Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthurs Day

• 20-07-2011 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

According to the guinness site some arthurs day events will be in Limerick this year. Just wondering has anyone heard anything about who might be playing in Limerick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭code name paul

Iang87 wrote: »
    According to the guinness site some arthurs day events will be in Limerick this year. Just wondering has anyone heard anything about who might be playing in Limerick

We have PADDY CASEY booked for O'C's in Little Ellen St....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Fair play and all that but i'd love to bash him over the head with his own guitar. He drives me bloody nuts.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Not really anything to write home about tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Not really anything to write home about tbh.

Yeah, it's a massive shame they are going to force us to go there at gunpoint. If only we were given the choice to not go if we didn't want to...

Casey is ok, wouldn't be my thing but I'm sure he's got some fans left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Are we all looking forward to Guinness Marketing Day again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

I love the way a particular bar goes to the expense of booking a nationally known artist and people grumble and complain about it. You just can't please some people :mad:

While it's a made up day, I drink Guinness anyway so any day it's cheap suits me fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

L.T.P. wrote: »
    I love the way a particular bar goes to the expense of booking a nationally known artist and people grumble and complain about it. You just can't please some people :mad:

Just coz everyone knows his name doesn't mean he's worth seeing. Do you really think any of the better acts will be sent to Limerick? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Just coz everyone knows his name doesn't mean he's worth seeing. Do you really think any of the better acts will be sent to Limerick? No.

Well he mightn't be your particular cup of tea but other people will be delighted to see him. I think it is great that a nationally known artist is playing a gig in Limerick and fair play to the people that went to the expense of booking him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I don't think Paddy Casey is part of the official Arthurs Day lineup so I'd say we could be getting someone better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

It always strikes me as amazing the way people have fallen for this rubbish.

Fair enough for the centenary or whatever, but at this stage it's ridiculous.

Despite occasionally drinking the stuff I refuse point-blank to drink it that day in protest, and I don't even go to the pub that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Same as Valentines day, Mother and Fathers Day....etc :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Mc Love wrote: »

In fairness there is a big difference. They are all stupid made up holidays too but Arthurs Day is the biggest joke of them all. Fair enough its an excuse for a night out and a bit of fun but I certainly ain't looking forward to all the people wishing each other a Happy Arthurs Day like last year.

Genius idea from Guinness but it shows how much of suckers the general public in Ireland are.

Not quite, because those at least have not only different ways to celebrate (some of which don't even cost money) they also have multiple vendors should you choose to indulge in that way.

Guinness Day is completely different in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Not quite, because those at least have not only different ways to celebrate (some of which don't even cost money) they also have multiple vendors should you choose to indulge in that way.

Guinness Day is completely different in that regard.

Its Arthurs Day - not Guinness Day, its a day of celebration of the birth of the world famous stout! The very same stout that is synonymous with Ireland.

Irish people just love to complain about things, if you dont want to celebrate then dont and if people want to celebrate the birth of Guinness - let them, I will hope to be celebrating, if guinness is cheaper or in some instances free, then isnt that something we should all be celebrating.

Jofspring wrote: »
    In fairness there is a big difference. They are all stupid made up holidays too but Arthurs Day is the biggest joke of them all. Fair enough its an excuse for a night out and a bit of fun but I certainly ain't looking forward to all the people wishing each other a Happy Arthurs Day like last year.

Genius idea from Guinness but it shows how much of suckers the general public in Ireland are.

Nonsense, Valentines day is a waste of energy, only a fool would fall for it. At least with Arthur's day you can get cheap drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 celliman

Yes to aurthurs day/night if it is on friday or sat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Dolan's should have a decent gig.

L.T.P. wrote: »

oh where to start!!!!! hopefully those that want to come out and have a good night will have one and hopefully those that want something "grumble and complain about" will have something to complain about, everyone happy!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭heresjohnnie

Arthurs Day is the best holiday ever!!! Others seem try to be all about going out having a laugh, but always have 'agendas', you need to buy a card, or a present, (or a series of cards and presents!!!), but the ony rule for Arthurs Day is that your in the pub for before 6pm.

Look, as much as people hate 'events', its things ike this which bring people together - with the state visits, most came together and developed a renewed sense of shared pride, with valentines or mothers/fathers day etc we get to express appreciation for our loved ones and the recipient gets to feel good about it, with days like Mardi Gras or Arthurs Day we have a bit of fun with our friends and strenghten ties. I think its great for our country (as it is a worldwide event, showcasing Guinness' Irish founding) and great for our people.... just because its commercially motivated, I dont think that should detract from people getting sucked into the excitement and build up - after all, if we didnt have any holidays, festivals or days/events of note - life would be pretty boring!

