Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burzynski, the Movie: Cancer Is Serious Business

Options
  • 20-07-2011 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭

watched this yesterday, anyone who has cancer,or knows someone who has needs to watch this,or at the least read up on it.. this man is saving lives where there was no hope prior..

Burzynski is the story of a medical doctor and Ph.D biochemist named Dr. Stanislaw Burzynski who won the largest and possibly the most convoluted and intriguing legal battle against the Food an Drug Administration in American history.
    His victorious battles with the United States government were centered on Dr. Burzynski’s belief in and commitment to his gene-targeted cancer medicines he discovered in the 1970′s called Antineoplastons, which have currently completed Phase II FDA-supervised clinical trials in 2009 and could begin the final phase of testing in 2011-barring the ability to raise the $25 million to fund the first one.
    When Antineoplastons are approved, it will mark the first time in history a single scientist, not a pharmaceutical company, will hold the exclusive patent and distribution rights on a paradigm-shifting, life-saving medical breakthrough. Antineoplastons are responsible for curing some of the most incurable forms of terminal cancer. Various cancer survivors are presented in the film that chose his treatment instead of surgery, chemotherapy or radiation – with full disclosure of original medical records to support their diagnosis and recovery.
    One form of cancer – diffuse, intrinsic, childhood brainstem glioma has never before been cured in any experimental clinical trial in the history of medicine. Antineoplastons hold the first cures in history – dozens of them. Burzynski takes the audience through the treacherous, yet victorious, 14-year journey both Dr. Burzynski and his patients have had to endure in order to obtain FDA-approved clinical trials of Antineoplastons.
    However, what was revealed a few years after Dr. Burzynski won his freedom, helps to paint a more coherent picture regarding the true motivation of the U.S. government’s relentless prosecution of Stanislaw Burzysnki.

my apoligies if its been put up before, i dont have cancer thankfully,just thought it should be seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBUGVkmmwbk&feature=player_embedded

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

No no no. I can't emphasise enough that this man is an absolute quack with fraudulent qualifications, and no real cure. Please don't raise false hope in those who are battling life-threatening illnesses, it's simply not fair.

That movie is not an un-biased view, documentary, or anything like it. It's a puff piece designed to promote a therapy that doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

how can you say that? have you seen the results he has achieved?

all the efforts the fda went to trying to stop him when all he ever did was help people!!! and they lost time and time again !!!

how can you say that??

please have proof because the only proof i have seen is that people who have terminal cancer have lived and thrived (not all).

believe me i will climb down off my horse very quickly and apoligise if you show me proof he is a quack.. ive seen none,only propoganda that he is, by the fda,

have you even watched the docu?

I recommend you start by reading this quackwatch page detailing his qualifications (or rather, lack thereof). Then move on to this wikipedia page which provides more detail on the antineoplastons.

Finally, I suggest you look at these blogs (one, my own) which go into more detail again about the way in which he takes advantage of vulnerable people.

And yes, I have watched the documentary. It's not the first "alternative cancer treatment" documentary that I've seen, and it didn't convince me any more than any of the others which I have seen.

the blogs one you linked dosent help your case in proving he is a fake,reading the comments below it they slate the blog and defend the doctor?

how is it that there are no reported cases of his treatment harming anyone,only helping them?

as for the other one, the 21st floor, its just a rant by someone,no basis on anything other than his opinion, and he also states that a drug company could not replicate burzynski's results !!

the whole docu is about that and their reasons behind it,and still the man has done no harm,only good, your making out he's charging the earth for treatment, if its terminal cancer you have and are cured how much is that treatment worth..?

bear in mind the fda agreed his treatments worked and did no harm?

what am i missing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Axe Rake

Kila wrote: »
    No no no. I can't emphasise enough that this man is an absolute quack with fraudulent qualifications, and no real cure. Please don't raise false hope in those who are battling life-threatening illnesses, it's simply not fair.

That movie is not an un-biased view, documentary, or anything like it. It's a puff piece designed to promote a therapy that doesn't work.

If he was a fraud he would not have been acquitted from all the Grand Juries and still have a viable business to run. Not to mention all his patients defend him vigorously. You cannot have people with such a terrible disease support you unless the treatment actually works.

Chemotherapy and radiation therapy might help against cancer but it is essentially fighting poison with poison. The long term effects on the body are quite dangerous (even in the form of other cancers).

If you think it does not work then that is fine, but please let others research and choose for themselves.

