Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Market For A New Kayak

• 20-07-2011 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm 17 and I have been paddling for around 2 years. I currently have an old Pyranha Stuntbat. Its a decent enough kayak but I want to progress to something shorter and more agile. I want a boat that can mainly run rivers but that can also do some playboating and surfing. I have mainly been paddling the Shannon near Castleconnell.

Can anyone give me some advice on some potential secondhand boats.What brands should I avoid? My budget is around 450 euro .

I was looking at boats like the Dagger GT and the Pyranha 7 Zero. I was considering this one :

http://www.adverts.ie/boats-accessories/kayak-playboat/731500

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

would the Dagger GT be more along the lines of a Pyranaha Inazone.
    The boat on adverts looks much smaller than a Dagger GT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Ya I think the GT is around 230cm and so is the Inazone but the one on Adverts is just over 210.I'm swinging towards the one on Adverts.I've been searchin around and I've heard good things about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

i don't like the GT i'd recommend something like a wavesport fuze or pyranha varun

But arent Varuns very expensive because they are pretty new?

thats true i only though of that after i posted it......dagger outlaw/showdown, wavesport ezg is another or dagger juice are other ones to look at. There's the inazone as well :P

• Advertisement

ec18 wrote: »
    thats true i only though of that after i posted it......dagger outlaw/showdown, wavesport ezg is another or dagger juice are other ones to look at. There's the inazone as well :P

Thanks I'll have a look around for some of them.

Ive looked on every site I can think of and I have come to the conclusion that there is a shortage of second hand kayaks in this country.Theres only a couple for sale on every site and a lot of them arent what I'm looking for.

Can anyone recommend some Irish sites to look for kayaks? I've tried I-canoe,Irish Freestyle,Done Deal,Adverts.ie,Deal.ie and Buy and Sell to name a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

you could have a look at colorado kayak supply they have a few scratch and dent and second hand ones. As well you can get a new boat for ~800 ish delivered to your door :)

It can take a while to find something on irish freetsyle.......if you put up a wanted post it might speed things up.

you could have a look at colorado kayak supply they have a few scratch and dent and second hand ones. As well you can get a new boat for ~800 ish delivered to your door :)

It can take a while to find something on irish freetsyle.......if you put up a wanted post it might speed things up.

Do you have any idea how much one would cost to ship over here?

• Advertisement

i was looking at getting a liquidlogic jefe from there and the price came to 850 including shipping.......the shipping adds about ~130 onto the price of the boat......but with the dollar low at the minute you make a nice saving ;)

i was looking at getting a liquidlogic jefe from there and the price came to 850 including shipping.......the shipping adds about ~130 onto the price of the boat......but with the dollar low at the minute you make a nice saving ;)

I was looking at getting one and including shipping it came to around 720 euro which was a good saving but then I realised that I would have to pay 13.5% VAT and I think 18% import duty which was going to bring it to over 900 euro.Its not realy worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

stay clear of donedeal, adverts etc. they are where people will rip you off, big style. a sub 7 for 450? not a hope. it is worth about 250, max. the best spot for second hand boats is irishfreestyle, and your local kayak club bulletin board. to get a good deal you need to bide your time. maybe post up an add on irishfreestyle saying "wanted- (boat type here)" make sure your add is very clear on what you want, and how much you want to spend. saying "um i want something kinda like this or that" will be read as " i dont have a clue, please rip me off". the way to go is; " wanted- inazone 230 - no holes or dents - will pay 300 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

there is some rubish on donedeal, but adverts have ok deals every now and then...

I ended up getting the Sub 7 for 375.The seat adjusters are a bit rusty so I'll have to replace them but I'm happy with it.It'll be a big improvement over what I have now anyway

After using my Sub 7 for around a month now I've realised that I'm too light for it.I think I'm right on the lower weight limit .As a result I dont feel in complete control of it and I cant even get the front under.There was around 7 or 8 inches of empty space at the front so I decided to fill it with foam to create a footrest so I could have more control but this hasn't seemed to fix the problem.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what I could do or will I have to buy a smaller boat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 between swims

looks like your going to have to go smaller liquid logics are good lots of contole plus you can have some fun in the waves.
    Most youl find now are second hand and are a good price so keep your eye out ;)

looks like your going to have to go smaller liquid logics are good lots of contole plus you can have some fun in the waves.
    Most youl find now are second hand and are a good price so keep your eye out ;)

I'm on Done Deal and Irish Freestyle about 5 times a day keeping my eyes peeled.Bought a 2nd hand Pyranha Karnali for 200 euro yesterday.I'm hoping to do some creeking this winter

Advertisement