Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stressed

Options
  • 20-07-2011 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I am at the moment 35 weeks pregnant. I'm meant to start my maternity leave the 10th of August but don't think I can stick work until then. I lay awake most nights unable to sleep and dread the thoughts of work.

Very little responsibility is given to me and I feel completely useless. The days are dragging by because of boredom/ tiredness and this is getting me really down.

This coupled with trying to move house has me really wound up.

Can my gp sign me off until maternity leave starts?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

The GP can sign you off, however I think (although not 100% sure on this) that if you are signed off for a pregnancy related reason in the weeks leading up to when your maternity leave is due to start your employer can demand that it is counted as the start of your maternity leave.

Again...not 100% sure on this, and even if this is the case it doesn't mean your employer will do this. They could also just leave it as sick leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Noopti wrote: »
    The GP can sign you off, however I think (although not 100% sure on this) that if you are signed off for a pregnancy related reason in the weeks leading up to when your maternity leave is due to start your employer can demand that it is counted as the start of your maternity leave.

Again...not 100% sure on this, and even if this is the case it doesn't mean your employer will do this. They could also just leave it as sick leave.

In my company, if you are off sick for a pregnancy related reason within 4 weeks of your expected week of childbirth then your maternity leave will automatically start. I think this is a legal requirement.

If it is more than 4 weeks to your due date then this will not effect you so you might be able to take sick leave without your maternity leave being started early. Stress is no good for you or the baby :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭smileyeyes

Hi Jem 123! My heart goes out to you as you do sound stressed and fed up!:o

If I was you I would make appointment with GP and tell him that you are stressed and ask him to sign you off. I got signed off early on my previous pregnancy due to high blood pressure and was allowed to claim "Illness Benefit". You can only claim "Maternity Benefit" 4 weeks prior to your due date as far as I am aware.

Hope this helps......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

Thanks everyone. I think I will try it at appointment on Monday can't see myself sticking it out until 10th!

Advertisement