Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying ANYTHING with phone credit?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Anyone know if you can use phone credit to pay for Google Play services such as Music or Movies?
    Is it possible to purchase gift code/ vouchers for the google play store using phone credit?

Also, I'm using an iPhone, would I have to switch to an android phone to make use of this?
    I have an android tablet however to make use of the codes/services.

I have over €70 worth of phone credit and with the death of buygamecredit I've nowhere left to go. #desperate
    Plus I'd like not to lose the credit because apparently they expire.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I don't know about iphone but I buy music, movies etc with 3 mobile credit. I haven't tried gift vouchers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ive cleared out my credit sometimes by giving it to charity, better than giving it to Three while we wait for something better to come along, they delete €20 every 6 months...

https://api.likecharity.com/charities/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gazkid2k11

Does anyone find a solution for this hmv game credit going down for good any way around this ? Any alternative ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

No alternative has cropped up yet. Can't see one coming either. Looks like three have tightened the riegns.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I pay my flightradar subscription with my credit. Great use of money, makes no difference to my pocket whether I do or don't spend it.

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    No alternative has cropped up yet. Can't see one coming either. Looks like three have tightened the riegns.
    Why did they close down like. Is it the mobile companys kicking up a fuss. And why is it irish people cant buy wallet top up from sony. Its pure discrimination 🀔😂😂

Gazkid2k11 wrote: »
    Why did they close down like. Is it the mobile companys kicking up a fuss. And why is it irish people cant buy wallet top up from sony. Its pure discrimination 🀔😂😂

Discrimination pfft. These companies are under no obligation to let you spend your money on things that don't benefit them, it was only ever done as a courtesy to improve customer service. Jesus talk about faux outrage

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I pay my flightradar subscription with my credit. Great use of money, makes no difference to my pocket whether I do or don't spend it.
    Whats flight trader. And how would it not benefit them. Technically they are recieveing more money. Hmm logic ?

Whats flight trader. And how would it not benefit them. Technically they are recieveing more money. Hmm logic ?

Look up flight radar.

How does it benefit the mobile networks? If Tom gives Dick a fiver to give to Billy, how does Dick benefit?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Look up flight radar.

How does it benefit the mobile networks? If Tom gives Dick a fiver to give to Billy, how does Dick benefit?

Im on about me giving sony 20 for sonys playstation wallet. Sony would then benefit cause they are recieveing 20 euro from me along with every other irish man that wants this service and if i was sony i would especially develop thsi so its available to every country because they have noting but profit to gain from it. Instead of just allowing the english to have it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Im on about me giving sony 20 for sonys playstation wallet. Sony would then benefit cause they are recieveing 20 euro from me along with every other irish man that wants this service and if i was sony i would especially develop thsi so its available to every country because they have noting but profit to gain from it. Instead of just allowing the english to have it.

There is a cost to implementing something like this. They might consider it not worth the cost and effort to implement for a smaller market like Ireland.

There is a cost to implementing something like this. They might consider it not worth the cost and effort to implement for a smaller market like Ireland.

It would hardly be that hard to do something like this. I just think myself if they did they would get more profit over time than expenses

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Totally missing how this works. The €20 on your account isn't worth €20. Not near it.

You top up by €20
    Three give you AYCE data and 3000 texts. This costs them €11 to provide say.
    €9 profit for Three

If you then spend €20 with an external provider they now lose €11 on you. Even if they get a good rate with the SMS payment operator and say €20 only nets €10 of cost to them they still lose €1 on you for the month.

MNOs only allowed these credit "extraction" services because a tiny minority used them, once they got big enough it hit the bottom line and boom they're gone. As the Irish market goes we're getting a great deal, I'm not complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Yeah I've never understood how 3 let it go for so long. I have been using credit for psn cards for years at this stage. Was good while it lasted but with that deal basically dead I might switch to Vodafone so I can actually get a decent service with my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

I assume the credit can be still used on the play store?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CosmoJoe90

ED E wrote: »
    Totally missing how this works. The €20 on your account isn't worth €20. Not near it.

You top up by €20
    Three give you AYCE data and 3000 texts. This costs them €11 to provide say.
    €9 profit for Three

If you then spend €20 with an external provider they now lose €11 on you. Even if they get a good rate with the SMS payment operator and say €20 only nets €10 of cost to them they still lose €1 on you for the month.

MNOs only allowed these credit "extraction" services because a tiny minority used them, once they got big enough it hit the bottom line and boom they're gone. As the Irish market goes we're getting a great deal, I'm not complaining.

Seems like a good point. But if you say it’s because the market grew - how come it is still available in the UK? You can even do it on the offical PS Store? Presume that market is much bigger than Ireland.

Similar thread started over in Bargain Alerts:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057869861

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭glaswegian

apart from games,which i have absolutely no interest in,what else can i buy with my exess credit??

That's what this thread is for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭glaswegian

RossieMan wrote: »
    That's what this thread is for.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have always used 3 credit but now it won't work. Contacted 3 & they are hopeless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭webpal

Got flightradar on android and can use it on iPhone, anyone know of other subscription apps that can be used like this? Except for music games or films.

Been looking through playstore and you'd nearly have to download each app before you can see if you can subscribe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

webpal wrote:
    Got flightradar on android and can use it on iPhone, anyone know of other subscription apps that can be used like this? Except for music games or films.

Most VPNs will let you use multiple devices and a good lot accept carrier billing, if you have any use for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

KilOit wrote: »
    I assume the credit can be still used on the play store?

How do you do this please?

Seve OB wrote: »
    How do you do this please?

have to have the sim with the credit in the phone.
    only works for android in ireland. not apple.
    go to google play app - settings - account -> payment method -> add new payment method. add carrier billing

only works for three and vodafone afaik. not tescomobile, lyca etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bielec

YouTube music can be paid for by phone credit. Plus you can rent movies on the "normal" YouTube as well.
    I have just done this. Although I did have to subscribe to YouTube Music and rent the movie from my phone. But once subscribed and rented you can use on anything. The movie can be watched on anything then as well, as long as you are logged into YouTube with the same account.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DazC98

Anything new at all? Miss being able to use it on Xbox. They have mobile billing directly on Xbox in loads of countries, don’t know what the hold up is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Renting Google movies for convenience is the only thing I can think of right now.

• Advertisement

Three have cut out pretty much everything. Have 100 euro and nothing to spend it on. Only so much to do on the play store.

Advertisement