downloaded juice defender, lowered screen brightness, lowered screen time out, deactivated pocket ringer mode, adjusted sync settings and a few other bits an peices. Still have 95% battery...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

srsly78 wrote: »
    Found your problem.

I thought the purpose of task killer was to save battery power? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I thought the purpose of task killer was to save battery power? :confused:

These were only of any use pre Android 2.0, now android manages running apps better than any task kiler. A lot of the apps that are open in the background don't actually use any battery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

went it to meteor shop and explained that the battery situation was a joke and its getting worse by the day since i bought in 3 weeks ago. your man has a fiddle around with it says they will replace the phone when they get them back in stock. he said there hoping to get them in by saturday!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Zagato wrote: »
    These were only of any use pre Android 2.0, now android manages running apps better than any task kiler. A lot of the apps that are open in the background don't actually use any battery

Fancy that, nice one! And what about juice defender, does that still help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Lads anyone able to figure this one out... Sony Ericsson Xperia (2.2), 13 hours from unchanging to phone die.. And i didn't even use it popped it into the pocket went to work and it dies on the way home...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

went it to meteor shop and explained that the battery situation was a joke and its getting worse by the day since i bought in 3 weeks ago. your man has a fiddle around with it says they will replace the phone when they get them back in stock. he said there hoping to get them in by saturday!!!

I suppose you can see how it goes but I'd say that if the new phone has the same firmware as the one you're bringing back then you'll just see the same problems.
    Your android system drain isn't going to go away with a new phone.
    You might not see it for a few days, maybe even a week or more but it will come back..........
    I just doubt very much that the hardware is the problem here.

Fancy that, nice one! And what about juice defender, does that still help?

Well juice defender could help, I tried it and personally didn't notice a lot of benefit for the nuisance of not having data on all the time. It mostly works by only having your data on for 5mins every 30mins. I use viber and whats app a bit so it would mean that messages are less than instant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Lol iPhones battery life has always been better over Android.

With every update they say they helped pro long battery life. But it never does last longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Lads anyone able to figure this one out... Sony Ericsson Xperia (2.2), 13 hours from unchanging to phone die.. And i didn't even use it popped it into the pocket went to work and it dies on the way home...

Its a smartphone, what do you expect? If you want 3+ days of battery life a Smartphone is not for you.

We've loads of smartphones here in work for development on and none of them last more than a day even when left on their own whether it be an iPhone 4, an SGS or a Blackberry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Hi.I'm newly registered to the forum but have been reading the Android section with interest the last month or so.great source of info.
    I have the desire hd and this thread has piqued my curiosity.its running sense,no custom roms or rooting and battery wise I'm happy with it.when I first got it at christmas I had that Android battery drain which had Android OS at 35% and was draining my battery in 4 or 5 hours with very little use.I got it sorted by uninstalling apps till I found shock one was causing it.
    Now from reading battery stats of others on here I see that a healthy system has Android OS at around 5% but mine dosent even appear on battery stats at all and in the manage apps section shows data at 0.I think I may have hit clear data at some stage.phone is working perfectly any way but wondering if this may be an issue at all.
    Sorry for the long winded post.

eggy81 wrote: »
    Hi.I'm newly registered to the forum but have been reading the Android section with interest the last month or so.great source of info.
    I have the desire hd and this thread has piqued my curiosity.its running sense,no custom roms or rooting and battery wise I'm happy with it.when I first got it at christmas I had that Android battery drain which had Android OS at 35% and was draining my battery in 4 or 5 hours with very little use.I got it sorted by uninstalling apps till I found shock one was causing it.
    Now from reading battery stats of others on here I see that a healthy system has Android OS at around 5% but mine dosent even appear on battery stats at all and in the manage apps section shows data at 0.I think I may have hit clear data at some stage.phone is working perfectly any way but wondering if this may be an issue at all.
    Sorry for the long winded post.

Yeah, am beginning to wonder how accurate those stats are at all. My SGS2 at the moment (with custom ROM and Ninpo kernel) says 29% Android OS -have gotten a full days use out of it. My Dad has an SGS and I was over upgrading it last night, it said his display was 84%, voice calls 8% and cell standby 8% and nothing else featured after about 14hrs use!

So in short I would take these numbers with a pinch of salt, except that if you do notice battery drain, Android OS is using a lot of battery and you've installed a new app - you may have your problem

Advertisement