To Martha!!!

• Advertisement

Its Arthurs Day - not Guinness Day, its a day of celebration of the birth of the world famous stout! The very same stout that is synonymous with Ireland.

It's a marketing day for Guinness. Nothing more.

Do we celebrate whole days for other famous Irish brands ? Do we have a Baileys Day ? Do we have an Aer Lingus or RyanAir Day ?

If you want to buy in to the fake American PR that tries to manufacture a holiday, then that's up to you, but it's a PR stunt (a good one at that, but a stunt nonetheless) but it is NOT a national holiday or celebration like Diageo try to let on.

The best day ever, what about Christmas ( that should start of some real whingers :eek::eek:).....

If people could see the benefits of it locally and not get too tied up on the the main objective of it which we all know is about red and black...

I'm sure this is hardly the end of it tho!!!!!:cool:

Arthurs Day is the best holiday ever!!! Others seem try to be all about going out having a laugh, but always have 'agendas', you need to buy a card, or a present, (or a series of cards and presents!!!), but the ony rule for Arthurs Day is that your in the pub for before 6pm.

Look, as much as people hate 'events', its things ike this which bring people together - with the state visits, most came together and developed a renewed sense of shared pride, with valentines or mothers/fathers day etc we get to express appreciation for our loved ones and the recipient gets to feel good about it, with days like Mardi Gras or Arthurs Day we have a bit of fun with our friends and strenghten ties. I think its great for our country (as it is a worldwide event, showcasing Guinness' Irish founding) and great for our people.... just because its commercially motivated, I dont think that should detract from people getting sucked into the excitement and build up - after all, if we didnt have any holidays, festivals or days/events of note - life would be pretty boring!

To Martha!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭adaminho

Mardi gras was run by the pubs in the market quarter, pig and porter was sponsored by Heinz, area 22 and green zones were run by drinks company's. Who cares! It is something to do in town. And the reason it's on a Thursday is to bring business in on a night that would be otherwise quieter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh for fcuk sake. I swear people love to moan, who gives two you know what's if it is marketed. Every holiday is, does that mean you don't celebrate Paddy's Day? PLEASE!

I don't drink Guinness but any day that gets the majority of the public in high spirits and up for a laugh doesn't need to be analysed. It's just a laugh/night out, a bit of fun. Don't be a negative nancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

They're actually gonna have something official outside The Pale this year?

Shocker!!!!
    celliman wrote: »
    Yes to aurthurs day/night if it is on friday or sat.

I assume it'll be on a Thursday... It has been for the last 2 years anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

Resi12 wrote: »
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh for fcuk sake. I swear people love to moan, who gives two you know what's if it is marketed. Every holiday is, does that mean you don't celebrate Paddy's Day? PLEASE!

I don't drink Guinness but any day that gets the majority of the public in high spirits and up for a laugh doesn't need to be analysed. It's just a laugh/night out, a bit of fun. Don't be a negative nancy.

Great post!!

Some people are just so miserable that they cant be happy that most people will enjoy the day! Sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

They're actually gonna have something official outside The Pale this year?

Shocker!!!!

They had stuff on outside the pale last year too, just not in Limerick... Cork and Galway had their fair share of stuff.

Galway has been dropped this year, so expect Limerick to get similar acts to what was in Galway last year:
    David Gray, Newton Faulkner, Sharon Shannon, The Magic Numbers and local acts...
    These were all at an open air gig at the quays I've no idea what the setup is for Limerick...

So far Paddy Casey is the only confirmed act, although i'm not a massive fan I say fair play to O'Connels for getting him.

SoCo2009 wrote: »
    Great post!!

Some people are just so miserable that they cant be happy that most people will enjoy the day! Sad really.

Since I objected to the day, I presume that last snide sentence is aimed in my direction, however you got it completely wrong by stretching it to imply that (a) I was miserable and (b) begrudge other people enjoying themselves.

For your information, I'm by no means miserable and I can enjoy myself without resorting to drink, whether it be Diageo's or otherwise, or whether it's on a manufactured Guinness Day or a regular day. I also love to see people enjoying themselves as long as they're not making the city centre horrendous by getting hammered and making a show of themselves.

So basically, you're 100% wrong.

But enjoy following the sheep. I'll enjoy my Murphy's on the day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

So you first rubbish the idea of Arthurs day, even though you'll will be taking part???

• Advertisement

So you first rubbish the idea of Arthurs day, even though you'll will be taking part???

No, I won't be "taking part".

Advertisement