Kila wrote: »
    I recommend you start by reading this quackwatch page detailing his qualifications (or rather, lack thereof). Then move on to this wikipedia page which provides more detail on the antineoplastons.

Finally, I suggest you look at these blogs (one, my own) which go into more detail again about the way in which he takes advantage of vulnerable people.

And yes, I have watched the documentary. It's not the first "alternative cancer treatment" documentary that I've seen, and it didn't convince me any more than any of the others which I have seen.

"Quackwatch" sites are run by Stephen Barret and he masquerades as a consumer advocate and as a doctor. Barrett has sued 41 people and/or companies in many different alternative medicine type of professions such as chiropractic and homeopathy. He has not won a single case to date but he continues to file lawsuit after lawsuit. In court, it was revealed that Dr. Stephen Barrett is not even a licensed medical doctor. He had failed the psychiatric exam for certification.

Barrett also had to concede his ties to the AMA, Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and Food & Drug Administration (FDA). He is just another puppet of the pharmaceutical industry pushing an agenda.

http://www.canlyme.com/quackwatch.html
    http://www.foundationforhealthchoice.com/victory_barett.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Another thread here....

$20,000 a month for treatment apparently....for 6 to 12 months, another Clinic looking for the same money over the same timeline.

The Internet is absolutely useless for looking up things like this, there's just to many powerful people out there with to much to lose, what one crowd say is a cure, the other crowd say is a scam, but both have patient safety/well being at heart. How is one to know who's lying??

Humans really are a pathetic species when money is involved. Scum.

The main reason why I'd question any of the above, or cures in general though is every so often someone where money is no object to them get Cancer or some other incurable/untreatable disease but they get the same treatment as the average joe.

Steve Jobs for example, (Pancreatic Cancer) one would imagine if a cure was out there a guy with $6.1billion in the bank would have access to it. You'd have to wonder if Burnzski's method worked, why didn't he do it?

Before and after pics.

i agree with you, he does also say it wont cure all cancers,i in 3 or i in 4 have been proven over time to have been eliminated by his treatment.

quite remarkable i say

appreciate your input into my posts thank you axe rake and hal

Perhaps the information here will be of use, as you didn't like the summaries of it elsewhere. I have also examined the papers published on the topic, but most of them are not in the public domain, so unless you have access to medical journals, you won't be able to follow the links.

There have only been basic studies into the effectiveness of the treatment, and they have almost all been by Burzynski himself; this is hardly an example of independent verification. Additionally, studies attempting to replicate the results he describes have been unable to do so. This is the gold standard of scientific and medical experimentation - the reason that these papers include "materials and methods" is so that other scientists can duplicate your materials and methods, and verify the results independently. The publications are mostly toxicity reports, case studies, and phase 1 trials (which only test for toxicity, not effectiveness). These are not considered to be conclusive by the medical or scientific community, and case studies are among the weakest forms of published research and "proof".

The therapy has not been rigorously tested at any stage of its development, and has not been properly trialled in a randomised controlled clinical trial, again, the gold standard for proving effectiveness of medical treatment.

Several side effects to the antineoplastons have been noted, ranging from mild to serious. These are not well publicised, but they include seizures, brain swelling, hypernatraemia, and other similar conditions.

Regarding how much treatment is worth, I ask how much you would charge if you discovered a cheap and effective treatment for cancer? Would you charge as much as he does? If his entire basis of argument is that "big pharma" don't want him to make a profit from it, then why does he charge so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 drg85

Oh joy, this old chesnut again? The man is a self publicising fraud. The conjecture proposed doesn't stand up to medical scrutiny & at the end of the day, there's a lovely credo in science - if your theory doesn't agree with experiment, something is screwy.

Personally 'cause I'm into medical science as a career I follow cases like this all the time. There are a shocking amount of charlatans claiming to have cures for all ills - they do not, and when they fail to produce the evidence, they blame the system. It's quite predictable really, but disgusting to watch as they exploit those suffering.

Another credo - a documentary is NOT research. While some documentaries are well researched and accurate, many others forward wildly inaccurate views and are downright awful in terms of veracity. Also, lots of medical research into new treatments and drugs is done by individuals and small groups. A quick search on pubmed for novel cancer treatments shows this. I'll write about this later but in the interim, you'll find my science and medicine blog at 3menmakeatiger.blogspot.com and there's lots on fraud claims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

this is more for ct than lti.
    locked.

op, start a thread in CT if you wish, although i think there's already one there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement