Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide Dogs That Failed Training

• 20-07-2011 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi all!

I hope this is the right place to post this! I would like to get a dog for companionship and what not but my parents are reluctant because we had one before when I was really young who didnt work out :( But our neighbours and relatives got dogs recently that were swaying their descision.

Now to the point, I was wondering if anyone knew can people in Dublin get a guide dog that failed in its training and therefore can not be given to someone who is blind etc. or is it not possible or whats the story about them? When I said about this they said they definitely would get a dog if this happens.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

What difference is this going to make?? I'm sure I'm just being completely oblivious to their reasoning why a failed guide dog is any better than a "regular" dog. But I'm just not seeing it?

Training is key with any dog. If you want to "save" a dog - look at any of the rescue websites there are hundreds of dogs who need to be saved. Book them into training classes and you'll have a perfectly trained pet for the whole family.

Again - maybe I'm just being oblivious but I'm really not understanding this one at all! Appols!

• Administrators Posts: 14,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

What difference is this going to make?? I'm sure I'm just being completely oblivious to their reasoning why a failed guide dog is any better than a "regular" dog. But I'm just not seeing it?

Training is key with any dog.

Maybe they want a dog that's already well trained. It would be much easier than getting one that's not, and her parents would be more likely to accept a dog that's already very well trained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Well the think is that a dog that doesn't make the grade as a guide, assistance or companion animal....its usually for a reason and its usually behavioural or health. These are always large dogs and you are asked for a considerable donation. It would be unfair to take a dog on from this source if there were a chance it was not going to work out. The have already been through so much. If you were going to go down this route I would opt for a dog who is retiring...some retire for different reasons as young a 4 etc but they will always be nice and calm.

If I were you I would contact a reputable rescue and foster a dog with the view to adoption. I would recommend www.dogstrust.ie and opt for a settled dog.

Why did the previous dog you have not work out?

If you want further information about guide dogs feel free to pm me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

They would have gone through a lot of the training already, have basic obedience and be house trained.

OP as far as I know there is a very very long waiting list. They HV too and you may not pass this as they will ask about past pets, a pet not working out would work against you I'd imagine (I don't know the circumstances of course, but if I was doing a HV I'd want more info on that).

If you can't get a nearly trained guide dog, maybe you'd consider telling your parents that you would take the pup to training classes and work very hard on training. With the right guidance and LOADS of patience I'm sure you'd have a very well behaved dog. :) Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Both of the dogs my father took in for the guide dogs failed their training. One had to be pts (he had turned it vicious) and the other they gave to him so they could have an excuse to never allow him another one to train.

Because of the year with families before they begin their training, along with the new dogs for Autistic People there are very few that are not used and those that are not usually have something very wrong with them and cannot be homed with anyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Guide dogs rarely ask for a home visit. And please remember if you do go down this route the dog will not be perfect, or not even nearly. You might get a dog that is too hyper, nervous, has medical issues or needs extra work. You will not be getting a bomb proof dog.

Please do not go down this route if that is what your parents are seeking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

suziwalsh wrote: »
    Guide dogs rarely ask for a home visit. And please remember if you do go down this route the dog will not be perfect, or not even nearly. You might get a dog that is too hyper, nervous, has medical issues or needs extra work. You will not be getting a bomb proof dog.

Please do not go down this route if that is what your parents are seeking.

+1
    I've met a number of these dogs, and believe me your parents would have a fit if you ended up with one! They are not cheap, they can have pretty serious health problems, and from what I've seen the support you get post-purchase from IGDB is poor.
    There are a number of rescues out there who have lovely, calm, well-trained dogs who were surrendered by their owners through no fault of their own, but whose owners nevertheless have put a lot of work into them... Yes, some people have to surrender their dogs very much against their will! These cases are always sad but you do get a top-class dog.
    Try A Dogs Life, Dogs In Distress etc. However, you'll want to give a rescue a really good reason why your last dog didn't work out. The rescue might also need convincing that your parents are truly, 100% committed to getting a dog.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I also would not reccomend getting a failed guide dog if you only want it because it will already be trained. Through training your own dog, you build a bond that can never be broken, it is hard to do that with an already trained dog as it makes both of you lazy. Like everyone else said, they have failed as guide dogs for a reason; i know one who had a nervous breakdown thanks to the family who took him, and she is usually perfectly fine but one day turned on and attacked my dog for absolutely no reason at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Is there a very long waiting list for the retired guide dogs? Months? Years?

• Advertisement

Shanao wrote: »
    I also would not reccomend getting a failed guide dog if you only want it because it will already be trained. Through training your own dog, you build a bond that can never be broken, it is hard to do .
    but these guide dogs usually bond with the person that is a successfull candidate and i assume the candidate did not do the training except a small bit of bonding which could easily be achieved tru other ways. a bit off topic but does anyone know how much a successful candidate takes part in the dogs training or is the training completly done prior to meeting its eventual owner??

pokertalk wrote: »
    but these guide dogs usually bond with the person that is a successfull candidate and i assume the candidate did not do the training except a small bit of bonding which could easily be achieved tru other ways. a bit off topic but does anyone know how much a successful candidate takes part in the dogs training or is the training completly done prior to meeting its eventual owner??

But this bond will be through the dog working for their new owner. If it was going to be a case that the dog is wanted just because its trained, its not going to be working really. As I said, both owner and dog will just get lazy

Shanao wrote: »
    But this bond will be through the dog working for their new owner. If it was going to be a case that the dog is wanted just because its trained, its not going to be working really. As I said, both owner and dog will just get lazy
    well yeah i would not get one just because its trained but if i was to advise someone to get one it would be a retired one as they would be fairly laid back and just wanted to chill out for its last few years . and well deserved;)if thats what your looking for

Retired guide dogs are great alright.
    On that note, OP have you thought about a retired greyhound? They have brilliant temperaments, dont need much exercise and are so sweet.

Advertisement