Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for an affordable PLUMBING/UNDERFLOOR supplier

Options
  • 20-07-2011 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

If anyone knows any good and affordable plumbing suppliers near Claremorris (within an hr) pls let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

I know alot of companies around the country will travel nationally with no extra cost so you may save some money ringing around.

One thing I know is, if you are getting underfloor done make sure it is done by someone with experience. A friend got their brother (a plumber) to do it (it was his first time) and they now have the ESSO lorry on speed dial. They are absolutely robbed out the door with oil because of it.

My sister got eurotech for her house which was a new build and she is very happy with it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Oil and UFH are a no no. It doesn't work and too many people have found out the hard way. The calls from the UFH's different zones means the boiler is on continual call hence the high cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 emese

I called about 10 "local" companies, we'll see what prices they give us. One of them must be affordable :) That (local) narrowed down the search and also if we need more things later or god forbid complain, it's good to have them close.
    We are having a pro plumber put it in (not sure how many he's done before) and it will be ran off solid fuel!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

emese wrote: »
    I called about 10 "local" companies, we'll see what prices they give us. One of them must be affordable :) That (local) narrowed down the search and also if we need more things later or god forbid complain, it's good to have them close.
    We are having a pro plumber put it in (not sure how many he's done before) and it will be ran off solid fuel!

Emese don't base it on price what ever you do. Get companies with proven records and plumbers the same. IF the companies have done these before ask for references.

Check out the DIY section on here and the Construction forums. Get plenty of knowledge before you buy and install.

We'll be getting the supplies from heating supplier shop and the plumber has done UFH before too, we'll get his advice on the materials also. It's hard to know what's good and what isn't, everyone swears by their own. Reference is a good idea, but again - a lot of time and energy to look into it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Did you get a price of stuff off Joe Keavney?Cheapest supplier around Claremorris anyways.

I'll check him out, thanks! Do you know where he is based?

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

He live's out the old Knock road in Claremount Manor,no 4.He is Mastertherm.Here's his mobile ************ No numbers.

Sorry yop

Got it, thank you! We'll give him a call today!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Brookie123

Glynns homevalue in Claremorris are a good plumbing supplier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

yop wrote: »
    Oil and UFH are a no no. It doesn't work and too many people have found out the hard way. The calls from the UFH's different zones means the boiler is on continual call hence the high cost.
    What are you babbling on about oil and ufh is a good combo if the house is done right,
    its a big no no if you didnt insulate your house properly
    you dont get it laid properly
    you dont get proper controls with it.
    As for oil boiler on continual call, its highly reccomened you connect the boiler to and accumulator/ buffer tank that way its not stop starting all the time.

Alot of the one off houses done in the last decade , werent insulated properly if your house isnt well insulated ufh is just pissing against the wind .

What are you babbling on about oil and ufh is a good combo if the house is done right,
    its a big no no if you didnt insulate your house properly
    you dont get it laid properly
    you dont get proper controls with it.
    As for oil boiler on continual call, its highly reccomened you connect the boiler to and accumulator/ buffer tank that way its not stop starting all the time.

Alot of the one off houses done in the last decade , werent insulated properly if your house isnt well insulated ufh is just pissing against the wind .

Babbling on about the people who I know who are forking out thousands on oil. :rolleyes:

Maybe they haven't insulated properly or the have the wrong boiler, I am just telling you as it is, not babbling.

Been to Glynns, they did seem to know what they were talking about alright. Should be getting back to us with a quotation tomorrow.
    I think the buffer tank is definitely needed no matter what the UFH is ran by (solid fuel or oil) - that's what we were told by several plumbers.

Been to Glynns, they did seem to know what they were talking about alright. Should be getting back to us with a quotation tomorrow.
    I think the buffer tank is definitely needed no matter what the UFH is ran by (solid fuel or oil) - that's what we were told by several plumbers.
    Yup a properly sized buffer ensures maximum efficency from the boiler, just remember good insulation is key with underfloor along with good draughtproofing and relatively airtight .

If you dont insulate with underfloor then you will be throwing money away. What alot of people dont realise with underfloor is that its totally opposite to rads where you turn them on to get a blast of heat

With underfloor its all about achieving a given temp in the room and maintaining it, the better your insulation and design of the system the easier it is to maintain the temp .

With underfloor i recomend getting good quality digital thermostats , and zoning the system as much as possible .

It's an old stone cottage that we are doing up, insulated the roof and the floor, put in double glazed windows and doors, and will hemp and lime the inside (and maybe outside) walls.
    Being only a small cottage plus a small hall added on to it, there will be only those two zones.

It's an old stone cottage that we are doing up, insulated the roof and the floor, put in double glazed windows and doors, and will hemp and lime the inside (and maybe outside) walls.
    Being only a small cottage plus a small hall added on to it, there will be only those two zones.
    Ah your grand so , if your going to the trouble of getting a buffer it might be worth your while getting one with an extra coil so you could add solar at any stage if you wanted . Those clear skyed winter days could help

We HAVE to get a buffer tank. Everyone says we'll regret it if we don't and end up putting one in later.
    I don't believe in solar, i mean it's a great thing in spain, but here it's not cost and energy effective enough yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ep71

ive dealt with this guy before http://www.homewise.ie/supplier/Mayo/McmanamonHeatingplumbing/55103/
    he does a lot of renewable energy stuff, geothermal, solar etc. seems to know his stuff, might be worth a call if you're interested

We HAVE to get a buffer tank. Everyone says we'll regret it if we don't and end up putting one in later.
    I don't believe in solar, i mean it's a great thing in spain, but here it's not cost and energy effective enough yet.
    might not be cost effective in a small cottage, but trust me in a large home , with a properly installed system it can help an awful lot if you have clear skyed winters like the last 2 have been.
    I was in a house in december last winter with a high quality high efficency evacuated tube system and the cylinder was over 60 degrees at lunchtime with no assistance from boiler.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The brother has solar hot water and PV on his roof in England. His gas bills have dropped to near nothing (including in winter).

Even if the solar panels only heat the water to lukewarm, that's a huge amount of energy saved. It takes a colossal amount of heat to raise ice-cold water to that temperature.

• Advertisement

I think it might be a common misconception that you need loads of sun for solar to work!
    Don't rule it out at all, leave the setup there and if you get a cost effective setup then it will save you money in the long run.

It's not that we think it needs so much sun, but that it wouldn't be cost effective. Because it's so expensive to install, it would never ad up enough savings to make it worth while. As far as i know anyway.

Advertisement