Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the Boards.ie office

Options
  • 20-07-2011 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Hello there,

I'm popping in to make my last post as Boards.ie Communications Manager. After almost 2 and a half years I'm leaving Boards.ie to try poverty and unemployment different projects and work with different organisations in helping them online.

It's been quite a difficult decision, not least because of the amount of work both Dav and I have put into the site since we joined. I'm very proud of my association with Boards.ie, very happy to have been involved at the time I was involved and really glad that since February 2009 we haven't been sued have brought the site to a different standard and understanding in many people's eyes.

We're now in a position where some of Ireland's top organisations use us for customer service, where companies want to be talked about on the site, where politicians and personalities want to talk to our members and readers and where Boards.ie is not just popular to a core group of users, but we have 2.3 million readers a month and almost 460,000 registered members. We're regularly quoted on the radio, in newspapers and on TV and, for the most part, we are respected. That for me is a huge win.

I'll still be online (you'll find me on Google+ here) and I'll be a member and contributor to the site. I have a huge belief in what the site can become and as much as I'm proud to have helped it develop this far, I'm also really looking forward to seeing what the team here can bring it to.

I owe a huge thank you particularly to Conor, Ross, Dav and Tom who I've worked with until now. A high five for giving me the chance and a hug for the patience. I also want to thank the admins and the moderators who we've worked closely with in helping the site develop and mature. Thanks to to Distilled Media and especially Paul and Gordon who have been brilliant supportive colleagues, mentors and employers. Thanks also to all the organisations, clients, law firms and media researchers who have been happy to work with us.

Most of all though I want to thank you, the member, the reader, the lurker and the contributor. The past two and a half years have been brilliant for me - as challenging as the job was at times, I've also loved the challenge, the opportunities and the coke and hookers benefits I've got from it. Thank you for your support when we've introduced new things, for your ideas and feedback, for your understanding when we had to take unpopular decisions and for your challenges and corrections when we made the wrong ones. A lot of passion and energy goes into Boards.ie - lots of it invisible - but it's been a great experience.

Overall, I hope I helped people and I hope I made people smile. If I achieved that, even a little, I think I'll have done well.

Thanks again and see you online soon

Darragh
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭davejacko

Sorry to see you go, best of luck with everything in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Best of luck with the new job Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

One of the single most nicest men I've ever met.

Head for the media world and a smile for the social. Will excel in everything and anything he puts his mind to.

To the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Thanks for the patience :D and constant good humour.

Look forward to you taking over the world somewhere else.

T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sorry to see you go!

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Glad to hear that you are still going to be a boardsie and will be posting.
    Don't be a stranger (well not any stranger then you already are, (unless it's too much fun not to))
    Onwards and upwards.
    Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Kudos for what you've given Boards.ie and best of luck with future ventures.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Fair play, Darragh. Nice to know you'll still be around the site a bit. :) Best of luck with your new projects!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭picaaf

just starting to learn and get my way around here and now you're leaving. veel succes !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

You'll be greatly missed, Darragh, although I'm glad you'll still be around as a regular member (don't let Google+ steal you away completely! :p) Best of luck with whatever else you decide to do, and thank you for everything you've done here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hopefully your good work will be carried on in your absence. Best of luck in your new ventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Good luck!

Bonus points for helping prevent any of us from getting sued.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sorry to hear you are leaving, Darragh. Best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Many thanks for everything you done through the years.

Your job was not easy and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that besides the hardship it caused at times you done it well.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

Best of Luck Darragh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Sorry to see you go Darragh

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Best of luck Darragh, Very good addition to the site

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Ah Darragh you have always been been such an asset to boards I felt. I am sorry to read your OP

but Best of Luck in your new endeavours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Sincere thanks Darragh for all the hard work over the past few years, and wishing you continued success with all new ventures in the future.

John.
    --

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saw the thread topic and thought they'd bought a new desk and water cooler.

Good luck with the new ventures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I remember when boards had no employees at all and it was hidden under a desk in Galway.

Someone tried to get me to post on it and I told him to stuff it up his arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

You were the best thing that happened to boards.ie and we thank you for all your work here. It is a better place now that you were here.

Thanks for everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Shame to see you going but glad to hear your sticking around as a member, good luck to you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Very sad to hear you're leaving Darragh, it was always a pleasure dealing with you.

From all of us here at ESB Electric Ireland - best wishes, and we've no doubt you'll make a success of your future plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Sorry to hear this, you will be a big loss to the Boards commmunity.

Thanks for everything Darragh, good luck for the future

Amongst many things, you sorted out the MCD ban here, a very big problem which threatened the future of the site if other companies had followed MCD's lead.

All the best,
    Skid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Sorry to see you leave, Darragh. Best of luck in the future. And thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Good luck in any future ventures Darragh you helped us a lot setting up our section and we are grateful.

Hopefully I will bump into you again at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Darragh wrote: »
    for the most part, we are respected. That for me is a huge win.

Not easy to do without a lot of politicians and company heads waking up next to a severed horse's head*. Good job, that man. Glad to see you sticking around, anyway.

*At least, not that we know. Eh? Eh? <waggles eyebrows>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

The end of an era

All the best Darragh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Best of luck in the future Darragh :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement