Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ISP (dublin) for gaming?

• 20-07-2011 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Anyone have any opinions on this?

i'm torn between UPC and Smart at the moment, i don't need crazy download speeds but i do want low pings and contention. i think.
    :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

UPC without a doubt :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭kirving

eircom was better than UPC for me. I often get kicked out of games for ping issues with UPC.

Speed wise, UPC wins hands down, but that doesn't actually matter gaming, despite UPC's adverts.

I'd still chose UPC over smart tho, purely because they're a bigger company and have all their own equipment and lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this is designed for gamers but is it worth it?

http://www.magnet.ie/magnetbolt/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭kirving

Doubt it, even with me being kicked off on UPC, I wouldn't pay a premium as the speed is still great and it's reliable enough. Their Cisco router is rubbish though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

upc. never had a problem with gaming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

eircom was better than UPC for me. I often get kicked out of games for ping issues with UPC.

Speed wise, UPC wins hands down, but that doesn't actually matter gaming, despite UPC's adverts.

I'd still chose UPC over smart tho, purely because they're a bigger company and have all their own equipment and lines.

Do you mean other gamers see you have a bad ping speed and kick you!? Or do you think is this an automatic feature of the game, i.e. do you 'lose' connection to server.

It does depend a lot on where the other players are and where the game servers are. Do you play popular games on XBOX live or play more obscure titles or PC (MMORPG?) games?

There are steps you can try to improve communication for games like modifying firewall rules and NAT type. Depends what your playing though. It can depend on the multiplayer architecture of the game too, like if they use game players as hosts for each game or not.

To answer your real question though, I doubt any ISP will deliver significantly better line quality than UPC.

The best thing to do might be to start a thread for people (in your area maybe) to post their pingtest.net results (measure line quality) here. Then you could compare ISP results. Is there such a thread already somewhere on boards? Probably.

UPC, hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I agree, UPC is by far the best, So much so that I'm the host 9 times out of 10 in any game I play online.

Advertisement